Ares Games

Thread: A Spark Of Hope

Default A Spark Of Hope

April 5th, 1918
    "Attention, officer in the room!"
    "Thankyou Giles, at ease everyone... whats this? A last meal?"
    "Well, after seeing the mission brief this morning I thought it would be a good idea... I mean dam-it, if those rockets don't explode on takeoff, how do you expect to hit a moving target?"
    "We shall see my old friend, I am sure the army will think of something to have our three-leged-friend nice and out in the open"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Set Up.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	313207

It has to be said those army boys are dam right brave, the tripod could not be set up any better. It is moving directly forward to the centre of our lines. I have only to get to lower my altitude and fire the rockets and we will see if they work...

Name:	Turn 1b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	313208

A little lower... almost there... stay on target.... dam it! the dam thing turned... arggggg the black smoke!

Name:	Turn 2b.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	313209

Come on turn! before the machine gets to those boys on the ground! Oh no, I'm not going to make it! Run lads, run... too late... Well it least I've got a clear shot...

Name:	Turn 3b.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	313210

wow, that was close! Maybe that second shot was a bad idea, but the heat-ray felt less hot.... like it lacked energy... dam-it its heading straight for another unit... what the!? Its picking up the men and spewing out some kind of red liquid....

Name:	Turn 4b.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	313211

think man! I'm not going to be able to complete the mission by racing after it! Thats it, I'll intercept the bugger when it goes after the other unit of infantry... crap that black smoke again... ok I'm through... lining up... this is it! rockets away!!

Name:	Turn 5b.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	313212

Kaboooommm! two direct hits... dam-it!... the shield is still up... at least I know where its heading next...

Name:	Turn 6b.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	313213

well lets take it down the old fashion way then... dakakakakaka

Name:	Turn 7b.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	313214

...dakakakakakakakaka... dam shield!

Name:	Turn 8b.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	313215

Debrief

My mistakes:
    I forgot about the altitude rules and firing from turn 4 onwards.
    And a big DOH! I used the wrong Damage cards!! no wonder getting through the shield was sooooo hard, I used the cards from WoG and not T&T. WoG do not have the energy symbols in the top left corner.. However, using the photos and the correct decks, the only change would have been the use of black smoke turn 7, the Tripod would have been at 0 energy at this point, but otherwise the shield stopped all the rest...

What I would modify:
    The complexity of using rockets, but I have an idea that might work and will go onto my "April Workbench".
    I think black smoke should only effect altitude 1. Strategically this would make for better gameplay.
    I need more planes on the table at the same time (another idea for Aprils Workbench ;-) )
    I find it a bit odd that the Nieuport 16 uses the damage deck B? all the others use deck A...
    The skill card was never used... I wonder if a "Character Sheet" system for pilots would work, they gain skill points for certain actions that can be spent on skill cards... umm... I can feel a proposal in "House Rules" will not be far off.. :-)
    AND...yes.. House Rules for ground troops... they are on the way... promise ;-)...

Ni.16 only has the guts for one machinegun. A deck = 2 guns, B deck = 1.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

ah ok thanks for the info :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    ah ok thanks for the info :-)
    Glad to help. WGF doesn't have the nice straightforward pattern of WGS, probably because the older game was kind of developed on the fly rather than holistically planned.
    Damage Type-> A B C D
    WGF 2x MG 1x MG Cannon/Flak Rocket
    WGS .30 MG .50 MG 20mm/other light cannon heavy cannon/flak?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. Tripods Scenario 2 - A Spark of Hope April 1st 1918
    By Baz in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-29-2021, 12:06
  2. Tripods Scenario 2 - A Spark of Hope April 1st 1918
    By Baz in forum T&T: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2021, 06:48
  3. The Bloom of Hope ?
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0