Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any news on new models?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    4 years ago or so I was in a job that required a lot of car travel. I mapped out all of the hobby stores in about a 200-mile radius (except Cincinnati area, which was out of my territory, but including Nashville, TN). I stopped at each one and asked about Wings of Glory. In almost every case they either did not carry it, or had carried but discontinued it when they couldn't get any stock from distributors. The few that did have it had very limited stock, and they all said they could not get stock. I reported what I found here on the forum, and had at least one Ares person respond and tell me I was imagining things. The years since have proven me to be correct - today no store in the Louisville area carries it - you might as well go in and ask them for SPI flatbox games.

I don't think the game has much of a future going forward. Ares seems to be moving away from tabletop miniatures and toward publishing board games. I have to also say that years of having them tell us things that haven't happened have caused me at this point to take anything they say with a very large grain of salt.

BTW - I see you're in Ohio. Are you going to DayCon? There are at least a couple of us on here who are going to play WoG.
    Yes, I will be at DayCon!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Yes, I will be at DayCon!
    When is DayCon?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    When is DayCon?
    Karl
    March 31st and April 1st.

March 31st and April 1st.
    milcoll73 (Phillip) will be there. I won't be able to get there in time for the only WoG game scheduled on early Friday afternoon, but I'm bring a bunch of planes and we're hoping to get something going on an adhoc basis.

I don't think the game has much of a future going forward. Ares seems to be moving away from tabletop miniatures and toward publishing board games. I have to also say that years of having them tell us things that haven't happened have caused me at this point to take anything they say with a very large grain of salt.
    I would agree, but only to a point. The RAF preprints continue to expand the availability of aircraft, and I am hoping that Daryl at RAF is making enough to at least keep bringing us more goodies. My pain point are the maneuver cards and stands. Stands we can deal with as there are other options. Cards are problematic for me, simply as I do not have a printer that could handle printing decks (the ink my little goes through would create a larger hole in my wallet). My mates have printed cards for me (thank goodness) but I would prefer a product similar to the cards in the game. Ares is really missing an opportunity (already voiced here several times) by not offering plane decks. But, with the core of players out there, the additions from RAF, I would say that the game itself is moving along. We have, however, lost a number of active members from the forum, and that is a concern.

Come join us sometime in Dayton!

Totally agree with you Darryl (of Ohio)! The pre-painted RAF do open new opportunities for those not inclined to paint their own and are very reasonably priced IMHO. Also decks A thru H are available as part of the Famous Aces & Watch Your Back box sets which pop up periodically on the Internet.

Darryl and Craig both make great points.

The addition of the colored shapeways prints has been a wonderful one! Reduced Aircraft Factory has been able to produce some of the color schemes that most people would not want to try and model.

I have to admit....sitting at home printing and cutting out maneuver decks is quite the boring task. Takes a lot of ink, and isn't very exciting.

I have to admit....sitting at home printing and cutting out maneuver decks is quite the boring task. Takes a lot of ink, and isn't very exciting.
    But I appreciate it when you do that for me!!

Which is why I have all my decks; maneuver, damage, targets and others, printed by a professional service. They aren't very quick but I have custom cards and decks made before I order a model from Shapeways.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I combed through the thread, and forgot that we can expect rocket-equipped Nieuport 16's, in addition to the balloons, to be re-released. That's exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I would agree, but only to a point. The RAF preprints continue to expand the availability of aircraft, and I am hoping that Daryl at RAF is making enough to at least keep bringing us more goodies. My pain point are the maneuver cards and stands. Stands we can deal with as there are other options. Cards are problematic for me, simply as I do not have a printer that could handle printing decks (the ink my little goes through would create a larger hole in my wallet). My mates have printed cards for me (thank goodness) but I would prefer a product similar to the cards in the game. Ares is really missing an opportunity (already voiced here several times) by not offering plane decks. But, with the core of players out there, the additions from RAF, I would say that the game itself is moving along. We have, however, lost a number of active members from the forum, and that is a concern.

Come join us sometime in Dayton!
    It's the after-market products that are keeping the game alive. I should have been more specific as to what I meant. As long as there are places to get planes like RAF, those of us already playing will be able to keep doing so, and the game will live on. Without product being sold in the store though it's very difficult to get new players, and ultimately whether a game continues to draw in new players will determine how "alive" a game is. RAF especially has really helped fill in the huge hole left by Ares' lack of producing new stuff, at least for WWI. I'd love to see him add WWII to his line.

If things continue as they are, however, the game is going to become inaccessible to new players. It's one thing to go to RAF for planes. It's something else when you have to also buy bases (Litko?). Then you have to print out movement decks. it's getting harder to find sets that have the damage cards or chits. Markers (gun jam, altitude, etc.) are something else that a player has to get. For those of us already in the game we have all this stuff and the only real pain is having to print movement decks. For someone just starting out the barriers will be considerable if the current state of things continues on.

As to coming up to Dayton for the monthly sessions, it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Dayton from where I live. The one session I came to in 2019 lasted about 4 hours, which means I spent more time driving than I did playing. If you all ever have a long session, like 10 AM to 8 or 9 PM I'd be up for that, but coming up for a short session isn't going to work for me.

As to coming up to Dayton for the monthly sessions, it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Dayton from where I live. The one session I came to in 2019 lasted about 4 hours, which means I spent more time driving than I did playing. If you all ever have a long session, like 10 AM to 8 or 9 PM I'd be up for that, but coming up for a short session isn't going to work for me.
    Store opens at noon. The main group plays till 4. Then we eat. Then a smaller group of us plays till closing at 10:00. The later smaller game could vary based on who stays and what stuff we have brought.

And at times we play at a shop on the northeast side of Cincinnati, which would be a tad shorter of a drive than Dayton. But as Daniel mentioned, we usually do game all day,. just not always Wings all day. But if you make the drive and let us know, we can plan to game Wings all day!
    Last edited by predhead; 03-17-2023 at 06:27.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    And at times we play at a shop on the northeast side of Cincinnati, which would be a tad shorter of a drive than Dayton. But as Daniel mentioned, we usually do game all day,. just not always Wings all day. But if you make the drive and let us know, we can plan to game Wings all day!
    Victory Pints in Maineville correct? Nice place! We tend to stay all day and drink a bit too much!

If you can send me a PM if you have an all day session - especially in Cincinnati - I will try to make it.

If you can send me a PM if you have an all day session - especially in Cincinnati - I will try to make it.
    Sounds great!

Victory Pints in Maineville correct? Nice place! We tend to stay all day and drink a bit too much!
    That's the place, and you know it!

And even Digital Wings appears to be dead. I sent Dire Wolf a note explaining my relationship with Ares and suggesting that there are a LOT of folks on Steam who are very concerned about their lack of new release or even any communication from them about status of the game. The empty-words response:

Hey there [REDACTED],

Thanks for reaching out. We're glad you (and the community) are as excited about the future of Wings of Glory as we are. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm any upcoming products or announcements at this time, but rest assured we are always exploring what can come next. It's important to us that we hear from you though, so keep that feedback coming. Let us know what you would like to see, what's important to you, or just what you think we could be doing better. We are always listening!

Thanks for playing and have fun!
    As a reply to:
    Do you have plans to do anything further with Wings of Glory? You have a LOT of the player community on Steam noting a conspicuous lack of activity, and as one of the research consultants who help develop the physical edition and like to use your game to show long-distance friends how the game system works it would be really nice to see things expand from the current "sample bite" to more representative of the full game line.
    it comes off completely tone-deaf that they either don't see or won't acknowledge that former enthusiasm is giving way to concern and disappointment at missed opportunity and the game not "being all it can be."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

@Diamondback : I am sad because this TT game deserves a much better videogame version of it, with more planes, more options, more 3D views, bug fixing, etc.

A tactical turn-based video game is meant to be a niche game. It can’t be the top-seller of the year. It can’t compete against a Call of Duty or a Grand Theft Auto. So it seems quite normal that the ressources (time and money) allocated to develop it have to be limited. Still, publishers like Slitherine Ltd succeed in publishing nice ‘not expensive’ wargames.

One of the current issues regarding WoG videogame is the seemingly total absence of players on steam. Looking at Steamcharts.com or steamdb.info, there seems to be only a couple of players actually playing the game at a given time. On the Steam page, there are only 64 reviews of the game (they are good btw). That’s not a lot, even for a niche game.

For comparison, a ‘successful’ (at least in terms of renown) niche tactical game like Field of Glory published by Slitherine has 600 reviews on Steam, peaks of players playing simultaneously of 100 (a niche game!). (I can’t say anything about the sales though.)

(Still for comparison, 131000 players are currently playing Grand Theft Auto V and its steam page gets 1400000 positive reviews…)

Dire Wolf is unresponsive on Steam about the game while potential players don’t play the videogame. I can’t figure out all the reasons why but it seems to be a vicious circle.
    Last edited by Le Piaf; 03-18-2023 at 05:24.

It's the after-market products that are keeping the game alive. I should have been more specific as to what I meant. As long as there are places to get planes like RAF, those of us already playing will be able to keep doing so, and the game will live on. Without product being sold in the store though it's very difficult to get new players, and ultimately whether a game continues to draw in new players will determine how "alive" a game is. RAF especially has really helped fill in the huge hole left by Ares' lack of producing new stuff, at least for WWI. I'd love to see him add WWII to his line.

If things continue as they are, however, the game is going to become inaccessible to new players. It's one thing to go to RAF for planes. It's something else when you have to also buy bases (Litko?). Then you have to print out movement decks. it's getting harder to find sets that have the damage cards or chits. Markers (gun jam, altitude, etc.) are something else that a player has to get. For those of us already in the game we have all this stuff and the only real pain is having to print movement decks. For someone just starting out the barriers will be considerable if the current state of things continues on.
    If the risk of producing miniatures is to risky/expansive/cumbersome, Ares could consider doing a card-only game as the Nexus roots are. Enthusiasts could still spice up with minis.

I have a better idea: sell WoG to a company that cares to capitalize on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    One year anniversary of this announcement.

So let's celebrate
    Real, fake? Who, knows

Name:  IMG-20230305-WA0008.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  120.7 KB

Yeah. The should drop it, so somebody who cares can pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I *have* had a sneak peek at some of the inside stuff coming and I think it'll be worth the wait when it arrives.
    Can you tell us how many items are on the horizon that you're aware of? All that I gather is two balloons and three planes (Nieuport 16's).

One year anniversary of this announcement.
    And that came several years after it was first mentioned !
    Lets hope that series 5 reprint will be hard on it's heels along with the much talked about scenarios book and new mats but..

"He is wise who watches"

Default Cards

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    If the risk of producing miniatures is to risky/expansive/cumbersome, Ares could consider doing a card-only game as the Nexus roots are. Enthusiasts could still spice up with minis.
    At least a card game would be reproduce maneuver cards

it comes off completely tone-deaf that they either don't see or won't acknowledge that former enthusiasm is giving way to concern and disappointment at missed opportunity and the game not "being all it can be."
    Your use of the terms "empty words" and "tone-deaf" is absolutely perfect and spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    I suspect that the reason Ares hasn't done this is because limiting the maneuver decks to only being available in official products or allowing players to print their own for personal use is the only way they can remain in control of the game. People are already turning to third party vendors to get the planes they want. If you were able to suddenly be able to buy the decks you want what incentive would there be for players to wait for official releases? When the next release or reprint comes out three years from now how many people wouldn't care because they already had bought those same planes from somebody like RAF?

I firmly believe this is the only way the game can ever recover and fulfill its potential.
    Last edited by Bobsalt; 03-19-2023 at 14:45. Reason: Punctuation

Not sure I have enough life left to wait for Ares at the rate they are going

2014 they promised us Corsairs : 9 years ago ...

A couple of years back they were supposed to be releasing P-39 Airacobra
    < crickets >

Can you tell us how many items are on the horizon that you're aware of? All that I gather is two balloons and three planes (Nieuport 16's).
    There's also a WWII "South Pacific" theme release in the pipe that I worked on, can't tell you what's in it due to NDA and no clue when but I'll be putting in my own preorders as soon as Miniature Market gets 'em up. The WWII Pacific planes we've seen prototypes of in '14 are part of that.

Part of Ares' problem is they're undercapitalized, a little company trying to do big-company stuff but they can't get the cash flows or working capital and refuse to deal with the odious sorts in the venture-capital world or risk losing control of the company by going publicly traded or even seeking an 'angel investor.' I even proposed a limited sale of shares such that the release never adds up to more than 40% of Ares' total stock and at first no more than one share per person to let the community have an ownership stake and vested interest in their success, and it was met with silence.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-20-2023 at 10:02.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Part of Ares' problem is they're undercapitalized, a little company trying to do big-company stuff but they can't get the cash flows or working capital and refuse to deal with the odious sorts in the venture-capital world or risk losing control of the company by going publicly traded or even seeking an 'angel investor.'
    Your comment about Ares being "undercapitalized" is exactly what I said several years ago, though as an insider you can see this up close whereas I could only speculate. Your comment that they are "a little company trying to do big-company stuff" reminds me of a company I worked for 30 years ago. They had an innovative product that sold very well right out of the gate. They then immediately expanded WAY too fast, and tried to get into too many business lines all at once. The result? Bankruptcy. To me as an outsider it seems like Ares is spending a lot of money and resources on too many things at once. A business, particularly one that is small in its field has to know their role. It's great to have a vision of everything you'd like to do and be, but to be successful you have to have to be grounded in reality and know what things you can do, what things you might be able to do down the road, and what things are beyond your reach, no matter how much you may want to do them. Ares seems to have never learned this lesson.

Bob, right now boardgames are driving the bus because that's where Ares thinks the fast money is, along with the relatively low-cost distribution of other publishers' product. I've seen a similar example in the gun industry, George Kelgren at Kel-Tec won't start development and production of a new model until he's got enough free-and-clear profit from sales of existing offerings to do it cash-out-of-pocket. Good news is it keeps his debt way down and avoids dependence on bridge loans especially in the current recession, bad news is new development comes at a pace that makes "glacial" look like the Millennium Falcon screaming through hyperspace.

Most of the "new" offerings the past few years IIRC have been pre-existing product, whether revisions of existing or acquisition/distribution of other publishers' works.

WGF should make its slogan “Du Doch Nicht!!”

It’s a preemptive response to the question “Will I be alive when X is released?”

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Not sure I have enough life left to wait for Ares at the rate they are going

2014 they promised us Corsairs : 9 years ago ...

A couple of years back they were supposed to be releasing P-39 Airacobra
    < crickets >

WGF should make its slogan “Du Doch Nicht!!”

It’s a preemptive response to the question “Will I be alive when X is released?”
    I think that answer must be considered as a "no."

Switch to 1/144 to get corsairs
    Name:  Img_3854.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  59.1 KB

just been on Ares website and they seem to have a lot of WW1 planes for sale!!!!! Maybe good news for you chaps over the Pond. Apologies if I'm wrong

Been Shadow viewing for a while, wonder if doing a new release as a Kickstarter would help? Use the KS to generate capital for a larger print run. If it tanks they lose little. KS bonus could be a new map or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Been Shadow viewing for a while, wonder if doing a new release as a Kickstarter would help? Use the KS to generate capital for a larger print run. If it tanks they lose little. KS bonus could be a new map or the like.
    I think we all would support a KS...but trying to get Ares to actually do something is the issue.

Fow WW1 we have our beloved ReducedAircraftFact, who is filling the void with coloured prints. But nothing like this for WW2. There, the KS would be nice idea

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    Fow WW1 we have our beloved ReducedAircraftFact, who is filling the void with coloured prints. But nothing like this for WW2. There, the KS would be nice idea
    The last WWII release was the JU-88 and Do-17. That was what - 4 years ago? I think it's safe to say going forward that the WWII game is dead.

The last WWII release was the JU-88 and Do-17. That was what - 4 years ago? I think it's safe to say going forward that the WWII game is dead.
    I hope that changes, with the SM.79 and Blenheim release - whenever that happens.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It was in spring 2020: the only light in the first Covid wave. Anyway, there are much worse numbers: last WGS fighters were relelased in summer 2016.

Still crossing fingers for resurrection, but maybe it's just a wish...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    It was in spring 2020: the only light in the first Covid wave. Anyway, there are much worse numbers: last WGS fighters were relelased in summer 2016.

Still crossing fingers for resurrection, but maybe it's just a wish...
    So for WWII three years with no new product, and nothing new for WWI since 2016.

This is the very definition of a dead game.

I think at this point the mini game is dead. Not due to lack of interest but due to lack of support at the hobby shop level. They will have to build from the ground up if they want to reenter the market. That is why I mentioned Kickstarter, it is about the only way to reach new customers.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Arjan
    Sorties Flown

Alternative game with 1/200 metal model planes on Kickstarter now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-tabletop-game

Quote Originally Posted by akrimpen View Post
    Alternative game with 1/200 metal model planes on Kickstarter now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-tabletop-game
    That belongs in the WGS subforum, good buddy.

I haven't been on the forum for a while. I come back and it is the same old situation regarding the aeroplanes that we all want to buy. My FLGS will no longer sell any of the Ares Games ranges because of the lack of product to sell in their store. And it is the same at wargames shows here in the UK. No one has any stock to sell to us or to any new players who have enjoyed playing this wonderful game. Thank god for Shapeways, Valom and many other companies that make the aeroplanes that we all crave. For this situation to change I think that Ares Games needs to sell Wings of Glory to another company that will actually produce products for us to buy.

Entoyment do their best but can't get stock from Asmodee the UK supplier for most things gamey because they can't get any regular supply from Ares. They even rang Ares to try to get it direct but no dice. Hopefully the new releases will get things moving along.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    I haven't been on the forum for a while. I come back and it is the same old situation regarding the aeroplanes that we all want to buy. My FLGS will no longer sell any of the Ares Games ranges because of the lack of product to sell in their store. And it is the same at wargames shows here in the UK. No one has any stock to sell to us or to any new players who have enjoyed playing this wonderful game. Thank god for Shapeways, Valom and many other companies that make the aeroplanes that we all crave. For this situation to change I think that Ares Games needs to sell Wings of Glory to another company that will actually produce products for us to buy.
    It is a grand thing that Daryl at RAF keeps adding the preprinted options for us!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Entoyment do their best but can't get stock from Asmodee the UK supplier for most things gamey because they can't get any regular supply from Ares. They even rang Ares to try to get it direct but no dice. Hopefully the new releases will get things moving along.
    Are you referring to the announced balloons and Nieuport 16? If so, while nice to hear, it's best to not get your hopes up and take Ares at their word until you actually see the product available to order from an online retailer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. News from Ares Games about future models.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2022, 05:33
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Theres Good News & Bad News!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2013, 23:46
  4. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  5. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News