Ares Games
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Any news on new models?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I think at this point the mini game is dead. Not due to lack of interest but due to lack of support at the hobby shop level. They will have to build from the ground up if they want to reenter the market. That is why I mentioned Kickstarter, it is about the only way to reach new customers.
    I think this is a bigger problem for Ares than they want to admit if they even believe it. In the stores around here at least Ares does not have a good reputation. From the viewpoint of a shop owner, why would they want to carry items for a game that they've had a long history (literally years) of being unable to get stock, especially when nobody is playing it in their store or even asking about it? There are too many games out there that they can get easy replenishment for them to have to deal with the Ares dumpster fire.

As to Kickstarter, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they do a Kickstarter some time back - and then they never produced all of the items that were promised in the campaign? If so, I'd think it would be somewhat difficult for them to convince people to trust them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    I haven't been on the forum for a while. I come back and it is the same old situation regarding the aeroplanes that we all want to buy. My FLGS will no longer sell any of the Ares Games ranges because of the lack of product to sell in their store. And it is the same at wargames shows here in the UK. No one has any stock to sell to us or to any new players who have enjoyed playing this wonderful game. Thank god for Shapeways, Valom and many other companies that make the aeroplanes that we all crave. For this situation to change I think that Ares Games needs to sell Wings of Glory to another company that will actually produce products for us to buy.
    The problem of the FLGS not being able to get planes from Ares is not a new one. In my previous job I had a large geographic territory to cover. During my travels I made it a point to visit every game store I could find on Google that was located in my territory. This included the five largest cities in Kentucky by population as well as Nashville, TN. Only ONE of the stores was carrying the game (to be fair, some had never carried it, though that does lead to the question of "why?"). The reason I was given in EVERY case was they stopped carrying it because they could not get stock from the distributors, who in turn told the store owners that they could not get stock from Ares. I reported all of this here on the forum, only to have someone from Ares post a response that essentially said I was imagining things. The one store that "carried" it had exactly one copy of the BoB set, with no other planes.

I think from a brick and mortar standpoint the game may be dead so long as the game is owned by Ares. I don't see stores ever going back to carrying it after having to deal with this issue for years (though I admit that I could be wrong). If it were taken over by a company with the desire and - most importantly - the resources to properly support it, then it might be able to be a success at the retail level. In fact, I don't see any other way forward for this game to live on otherwise. The off market products you mention are fine for those of us already playing the game, but don't really do anything to attract new players, and no game can survive (or at least, thrive) without new blood.

I agree with you 100 % Bob. I just wish that Ares Games could open their eyes to see what is happening to their fantastic game. Then allow another company like Warlord Games to take over. As they seem to have the drive to get products out there for their customers to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Are you referring to the announced balloons and Nieuport 16? If so, while nice to hear, it's best to not get your hopes up and take Ares at their word until you actually see the product available to order from an online retailer.
    Well, those are the only ones announced so far, Bob, and were alluded to by Ares when Peter spoke with them several weeks ago but I've been here long enough not to put any hope in any suggestions, or, announcements by anyone on products, or, delivery dates from Ares. Been there way too often for that, now I only believe it when it's on my table !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    I agree with you 100 % Bob. I just wish that Ares Games could open their eyes to see what is happening to their fantastic game. Then allow another company like Warlord Games to take over. As they seem to have the drive to get products out there for their customers to buy.
    Or let a consortium of folks here on the 'drome get together, do a Kickstarter or Go Fund Me, and buy the Wings line from Ares!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I think at this point the mini game is dead. Not due to lack of interest but due to lack of support at the hobby shop level. They will have to build from the ground up if they want to reenter the market. That is why I mentioned Kickstarter, it is about the only way to reach new customers.

you cant blame hobby shops for not carrying a game that only has limited product to offer players. space on the shelves MUST be filled. if not by 1 game, than by another.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    you cant blame hobby shops for not carrying a game that only has limited product to offer players. space on the shelves MUST be filled. if not by 1 game, than by another.
    And to follow on that - why would a store owner give some of that space to a game by a company with a proven track record of no support and inability to provide stock instead of to a game that can easily be replenished?

I do not believe that Ares can get WoG back into most stores, which means that thier path forward if they release anything new will have to be primarily through online retailers.

I'm going to stick my neck in the noose here and support Ares. Have none of you ever heard of "The Product Life Cycle"? From the marketing point of view, Ares is a games producer and relies on turnover to survive. The Life Cycle of Wings of Glory is over, from their point of view. They have moved on. So any effort they put, into trying to keep this product line alive, is a bonus for us. We should be grateful for that and thank them with rather more positive comments. Instead, all I read are a lot of complaints, because as wargamers, you are not getting more and more out of something which Ares probably struggles to provide. They are a small outfit I believe.
    As for talk of "Flood the game with in-app purchases" and "Half the population of Asia .... etc etc" - I'm not sure whether or not to find such comments offensive. Something about that last post doesn't sound very pleasant to my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    As for talk of "Flood the game with in-app purchases" and "Half the population of Asia .... etc etc" - I'm not sure whether or not to find such comments offensive. Something about that last post doesn't sound very pleasant to my ear.
    Offensive I would agree Mike, especially as the digital product mentioned was only released last July under license by Ares as a new product.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I'm going to stick my neck in the noose here and support Ares. Have none of you ever heard of "The Product Life Cycle"? From the marketing point of view, Ares is a games producer and relies on turnover to survive. The Life Cycle of Wings of Glory is over, from their point of view. They have moved on. So any effort they put, into trying to keep this product line alive, is a bonus for us. We should be grateful for that and thank them with rather more positive comments. Instead, all I read are a lot of complaints, because as wargamers, you are not getting more and more out of something which Ares probably struggles to provide. They are a small outfit I believe.
    I agree totally. I am just very happy they are putting out any product to support Wings at all. They easily could just drop Wings and move on.

Without ARES where would all the gripers be?

There are other sources for any plane you want.

"But I don't paint".

Well, maybe its time to learn or pay someone to.

"Where do I get movement decks and stands"?

There are many 'How To Do It" threads here to show whats to be done.

If you really want something, don't depend on others to get/do it for you.

Its easy to be the negative critic but its much better to be the positive supporter.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-01-2023 at 18:08.

I really think the one thing Ares could do, which has been asked for many times, would be to sell their movement decks separately.
    They did do that for the damage decks for T&T.

Keep a couple of the Dual packs in print, one with 'A' guns and one with 'B' and keep the Rules and Accessories available.
    Sell basic bases and pegs separately.

As much as I'd like to see Ares continue to grow the line, I think that bird has flown.
    Daryl's Reduced Aircraft Factory provides multitudes of aircraft possibilities, all pre-coloured and ready to go.
    We just need him to start up a WGS line as well ...

This announcement: Ares will be at booth #541 at Gen Con 2023, Aug 3-6. I've emailed them to ask if they will have stock of WGF, WGS, and Tripods&Triplanes to purchase but the announcement focuses mainly on board games and I suspect even the balloons will simply be a pre-order form. If I learn more details from Ares or if anyone is attending, please update

edit: My email received two replies, 6 minutes apart. The first said "you will find our models there for Wings, Tripod and Triplanes is sold out." The second said "yes! See you at our booth 541."
    Last edited by malachi; 07-31-2023 at 07:02.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    This announcement: Ares will be at booth #541 at Gen Con 2023, Aug 3-6. I've emailed them to ask if they will have stock of WGF, WGS, and Tripods&Triplanes to purchase but the announcement focuses mainly on board games and I suspect even the balloons will simply be a pre-order form. If I learn more details from Ares or if anyone is attending, please update

edit: My email received two replies, 6 minutes apart. The first said "you will find our models there for Wings, Tripod and Triplanes is sold out." The second said "yes! See you at our booth 541."
    Jim O'Neil is attending. I'll ask him to let us know what he sees when he gets there if he doesn't have any info now.

Thanks, Peter! Will be good to get a report.

That covers all outcomes!

In the words of the mammal I married, "Do not go to the surrealists for counsel, for they will say both 'blue' and 'hippopotamus'."

They're bonkers.

I have pre-ordered the 'War of the Ring' "Against the Shadow" expansion, to be delivered to me at my home address, here in the UK.

They emailed me yesterday, inviting me to "save on postage" by picking it up in person....at GenCon.
    In Indianapolis.
    In the U.S.A.

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    They're bonkers.

I have pre-ordered the 'War of the Ring' "Against the Shadow" expansion, to be delivered to me at my home address, here in the UK.

They emailed me yesterday, inviting me to "save on postage" by picking it up in person....at GenCon.
    In Indianapolis.
    In the U.S.A.

To be fair it probably is cheaper than shipping these days

Thanks, Peter! Will be good to get a report.
    Jim says ARES will have some balloons at GenCon.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    To be fair it probably is cheaper than shipping these days
    Nice one Dave.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Nice one Dave.

Rob.
    AGREED!!!!

Lightbulb

Article on Ares website:

WW1 Wings of Glory: Balloons at War – Historical Notes

Name:  DSC09166.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  87.5 KB
    Fokker D.VII and Caquot Type R Balloon in National Museum of USAF, Dayton, OH, 2016 (more intel about balloon and Fokker D.VII here)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Article on Ares website:

WW1 Wings of Glory: Balloons at War – Historical Notes

Name:  DSC09166.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  87.5 KB
    Fokker D.VII and Caquot Type R Balloon in National Museum of USAF, Dayton, OH, 2016 (more intel about balloon and Fokker D.VII here)
    Sadly the balloon in the photo at Dayton no longer is on display. It is no longer structurally sound to hang and there are no current plans to refurbish it for public display.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sadly the balloon in the photo at Dayton no longer is on display.
    Indeed - I was sad to have missed it on my visit to Dayton earlier this year

Sadly the balloon in the photo at Dayton no longer is on display. It is no longer structurally sound to hang and there are no current plans to refurbish it for public display.
    Not a big surprise - it is a really old piece of fabric at all. Bridges are designed for 100 years of service, not temporary war material.

I'm happy new players will have their chance to buy these eye candies for their WoG collections

Great photo regardless. Thanks for posting Dan.

Luckily I got a pic of the balloon durning my first trip to Dayton back in 2013.

Name:  Balloon.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  202.1 KB

If you really want something, don't depend on others to get/do it for you.

Its easy to be the negative critic but its much better to be the positive supporter.
    This is PRECISELY why I embraced the opportunity to have some hand in Wings/Sails development as one of the Historical/Research Consultants. I learned the hard way from watching too many games founder over the years *stare pointedly at Wizkids Pirates* that you can either sit and gripe about a product's shortcomings AFTER release, or you can try to get the designers' and developers' ear and try to actively help steer the plane around the worst of the storms--and I'd say that aside from a few tooling and detail issues Sails of Glory Wave 4 prove the concept that when a few "inside men" work WITH the outside community steering toward the good parts and away from potential problems, and trying to anticipate potential challenges and mitigate them before they happen, we CAN accomplish something remarkable. Many hands make for light work, after all...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Missions

1. News from Ares Games about future models.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2022, 05:33
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News