Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any news on new models?

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    That's why -- in an ideal world -- Ares would set up their official decks for print-on-demand themselves, so anyone could buy them at any time. Including whatever markup they want to add to make a modest profit.
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    And (at the risk of repeating myself), if they published their decks on a print-on-demand service, they could completely eliminate any inventory costs, stocking and distribution problems, and up-front cash investments. e.g. https://www.drivethrucards.com.
    YES and YES again!! That would be logical and a fabulous add on to our game. I have bought and printed cards for my other games before as downloads and it works fine.

eg. https://www.firelockgames.com/produc...gory/oak-iron/

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Right now nothing is on Ares's posted schedule as far out as November.
    Has anything changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Has anything changed?
    Nope. Right now the big pushes for the rest of the year appear to be Sword & Sorcery and War of the Ring.
    https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

At this point, I hope that Ares Games sells WoG. The fact that they have not released a new model, in over 3 years, is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

At this point, I hope that Ares Games sells WoG. The fact that they have not released a new model, in over 3 years, is, quite frankly, ridiculous.
    Bear in mind Italy had that long and HARD shutdown for Covid go into effect RIGHT about the time I sent them my data package for South Pacific. I suspect a lot of the strategy is using low-investment high-return stuff to "prime the pump" rebuilding working capital, and IIRC the order of the day with Dust Games was "replace the damaged/destroyed tooling FIRST before even thinking about getting back into production."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Think of the money you're saving !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I recently realized i can afford holidays at the seaside.

I rediscovered GHQ Micro Armour...........
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Covid lockdowns were pretty strict in Italy. I would not be surprised to see them go for big dollar games first. Need to get capital to keep the company alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I rediscovered GHQ Micro Armour...........
    I don't dare head back down that road ...
    Been nearly 40 years since I bought any.
    Might dig them out as targets for WGS sometime.
    When I dig out my WGS ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Might dig them out as targets for WGS sometime.
    When I dig out my WGS ...
    That's my plan- D.A.K. & Desert Rats

Before Keith shut down the store, we had been talking about the idea of me setting up shop doing paint and assemble on Micro or Pico Armour "ground targets."

How many years must we wait before that reason is no longer valid?

Bear in mind Italy had that long and HARD shutdown for Covid go into effect RIGHT about the time I sent them my data package for South Pacific. I suspect a lot of the strategy is using low-investment high-return stuff to "prime the pump" rebuilding working capital, and IIRC the order of the day with Dust Games was "replace the damaged/destroyed tooling FIRST before even thinking about getting back into production."
    Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Covid lockdowns were pretty strict in Italy. I would not be surprised to see them go for big dollar games first. Need to get capital to keep the company alive.

Supply chains don't just start back up at the snap of fingers, especially not coming back from a "Stop The Entire WORLD" level shutdown. Italy's lockdown was insane, China's was (and some still IS) insane on crystal meth.

I'm as cheesed and jonesing for a fix as you are--and it's double frustrating because while I don't have any more timetable than you do I *have* had a sneak peek at some of the inside stuff coming and I think it'll be worth the wait when it arrives. Then the day after it drops the grousing about "what's taking so long on more" begins anew... if it's any solace, think of how long us Sails guys have been waiting for new ships, IIRC *our* last new plasticrack was 2016 to 2018.

Worth noting that Ares isn't a heavy hitter like WOTC; they're a VERY small company with razor thin cashflow and working capital. Long on ambition and "artisanal pride," short on the financial muscle to keep up with a release schedule like FFG/Asmodee's.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-06-2022 at 13:59.

That's good enough for me.

There is still hope in the world.

I *have* had a sneak peek at some of the inside stuff coming and I think it'll be worth the wait when it arrives.

I haven't had the chance to do much with them, but I did have the chance to try out some early rules for torpedoes and those look really promising.

Torpedoes for WGF?

WGS

Early 2023 seems more likely, if I reading this right. Ah well, better cancel that Christas list to Santa

Torpedo rule were being tested in context of Blenheim and Sparviero, but they're gonna be important in PTO too. Especially if I can get Ares onboard with ship-on-ship or ship-and-planes-on-ship interactions like the Tokyo Express...

How many C- or D-chits should a 5"/38DP twin-mount gun throw? LOL

Regardless of the reasons, Ares cannot be counted on for new content for Wings as the track record shows. If new stuff becomes available, great, but all is not lost. For those new to WGF, the gaps are filled by this community's house rules and now full color 3D print models, including affordable planes that should have been in the game but are not:

Reduced Aircraft Factory color models

Stats and Plane cards are at the helpful site: Wings of Linen

The outdated but useful unofficial aircraft file is also helpful: Available WW1 aircraft with unofficial stats

So now it's no longer necessary to pay astronomical eBay prices for Fokker D.VII, SSW D.III, Fokker E.III, Hanriot HD.1, etc., and also possible to get FE2b, Sopwith Dolphin and Pup, DFW C.V, and others that will be in the pipeline.

For the maneuver decks they should really be made available by Ares at a pay-and-print vendor but barring that it's not too hard to make your own (files can be obtained from many forum members here). They can be printed on card stock then sleeved if desired. I use these gadgets to make them:
    Paper Cutter
    Corner Cutter

What malachi said. We are lucky to have such a creative individuals in the comunity. They provide us with all we need.

No new minis... Shame, but...hey, this is not about minis. At least for me. This is about you. According to release reality, this game should be dead, but I can honestly say, there is no such community like WoG/SoG players. In UK, US, CZ, Italy, doesn't matter. I don't need more than gentlemen to play WoG with.

PS: Torpedo rules work well, tested at least twice in Prague under Andrea's guiding. I think I will buy even SM.79

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Torpedoes for WGF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    WGS
    Should be able to port into WW1. Just need to be aware of the increase vulnerability those ships had vs. WW2 ones.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I second what Petr said about what Chris said

Well said Chris and Petr!

The game keeps going because the community keeps it alive.

Even I grumble about lack of product for Ares. The community resources and the 3D printed models from shapeways sellers have really helped. The wonderful decals by Misc Mini and others are also pretty awesome.

I agree with Chris. It would be wonderful if the movement decks were made available through Drive Thru Cards or some other print on demand service. Especially for the out of planes that you cannot even get. NO stock, and easy money. I would gladly purchase the ones I need over the alternative of sitting up all night with the papercutter and card sleeves. But, it is what it is.

The un-official stats list and the Wings of Linen website have been a great help indeed!

The observation balloons presented at the Essen (Germany) games show.
    announced for the second quarter of 2023.

Attachment 319838

Attachment 319851
    Attached Images   
    Last edited by flash; 03-08-2023 at 01:30.

Please, nobody behead me for saying this, but it would be nice if the "new" stuff were unique, unlike the balloons that have already been done before.

it would be nice if the "new" stuff were unique, unlike the balloons that have already been done before.
    Actually, it is a new ARES GAMES - WINGS OF GLORY product.
    The previous balloon were NEXUS - WINGS OF WAR.

Please, nobody behead me for saying this, but it would be nice if the "new" stuff were unique, unlike the balloons that have already been done before.
    I agree that new models would be great, but we BUGGED and BUGGED and BUGGED and BUGGED and BUGGED and BUGGED 'Ares' for balloons, and now they're finally giving us what we want we really shouldn't gripe...

Considering the issues Ares had with their Chinese suppliers before the pandemic, it is not surprising they are taking some time to get stuff out.

Changing the supplier and factory, as well as the damage to the molds (which in my suspicious opinion didn't happen by accident), is causing some more delays. However, if the Battlestar Galactica minis are any indication of what we might get for product, I firmly believe it will be worth the wait.

The waiting isn't made any easier...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Considering the issues Ares had with their Chinese suppliers before the pandemic, it is not surprising they are taking some time to get stuff out.

Changing the supplier and factory, as well as the damage to the molds (which in my suspicious opinion didn't happen by accident), is causing some more delays. However, if the Battlestar Galactica minis are any indication of what we might get for product, I firmly believe it will be worth the wait.

The waiting isn't made any easier...
    The problem still comes back to the guy at Ares designing the CAD models. If it's the same guy responsible for the Bf109K Kerfuffle with no improvement in PEBKAC...

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    Actually, it is a new ARES GAMES - WINGS OF GLORY product.
    The previous balloon were NEXUS - WINGS OF WAR.

From Facebook...

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 11.10.02 AM.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  122.6 KB

WOO WOO! I hope they actually make it to the shelves this year!

Nothing on the release schedule up to June 2023

Sorry Chris, I don't think we are allowed to feed the bears! LOL!

This is good news. It's gonna be fun to shoot at balloons. Will allow to create some interesting scenarios !

It also helps to keep hope in future products (new ones/reissue, ww1/ww2).

Couple of weeks back, Pete, who owns our FLGS Entoyment was so frustrated that he couldn't get any product from the main UK games distributor (Asmodee) that he rang ARES direct in an attempt to get product from them direct. He was told the reason Asmodee couldn't obtain any product for him was that there is none to be had and, of course, ARES were similarly bereft of goodies.
    He was told however that there might be releases in the next month or two but nothing was specified so maybe this announcement is it ?
    It was left that in the future there may be a possibility for him to order product direct from ARES. I'm sure he'd like to be the UK WoG supplier if he could !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

The few hobby shops that carry Ares products in the area I frequent are having a hard time getting any Wings of Glory product.

Hopefully they get some new stock released!

I know several people who are trying to get into the game and start, and cannot get anything.

Couple of weeks back, Pete, who owns our FLGS Entoyment was so frustrated.
    It was left that in the future there may be a possibility for him to order product direct from ARES. I'm sure he'd like to be the UK WoG supplier if he could !
    From the superb service that I have been graced with whenever I have bought from Pete, both on line and on a couple of visits to the shop, I would love him to become our main supplier.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The few hobby shops that carry Ares products in the area I frequent are having a hard time getting any Wings of Glory product.

I know several people who are trying to get into the game and start, and cannot get anything.
    They know about the app, right?

Here in Oz, Rival Skies seems to have a reasonable range. Evan does do international postage - his website says ‘flat rate of $20 AUD’.

https://rivalsky.com.au/page/2/?s=Ww...erby=relevance

Ares booth at Dice Tower West. Nothing but the board games unfortunately.
    Name:  0311231339.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  116.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Here in Oz, Rival Skies seems to have a reasonable range. Evan does do international postage - his website says ‘flat rate of $20 AUD’.

https://rivalsky.com.au/page/2/?s=Ww...erby=relevance
    I've bought from Evan a few times - always had excellent service!
    He even combined packaging of his planes on ebay sales, and they always arrived quickly and in bomb-proof packaging.

Speaking as one who's been building up his collection over the past year, I can say (at least from America) that the online inventory and availability is shrinking. I frequent Amazon, Miniature Market, Noble Knight, Atomic Empire, Ebay and Ares. If you're willing to spend the better part of $100-200 you can get most anything, but if not, your options are diminishing. One can still find a Pfalz, Phoenix, UFAG or Fokker E.V., easily enough. But I'm seeing more and more scouts once common, (like the Nieuport 28) disappear from the $15-20 range. Even Ares, which had some planes not broadly available, (like the Madon SPAD), is removing the "Add to Cart" option from their inventory.

That's the way of things, but seeing the stock dwindle serves as a depressing counterpoint to any hints that there's a balloon release coming anytime soon.

Had a balloon in my hands about ten years ago. Wouldn't part with the $60 to keep it. Regrets. I have a few.
    Last edited by Savoir Faire; 03-12-2023 at 06:52.

4 years ago or so I was in a job that required a lot of car travel. I mapped out all of the hobby stores in about a 200-mile radius (except Cincinnati area, which was out of my territory, but including Nashville, TN). I stopped at each one and asked about Wings of Glory. In almost every case they either did not carry it, or had carried but discontinued it when they couldn't get any stock from distributors. The few that did have it had very limited stock, and they all said they could not get stock. I reported what I found here on the forum, and had at least one Ares person respond and tell me I was imagining things. The years since have proven me to be correct - today no store in the Louisville area carries it - you might as well go in and ask them for SPI flatbox games.

I don't think the game has much of a future going forward. Ares seems to be moving away from tabletop miniatures and toward publishing board games. I have to also say that years of having them tell us things that haven't happened have caused me at this point to take anything they say with a very large grain of salt.

BTW - I see you're in Ohio. Are you going to DayCon? There are at least a couple of us on here who are going to play WoG.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. News from Ares Games about future models.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2022, 05:33
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News