Ares Games

Thread: Bombing sequence WWI

Users Country Flag

Name
    stefaan
    Sorties Flown

Default Bombing sequence WWI

I have downloaded the bombing chart example and looked at the other thread, but I'm still confused and have several questions...

1. In the diagram, there's only 2 maneuver cards? What do you put as 3d maneuver? The bomb card ( but since both sides show bombs it's not secret...) or a normal manouver card that's executed after the bomb-drop??

2. The bomb card is put down after the 2nd maneuver instead of the plane stand? Once you resolved the bombing outcome, do you put the plane stand where the bomb card was before?

3. Is the bomb card always put down after the second maneuver? Or can you choose after the 2nd or 3rd?

4. Does the 2nd maneuver always have to be a straight maneuver? I think I saw a stall card used as well somewhere.

You see, I'm confused like hell. It's not clear to me at all
    Can someone please explain in detail? thanks!!

This is so much easier to show someone than explain, I hope this clears it up for you.

First the Bomb card is just a game counter or marker to represent the bombs themselves, it is not a maneuver card and does not need to be hidden from the other players. The two sides represents dropping a single bomb on one side or a group of bombs on the other to adjust the amount of damage done.

Second the maneuver card used to place the bomb card does not effect the movement of the aircraft at all. This maneuver card is simply a range card for the bombs, and locates the spot the bombs land.

Here is the sequence.
    1. Choose your 3 maneuver cards for the game turn like you always do.
    2. On whichever maneuver you decide to drop your bombs (1,2,or3), place the bomb card on one side of your plane base before moving to indicate you are dropping them.
    3. Move your plane using the maneuver card you chose for that maneuver phase.

What happens next depends on what maneuver you just played.
    If you played a STALL or short arrow maneuver, use a straight STALL card from your deck for step 4
    If you played any other maneuver card including Turns and Side Slips, use a long STRAIGHT card from your deck for step 4

4. Place the appropriate maneuver card for the bomb drop location in front of the airplane stand as if you were placing it for movement.
    5. Place the bomb card at the end of this maneuver card as if it was an airplane card. This is the location that the bombs land.
    6. Resolve the bomb damage and remove the bomb card and the maneuver card. DO NOT move the aircraft.
    7. On the next maneuver phase the aircraft continues movement using the next maneuver card you have already chosen, or will choose if the bomb drop happened on the 3rd maneuver card for the game turn.

Does that help?

Users Country Flag

Name
    stefaan
    Sorties Flown

You sir are my hero! It's cristal clear now.

The key things are that you can choose to bomb on any maneuver card ( not restricted to the start of the turn ) and that the movement of the plane is completely independent from the bomb card and the stall or straight card used for the bomb trajectory. I was mixing these things...

Quote Originally Posted by greenbull View Post

The key things are that you can choose to bomb on any maneuver card ( not restricted to the start of the turn ) and that the movement of the plane is completely independent from the bomb card and the stall or straight card used for the bomb trajectory. I was mixing these things...
    It is all about that whole "Newton's Laws of Motion" silliness... Once you release the bombs, they want to continue heading in the direction you were heading (in addition to heading down, due to Newton's "Gravity" silliness), not the the new direction you may be heading. You go your way, the bombs go their way, and you hope that they end up somewhere close to where you wanted them to go.

OK... saying that like makes it clear as mud... Charlie is the man!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by greenbull View Post

Glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    ...Charlie is the man!
    I've been telling people that for years but nobody listens, and the ones that do just snicker at me.

Similar Missions

1. Top Bombing
    By Strangely Brown in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 13:52
  2. Le Prier Rocket sequence
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 03:37
  3. Bombing
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2