Ares Games

Thread: RACING NOT SHOOTING – 5 with real players

Default RACING NOT SHOOTING – 5 with real players

Last night members of our group were happy, or just willing, to play my “racing not shooting” scenario. There was some scepticism at the start about whether it would be any fun without being able to shoot at people. However, players got into the game and enjoyed it.

Seven of my planes have the same length straight, so players drew a plane card from a hat. The choices were Aviatik D.I, Bristol F2B, De Haviiland DH4, Fokker D.VII, Siemens-Schukert D.III, Sopwith Camel (WoW), and SPAD VII (WoW). With five players, including Tom for the first time, only the Fokker D.VII and S-S D.III missed out.

We left the starting line in pairs, one turn apart to avoid too much congestion. This would be taken into account when judging the winner.

The Aviatik D.I, flown by Mark, was the clear winner. Second was the SPAD VII, which started in the third batch. Third was the DH4 flown by bigglesdownunder, and fourth the Camel flown by Baxter. Unfortunately, we didn’t give Tom a very warm welcome. His Bristol was knocked out of the sky in a collision with the Camel as they neared the end of the course.

We were enjoying each other’s company and playing the game so much that we didn’t take any photographs. (See previous ‘Racing, not Shooting’ AARs for photographs of the course and the rules we followed.)

I thought it would be a very easy way to introduce many to the basic game mechanism but then who doesn’t enjoy swooping down an adversary and going ducka-ducka-ducka!

Kudo's to Doug for coming up with the scenario and matching the planes so well. I thought how simple can this be ..... just keep the outer markers on my right and the centre marker on my left ..... Everything was going okay until after the third outer marker when I managed to circumnavigate the centre marker on the wrong side and had to go round again. In the midst of that I had a head on with Tom and knocked him out of the race.

Many apologies. It was a fun night. I think Clipper's Zeppelin is going to turn up next Tuesday night .... Now, can I avoid running into that

Wonderful to hear that other folks enjoy flying without bullets.

Here's a link to some paper pylons and buildings I posted some time ago if you're interested.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ght=Air+racing

Similar Missions

1. Racing, Not Shooting – Introduction and Race 3
    By Windy Jack in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2022, 00:23
  2. Racing, Not Shooting – Race 4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2022, 00:21
  3. Racing, not Shooting: Introduction and race 1