Ares Games

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Default Star Trek Discovery

I just soldiered through to the end of season 4. I am thinking I deserve a medal for doing so. Once upon a time I was a fan but this ....... ? Anyone liked it?

Gary, I stopped watching Discovery after the first couple of episodes in Season 1. Too dark and not the vision Gene Roddenberry had for the future. Thanks for confirming my impressions.

Interesting sci fi, better if you pretended it had nothing to do with Star Trek (which was easy to do since it shared practically nothing with previous series until Pike and the Enterprise popped up )

I watched Season 1 within my trail period. After that I was fine not signing up for CBS.

Hated it.

The Captain was an interesting character, but the pseudo-Vulcan woman was insipid and two-dimensional, and the whole idea of the ship popping up anywhere, any time owing to harnessing a galactic whale .....and that the ship was the "only one" which could do this...

And as for the "reboot" Klingons ...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

The Klingons.....I could not get past the horrible Klingons!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    The Klingons.....I could not get past the horrible Klingons!
    So that’s what they were pretending to be

I cannot help wondering what would happen if a 1000 year old warship turned up today what our reaction would be. Maybe with a few upgrades it might be more powerful than a carrier group?

I think that a 1000 year old warship (basically a Viking Longship!) would need a hell of a lot of upgrades to become a contender in the modern age!

I think I know what you MEANT....a ship from 1000 years in the future?

Such a vessel almost certainly would need no upgrades at all - its Electronic Warfare outfit alone would probably wipe all the systems on all of the ships and planes in a carrier group, leaving them helpless.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

You went past the first couple of episodes?! You need several medals…and more hobbies to take up your time. ST has been horrible for years. Crappy writing, woke scripts, poor execution; it’s something that doesn’t even deserve to be shown on the CW.

I bought the first 2 series on Blue ray...so was going to watch them come hell or high water...
    I haven't watched any more.

I am now watching Picard however, and am quite enjoying it. (Even though it isn't perfect either.)

Not even interested. Orville was top line, Picard had it's points, and looking forward to the Classic reboot (Not sure if it is TV or fan based though). So tired or the woke garbage I do not even try anymore.

i waded through the 1st 12 episodes then quit in disgust. violation of canon, bad acting, worse writing, insipid vision, overly dark visuals, nihilistic tone. and the whole concept of never before spoken about mikey spock. utter nonsense. ive seen reviews and snippets of the other episodes and series. and i will not watch anything wrongly labeled as "star trek" by this particular group of "creators". they are obviously in far, far over their head. and instead of "learning to swim" theyre draining the pool down to their level. and dont get me started on this 25+% different trek look!
    give us some REAL star trek paramount! fire anyone currently associated with this NOT star trek garbage, erase its very existence, and start over!. and for gods sake, NO MORE PREQUALS!!!!!

As a die hard Star Trek fan i had to at least try out despite its bad reputation. I gave up during the season 3. There ware some great characters and some absolutely goddamit irritating ones (that female ingeneer, for Christ's sake any time she opens her mouth i wanna fire my blaster). I don't care much about the canon violations and such, i treat it just like the Kelvin line - sort of a Mirror universe, a side story, .... the Kelvin line movies were fantastic. The first two that is.
    I loved Orville though, and i hope the upcoming season will be as much fun. I still have to see Picard, never been much into TNG, so i am not in hurry.

I am also a Star Trek fan, and also watch how the mores of the time effect the show, more than the story line.

Similar Missions

1. For the Star Trek & Formula 1 fans!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2017, 15:24
  2. Star Trek Attack Wing
    By Boney10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 16:29
  3. Star Trek is not too Far Away
    By OldGuy59 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22