Ares Games

Thread: Liberty Aviation Museum

Thumbs up Liberty Aviation Museum

This past summer while on a trip to Ohio to visit family I got the chance to check out the Liberty Aviation Museum in Port Clinton, OH. It isn't a large place, room is at a premium, but they have quite a few WWII planes and artifacts. What surprised me the most was the collection of vehicles they had as well. Not just the usual Jeeps, tanks, half tracks, etc, but old fire trucks, tractors, 40s civilian cars. The coolest vehicle is a Goodyear airship chase bus; fully restored minus the boom. The biggest shock though is the PT boat undergoing restoration! Strange to see an all wooden boat with a metal water-tight hatch in the middle.

The claim to fame of the museum is the restored to flying condition B25, Georgie's Gal. If you notice on the nose you will see an outhouse. I believe the story goes they were at an airshow and during a turn around blew over a porta-potty. Sadly, no rides or appearances. (Either in the plane or porta-potty. Don't think I'd pay for the latter though...)

Inside the first thing that caught my eye was a display case with Hogan's Heroes props. Coats, hats, etc. They really needed another case for that! There was too much other stuff to shoot pix of though. Bomber crew gear, logs, etc. There were also some original Tri-Motor interior parts on display.

Speaking of the Ford Tri-Motor; the restored Tri-motor I flew on a few years back (see HERE) is owned and based out this museum. Sadly, it is on permanent lease to the EAA. I was really hoping on another ride over the bay with my son.

Lastly we have the American style diner The Tin Goose. Real 50s feel with a view of the flightline and really good food.

Check out the pictures HERE.

I may have to stop there just to get a number of photographs of that Greyhound bus. It would make an interesting Lego model.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing, Joe.
    They're on my list to visit sometime. I did see George's Girl at the Cleveland airshow in '17 or '18. Got the t-shirt too!
    If you come up again this year, try the MAPS museum at the north end of Akron-Canton airport. Worth the visit.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice pics. Thanks for sharing, Joe.
    They're on my list to visit sometime. I did see George's Girl at the Cleveland airshow in '17 or '18. Got the t-shirt too!
    If you come up again this year, try the MAPS museum at the north end of Akron-Canton airport. Worth the visit.
    Karl
    Thanks for the heads up Karl. We will be back in Ohio this summer so I’ll see how far away it is. And my younger son and I got the hoodies!

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Karl. We will be back in Ohio this summer so I’ll see how far away it is. And my younger son and I got the hoodies!
    Let me know if you do. Depending on life, we could meet up there.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Let me know if you do. Depending on life, we could meet up there.
    Karl
    Sounds good. When plans firm up in May I’ll let you if we are heading up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Sounds good. When plans firm up in May I’ll let you if we are heading up there.

Karl

Similar Missions

1. A visit to the Liberty Aviation Museum
    By Dieter W. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-28-2018, 03:06
  2. SA Aviation Museum Visit
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-05-2016, 10:22
  3. TAM Aviation Museum
    By Barkmann in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12