Ares Games

Thread: In Memorium

Default In Memorium

This has a very roundabout connection to WWI aircraft. A friend and co-worker of mine passed away this week, Scott Bennie. We worked on several Star Trek and Lord of the Rings titles together when we worked at Interplay (though modern gamers are more likely to recognize Fallout). I was producing our second Star Trek game, and Scott always had wanted to write an episode of Star Trek. Well, a scenario for a computer game is distinctly a consolation prize, but the original cast would read and speak his deathless prose, and become officially approved by Paramount, so I asked him to submit scenario ideas that he could write. This opened a floodgate of enthusiasm and he probably submitted a half dozen or so ideas. I sorted through them and pretty quickly discarded most. The synopsis for one caught my eye: Trelane, the erstwhile very naughty boy/Squire of Gothos, discovers WWI history and as the Red Baron of Gothos, attacks the Enterprise in a Fokker triplane!

So, that was our contribution to gaming WWI aerial warfare: Starships and Triplanes, beating Ares to the punch on the SF connection. Here’s to you, Scott! Rest In Peace.

Sorry to here that; condolences. I still have some old Interplay games in my computer desk. Castles and I believe Star Fleet Command are in there. I’m pretty sure I have some more…

that red squire attacking the enterprise in a dr1 sounds intriguing!