Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any news on new models?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Any news on new models?

I pop up and ask this question from time to time... any news on new models for WW1?

Sopwith Pups?

Barry

There was a thread recently about Ares making an announcement about a new production partner for Wings and Sails. But nothing about new products or reprints. So…

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I pop up and ask this question from time to time... any news on new models for WW1?

Sopwith Pups?

Barry
    Hi Barry

No, nothing heard.

'Dust Games' in Hong Kong (the company that made the superb "Battlestar Galactica" minis ) are going to produce a new "Sails" line (? pirates) and the long-promised SM.79 and Blenheim minis for WGS.

The message hinted at repints of the existing lines, to provide new stock for sale, but nothing was said about new paint schemes or model types.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post

Sopwith Pups?

Barry
    I didn't think the Pup was terribly popular, only filling a small role and quickly outclassed. But I often see people asking for this model.

What am I missing that makes it so popular?

Thank you, I'm really curious.

I view the Pup as pretty popular and important, having an effective service life of at least a year from autumn '16 to autumn '17 and longer on other fronts. There were a large number produced and it was the first effective British answer to the Albatros D.1 and D.IIs. It was great to fly, maneuverable, and performance, esp. at altitude was great as low wing-loading helped it out-turn opponents. It gave way to the ubiquitous Camel (twitchy, but amazing in the right hands, and with 2 MGs).

I'm about to finish Arthur Gould Lee's "No Parachute" which discusses this a lot. Numerous times he writes in letters home how relieved he is that he was trained on Pups and had the benefit of that plane vs the FE2's and BE's that were getting hammered by the Albatrii. Later in the book he's eager to get a Camel but also happy that his Pup flying made that transition less dangerous.

7 squadrons were equipped with Pups, 4 RNAS and 3 RFC. Almost 1800 were built. That of course doesn't say how many actually made it to the front. It was an important step to the Camel.

Good to know,
    Thanks,

The late, great Jack Bruce wrote "The Sopwith Pup will always remain high in the catalogue of classic types: not only did it win substantial battle honors but it earned -- to an extent probably unsurpassed by any other aircraft -- the affection and gratitude of those who flew it, simply by being the delightful aeroplane that it was." And in comparison with the Camel, "Although it [the Camel] gave a peculiar pleasure to some pilots, it has usually been spoken of more with wary respect than the kind of unqualified affection in which its lineal predecessors, the Pup and Triplane, were held." (Windsock Datafiles 2 and 26.)

I get the impression that the Pup was a joy to fly whereas the Camel felt like it was always trying to kill you. They do say the most maneuverable planes live right on the edge of being uncontrollable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Hi Barry

No, nothing heard.

'Dust Games' in Hong Kong (the company that made the superb "Battlestar Galactica" minis ) are going to produce a new "Sails" line (? pirates) and the long-promised SM.79 and Blenheim minis for WGS.

The message hinted at repints of the existing lines, to provide new stock for sale, but nothing was said about new paint schemes or model types.
    SAILS!!! A mention in despatches butsurely not for your collection Tim

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    SAILS!!! A mention in despatches but surely not for your collection Tim
    That goes without saying.

So I didn't say it!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Thank you all.
    I concur about the impact of the Sopwith Pup. It was the first British-made single-seater traction-engined fighter designed and built with a forward-firing machine-gun in the RFC/RNAS to see wide-spread service and did well, especially at altitude, against the heavier Albatros types. It evolved out of the 1˝ Strutter, hence its nickname. The 1˝ was said to have 'Pupped'.

This success was partly due to its incredibly low wing-loading of something like 4.8 pounds per square foot - about half that of the Albatros. This then leads to the claim, mostly justified, that a Pup with an Albatros on its tail could get behind the Albatros in about two full circles.

Its only let down was its single gun but that was partly how it got its light wing loading in the first place. Extra gun means extra weight.

When it went out of front-line service most squadrons managed to organise one as a 'hack', very often the commanding officer's and very often his personal plane with a "hands off" policy for the rest of the pilots.

See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Pup

Barry
    Last edited by 'Warspite'; 03-13-2022 at 06:32. Reason: additions, corrections and added Wiki link

Related to the original question: when was the last time Ares introduced a new plane type to the game? The Pfalz D.IIIa?

For off-the-shelf new schemes and scout plane types these days it seems the best option is shapeways Reduced Aircraft Factory color 3D prints. Sometimes have to make a maneuver deck but at least new planes are available.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Related to the original question: when was the last time Ares introduced a new plane type to the game? The Pfalz D.IIIa?
    The Pfalz was a Nexus model Chris. The last Ares new plane type was series 9 with the Strutter's (two types), Alb C.III, Nieuport 11 (one with rockets) & Phönix D.I in 2016. Coming up on six long years ago now. Though you could say the reprint of series 4 was the first time they'd made the Pfalz, SE, Rumpler & Breguet models, so new types for them, especially as they rang the changes a little with the versions.
    Last edited by flash; 03-13-2022 at 12:02.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks, Dave, appreciate that info

I would appreciate just about anything released right now. The supply is drying up.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I quite agree!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would appreciate just about anything released right now. The supply is drying up.

Name:  AABDE81C-A5E3-48BA-B9B0-0B15F219C962.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  31789793-B8FF-497A-BA81-3EB9F3E135FF.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  42.0 KB

Not new, but a long time hoping for their return. Presumably these test versions are unpainted…? Various decals are planned to be included, so intended as generic.

As to the Pup. In addition to the various things noted about the Pup, no less of an expert than the Mighty Manfred himself opined, "We saw at once that the enemy aeroplane was superior to ours." And he was flying an Albatros, which was pretty deadly at the time. Definitely one of the most produced early scouts to be missing from the game, though my bet was that given the Sopwith Triplane serves much the same function and time frame (and stands up even better to the twin gun Albatros DII/III), the game itself doesn’t particularly need the Pup (which is not to say that we don’t want it, anyway). There’s also no real good counterpart that can be introduced on the opposite side, and it’s the Central Powers that needs another option more than the Enetente within 1916 (I’m a proponent of the single-gun Fokker D.II, which still has the problem of low production and short time frame, and no model cachet).

Accurate and relevant remarks, Bruce.

Balloons!

YES!!!

As soon as, please!

On the subject of the Sopwith Pup, I was re-reading Arthur Gould Lee's No Parachute and came across this, which I thought was apropos:
    The Pup I ferried from No. 1 A.D. this morning was a joy to fly, with [a] smooth and willing engine, and very sensitive response to the controls, just like a spirited horse, eager to the slightest touch of rein and knee. In fact, when you get a thoroughbred Pup like this you feel as though you're controlling a living thing, as though the two of you are one creature gambolling in the air. It's something you can't convey to anybody who doesn't fly, but the Pup is really the most thrilling aeroplane, you feel you're riding the Pegasus of your dreams.
    No Parachute is a fun read...it's basically a series of letters and diary entries of a young and observant pilot, and it gives a good feel for the life of an average WWI pilot in 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    No Parachute is a fun read...it's basically a series of letters and diary entries of a young and observant pilot, and it gives a good feel for the life of an average WWI pilot in 1917.
    I still have my copy from High School, that I re-read from time to time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I only discovered it a couple of years ago - have read it 3 times since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I only discovered it a couple of years ago - have read it 3 times since then.
    Sounds like a good book. I will have to pick one up!

I'm excited that Guibert/Grandmaison's Nieuport 16 is getting its own airplane pack! Now, it's no longer exclusive to the Balloon Busters set!
    Name:  B_Boosters-Ni-16-1.png
Views: 1284
Size:  40.9 KB

Same deal with Navarre's; now, one can get his Nieuport without having to buy the Tripods/Triplanes box set!
    Name:  tripods-Ni16-1.png
Views: 1313
Size:  32.3 KB

When does this happen Luke?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Not seen anything about this but it would make sense that they are released when the balloons are; I vaguely recall Andrea or someone from Ares saying the balloons would not be in a pack with an aircraft. Is there a link to the source Luke ?

"He is wise who watches"

Yes: Balloon Pack (two color schemes) separated from Nieuport 16 (usual Airplane Packs for them). This summer, it seems.
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 03-29-2022 at 05:56.

Rob and Dave, it's from the latest post on the Facebook page.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.34.09 AM.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.39.06 AM.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  32.9 KB

I think that we can also expect this Nieuport, belonging to Johnson/Prince. The only pictures that they shared were of the two balloons.
    Name:  B_Boosters-Ni-16-2.png
Views: 1328
Size:  40.0 KB
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-29-2022 at 08:44.

Hi Andrea,

are there any plans to restock/ reprint the whole current range? I am desperately looking for a Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Rob and Dave, it's from the latest post on the Facebook page.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.34.09 AM.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.39.06 AM.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  32.9 KB

I think that we can also expect this Nieuport, belonging to Johnson/Prince. The only pictures that they shared were of the two balloons.
    Name:  B_Boosters-Ni-16-2.png
Views: 1328
Size:  40.0 KB
    I've put the question out to Rob at Ares. One part of me wants the new guys to get their chance too, another wants to build out the Lafayette roster.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Bump with answer: All three Nieuports are straight reissues - Navarre from T&T, the other two are the Balloon Busters planes with the new pilot cards.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks, Diamondback!

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Graugans View Post
    Hi Andrea,

are there any plans to restock/ reprint the whole current range? I am desperately looking for a Siemens-Schuckert D.III.

Mike
    I can supply you one.

Which one would you prefer?

Don't forget your supplying of me first

Well, "summer" is in 7 weeks. That's still a long time for me to hold my breath, though...

Another point in favour for the Pup (as if it needed any more reasons!) is that it is in the Valom 1/144 line, so extra planes are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by mrinku View Post
    Another point in favour for the Pup (as if it needed any more reasons!) is that it is in the Valom 1/144 line, so extra planes are readily available.
    How about one with rockets?

Name:  Sopwith Pup no 5186  with Le Prieur rockets_b.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  67.1 KB

Ooooh, nice!

Quote Originally Posted by mrinku View Post
    .....complete with Decal schemes for 4 aircraft

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

I built one of the Valom Pups a few months ago and it looks pretty nice. Once my eyes recover from the strain of working on a kit with such microscopic parts I may work on another one.

I purchased a few of their boxes but when i saw the metal parts i decided i need to get myself a pair of glasses first

Summer is in 17 days!

The reissued balloons were on display at UKGE today, with a release date listed as Q4 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Summer is in 17 days!
    Meteorological Summer began on June 1st

Summer also lasts until September 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Ares balloons innBirmingham from different angle. Source: Ares Games FB Page

Attachment 315279

Thank you, Daniel and David. There is still hope in this world.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. News from Ares Games about future models.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2022, 05:33
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News