Ares Games

Thread: OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Vagabond

Default OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Vagabond

I was watching Bob walk arm in arm across the field with a pilot I didn’t recognise, this wasn’t unusual, we often walked arm in arm with our friends and as soon they were in hailing distance I shouted out, “well Bob, how did you like skittering around in Doris”.
    Bob stopped short, looking faintly bemused and then his young face cleared and a smile was on his lips when he said, “I didn’t know you called her Doris. Yes she’s a bloody fine aeroplane, extremely responsive although a little slow”, but then seeing my frown at the insult to Doris’s speed he said, “not so slow that I couldn’t catch one of the new Albatros Dll’s and knock it out of the sky”.
    “You did what”! I was amazed and pleased all at once. “This is only your 3rd solo mission with C Flight and you’ve bagged a Hun. Well done Bob, tell me all about it, but first introduce me to your companion”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edward Mountjoy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	311299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	William Martin.jpg 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	311300
    “Of course” he replied “this is Edward Mountjoy, he arrived yesterday along with William Martin. Edward this is John Vagabond”. “What ho Vaggers old chap” said Mountjoy, “how are you, I heard you had been shot down and couldn’t fly. Jolly bad show, don’t you know”.
    “You’ve not been at the front long” I enquired, anyone who thought not being able to fly was a bad thing had no idea about the war in the air on the Western Front.
    “No” he responded, “arrived a week ago and was posted here yesterday, jolly excited to be here though, this was my first operational flight and don’t you know, I might even be credited with a Hun myself, although it depends on Montague of course”.
    “Montague”? I queried. “Yes Anstruther-Browne, our Flight Commander he replied”. “Oh you mean Biff” I said as the penny dropped. “That’s right” he said, “we went to school together, Eaton don’t you know”. This Edward Mountjoy was beginning to get on my nerves a little.

Turning to Bob I asked about William Martin the other pilot who had joined us, “do you mean Billy the Butcher Martin”? Bob looked askance and said, “maybe, he looks a little rough, with a woolly hat and continually sucking on a Woodbine, is that the man you mean”. “Sounds like a fair description” I smiled. “We went to school together don’t you know, and were expelled the same day, don’t you know”, I glanced in Mountjoys direction before continuing, “enough of that though, tell me about your Hun, I saw Biff going into Uncles Office to give the official version, you can tell me the true version”.

Name:	001 P1480052.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	311253
    “Crikey it was exciting” he started, “Biff wanted us to fly in a diamond formation, he led, with Mountjoy and Martin on either side, slightly astern and above him, then me bringing up the rear and higher than the rest of the formation”. “Sounds interesting” I replied, “how did it work out”? “Pretty well except I was too far back to have any impact on the initial contact as the Germans came on at us in line abreast”.

He stopped in the middle of his narrative and asked, “did Bouncer get back OK”. “Of course he did” I said, “he’s in the Mess shouting Sizzle Sizzle Sizzle and telling anyone who’ll listen what a brilliant pilot he is and how these new rockets will revolutionize air combat. He’s on his second glass of Poteen, can’t you hear the silly ass in there shouting about how he blew up a Sausage and how it went sizzle sizzle sizzle when he shot it down. Those idiot’s from A Flight are encouraging him and the buffoon is lapping it up”.

You may remember that relations between Bouncer Berry and myself where not the most cordial ever since he stole my childhood sweetheart, Bunty Hampster-Crust, then she left him to go to Egypt, following which he tried to ram me in mid air as some sort of act of revenge, he's as mad as a box of frogs.

“It’ll quieten down in a minute when he’s finished his 3rd glass” and almost immediately there was a loud thump as Berry hit the floor, he never could hold his liquor, “there you go – I told you so, carry on with your tale”.

Name:	002 P1480049.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	311254
    “Well”, Bob went on, “Berry as you know went out on a balloon busting mission and was flying home as we crossed the lines, I think he’d been chased off by one of the Roland Two Seater jobbies but they couldn’t keep up and probably having seen us headed their way had given up the race and decided to return home as well”.

“That’s when we saw the formation of Albatros ll’s headed our way”.

“You’ve heard about Trenchards orders Bob queried, the one that says we have to make sure no German plane gets close enough to our side of the lines to observe our new super weapon, the Tank”. I just nodded and he continued, “well they were almost at that point (the red line) when we spotted them, so they would almost certainly see the Tanks, although it was a bit academic as the Roland must have seen them anyway”.

Name:	003 P1480050.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	311255
    “I was a bit worried he explained because it was the first time I’d been in a fight where two lines of planes just fly straight at each other. As we’d never flown together Biff put us in a diamond formation at different heights to reduce the chance of collisions. The Hun’s seemed to have a similar idea, although they were in line abreast with the two outer planes higher than the central ones”.

Name:	004 P1480053.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	311256
    “All hell broke loose as we closed”.

“I’ll say it did” Montjoy interjected, “I had 2 of the bally enemy firing at me, I don’t think they did much damage though and I blazed away at one of the blighters until my gun jammed. It took ages to clear it, one of the cases was distorted and I had to prize it out”.

“You need a mallet” I told him and he looked back quizzically wondering if I was making a fool of him.

Name:	005 P1480057.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	311257
    “Martins plane caught fire and a couple of other planes were smoking” continued Bob “I’m pretty sure that I hit one of the pilots in a black flashed plane, I saw blood or oil spray up from his cockpit area but he kept the plane under control as he flew past. Damn cool customer if I did hit him though” he said with a degree of admiration in his voice.

PROBABLE TO BOB

Name:	06 P1480058.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	311258
    “I turned hard to starboard trying to get on the tail of a plane with a green flash, and everyone else was trying to return to the fight either by turning or doing an Immelmann, something I’ve not mastered yet although I think I’m getting there, just need a bit more practice”. “It’s not something to try in combat until you’ve mastered it, it’s just as likely to get you killed as get you on your opponents tail”. I remarked dryly, thinking back to the first time I used the manoeuvre, it still gives me nightmares.

Name:	007 P1480059.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	311259
    “It was a real dog’s dinner up there, planes were flashing in front of me so fast I couldn’t get a sense of the action although I did see a couple of the Albatrii almost collided as I came back into the fight” he continued.

Name:	008 P1480064.jpg 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	311260
    “By pure good luck I managed to get a shot in at the green flash chap although I don’t think I did much damage he whizzed past so fast”.

Name:	009 P1480065.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	311261
    “Martin was out on a limb though, turning in a tight circle trying to put the fire out and I saw a couple of Albi’s converging on him. I couldn’t really follow what was happening with everyone else because I was concentrating on my own duel with the green Albi. Although it did seem as if the initial formational fight was breaking up into individual combats”.

Name:	010 P1480069.jpg 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	311262
    “That was my impression as well” said Montjoy, “I was watching Martin’s plane in flames as the 2 Huns closed on him but lost sight of that fight as I attacked my nemesis the chap with the blue flash, well maybe he attacked me first” he ruminated.

Name:	011 P1480066.jpg 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	311263
    “As we closed on each other I realized I was firing without thinking, we were taught the theory of deflection shooting in training but all we got to fire at was ground targets and they don’t move very fast. Nor do they shoot back either” he muttered ruefully. “The Hun’s shooting was much better than mine and I was wondering if this might be my first and last mission over the trenches don’t you know”.

Name:	012 P1480071.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	311264
    “I tried to out climb him, but that didn’t seem to work either as he was already doing the same to me, the only good thing was I’d managed to clear the jam by now. That’s when I saw Montague had left us to it and was flying towards Martin and the two German machines; obviously he decided Martin needed help more than we did.
    That’s when I started to get mad, more at the bally blighters that had sent me to the front unprepared for this sort of fight than the Hun who was trying to kill me”.

Name:	013 P1480072.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	311265
    “Martin seemed to be putting up a much better show than I was don’t you know, he’d outwitted both the Hun’s but his plane was still burning up and I wondered how long before he’d be a goner. What an awful way to go”.

“Montague was closing with them in spite of the tremendous volume of smoke coming from his Nieuport he seemed to be flying with a degree of tenacity and purpose that I’d never seen in him at school, well apart from on the cricket pitch that is, he was more focused on the willow and leather than anyone I’ve ever seen before”.

Name:	014 P1480074.jpg 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	311266
    “They both must have been blinded by the flames and smoke because as Martin turned away from his opponent he closed with Montague at breakneck speed”.

Name:	015 P1480077.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	311267
    “But by God’s grace they avoided each other and Montague caught one of the Albatros as it turned across his front and he poured a lethal amount of lead into it”.

Name:	016 P1480084.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	311268
    “There was an explosion that lit up the sky as the German plane blew up in mid air and at the same time Montague’s plane stopped pouring out smoke. How does that happen”. I just grunted and he continued.

KILL TO BIFF

Name:	017 P1480079.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	311269
    “The other plane that had been involved in that fight had obviously either taken a lot of damage or it’s pilot had bottled it and he was flying back to their side of the lines as fast as he could go.

Well it looked like Montague had saved Martin from being shot down but Martins plane must have been in a bad way because I saw that as he’d managed to extinguish the flames he also turned for home.

I don’t know the man, but from the set of his face he doesn’t look the sort to give up easily so I expect his plane must have been burned beyond redemption.”

Name:	018 P1480073.jpg 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	311270
    Montjoy continued with his tale. “I was in awe of Montague’s flying, but I was busy with my fight and I’d turned back towards my opponent, I think I managed to inflict some damage on him in the next pass but it didn’t seem to deter the blighter at all”.

Name:	019 P1480078.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	311271
    “We passed so close I could have spit into his cockpit but they don’t teach you to do that at Eaton don’t you know, I did wish I had my service Webley to hand because I would have shot the bugger if I could have. I think I might have done a better job with it as well”.
    He must have caught my disbelieving look because he mumbled rather lamely; “I was on the school handgun team you know, old chap”.

Name:	020 P1480087.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	311272
    “We must have attacked each other half a dozen times when by some miracle I could see I’d hit his engine, there was no smoke but his plane slowed quite noticeably and almost immediately he turned for home.

Name:	021 P1480088.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	311273
    “We passed so close on this final pass that we touched wings but the collision didn’t seem to affect my machine much, something I’m truly grateful for”.
    “Anyhow I saw Bob flying like a champion below me”; Bob blushed but immediately took up the story. “Yes - the Green flash chap was flying like an ace and I wonder if he was too good for me but as you said before, it’s better to be lucky than good and I caught him by chance, just like Mountjoy I was pretty certain I’d hit his engine”.

Name:	022 P1480089.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	311274
    “I almost felt sorry for him as he turned away because I was on his tail with a certainty that I knew where he was going. Sure enough I could see his elevators move and was able to react almost as soon as his plane did”.

Name:	023 P1480090.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	311275
    “My shooting is still pretty crap but time and time again I had him in my sights and must have caused some damage, even if it wasn’t enough to send him down”.

Name:	024 P1480091.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	311276
    “I’ve heard the term caught like a rabbit in the headlights and it seemed to me to be a pretty poor show keeping on him like that but I’d lost all reason in the chase and was determined to knock him out of the sky”.

Name:	025 P1480092.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	311277
    “So I kept after him but these Albatros are tough as a brick outhouse and he didn’t go down, even though I could see my bullets boring into him”.

Name:	026 P1480093.jpg 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	311278
    “I really need to sharpen up my shooting though, because I just couldn’t knock him out of the sky”.

Name:	027 P1480094.jpg 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	311279
    “Occasionally I would see the tracers fly through his plane but just as often I would be off the mark, finally though I must have hit something vital”.

Name:	028 P1480099.jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	311280
    “His plane lost altitude in a steep dive before hitting the ground in an uncontrolled crash.

Maybe I hit the pilot, maybe it was just too much damage inflicted on the plane, I’ve got no idea. Strange, I feel elated, even though I might have killed a man today, is that a bad thing” he asked quizzically.

“It’s why we are here” I responded, “it’s sort of you or him but it’s much more than that, you did well today, I’m proud of you, don’t dwell on it too much, it won’t help”.

KILL TO BOB

Name:	029 P1480096.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	311281
    “What about you” I asked Mountjoy, he’d been quiet for an unusually long time as Bob recounted his tale.

“Well similar to Bob really I’d hit my opponent but didn’t seem to do much damage and then sort of lost him in the sky somewhere. It’s amazing that you can be so close to a plane and the next minute can’t see them for love nor money. By the time I picked up on where he was I could see Montague closing in on him. I’ll say, he flies like a demon don’t you know, I’m really pleased I was lucky enough to be posted to his flight”.

“Look” I said, “he prefers to be called Biff, I don’t think he’s been Montague since he was at school, we all know him as Biff and I think everyone’s school days are behind them now, don’t you”.

Mountjoy looked a little sheepish and continued, “Anyway as I was closing with the Albi, Biff had already opened his account with it and all I could do was try and help”.

Name:	030 P1480098.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	311282
    With 2 of his flight down and the other one disappearing in the distance he was obviously bugging out and heading for home and we both closed and continued to fire into him.

Name:	031 P1480100.jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	311283
    As Bob says these Albi’s can soak up the damage, but not forever.

Name:	032 P1480102.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	311284
    “I think one of us hit the pilot because I saw him jerk backwards in the cockpit just as he opened fire on Bob but I couldn’t swear to it. I was trying to keep out of Biff’s way and just keep shoot in the right direction, that seemed to be taking all my attention”.

Name:	033 P1480103.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	311285
    “I’m pretty sure he was hit though because almost immediately his plane spiralled downwards crashing on their side of the lines. So that was 3 out of the 4 accounted for”

KILL TO ? Mountjoy was closest Biff hit the pilot, Dave can you adjudicate please.

“That seemed to be it. The black flash plane escaped and the other 3 were shot down” said Bob, “but what did you say about Berry and his Balloon, I don’t think he shot it down you know”.

“He’s not going to like that” I grinned maliciously, “what happened”?

Name:	034 P1480040.jpg 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	311286
    “Well we were a long way back but I saw him making directly for the balloon, there was another plane a tandem, probably a Roland but it appeared to be flying away at the time of Berry’s attack”.

Name:	035 P1480043.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	311287
    “That allowed Berry to close with the balloon and he fired all his rockets in one salvo”. “Sensible for once” I remarked.

Name:	036 P1480046.jpg 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	311288
    Bob grinned and continued “He must have hit it because I saw flames leap up in the air, followed almost immediately by the Observers jumping out, both their parachutes opened and they drifted gently downwards”.

“By the way, why don’t we have parachutes in the RFC”, I just smiled and said “It’s bad for the backbone apparently”

“Oh”!

Name:	037 P1480047.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	311289
    Well Bob continued, “as soon as he’d fired the rockets Berry turned for home but the Roland had cut him off from escaping so easily”.

Name:	038 P1480048.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	311290
    “They almost collided as Berry ducked and dived to escape the attack but he dummied the Roland Pilot and slipped behind him. The Roland chased for a while but gave up when he was over the trenches. The tanks were directly underneath us at the time so I expect he saw them and was returning to report the sighting”.

“Anyway the balloon was wound down extremely fast by the ground crew, it was burning all the way but as soon as they got it on the ground I could see them extinguish the flames so I’m pretty sure he won’t get a kill for it”.

“He’ll be mortified”. “Yes” I replied “and he’s been buying drinks all round and talking of drinks, you, Biff and maybe Mountjoy here, are in the chair, I think that makes mine a triple”.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-07-2022 at 13:45.

Butchers Bill

Name:	050 P1480111.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	311291
    2nd Lt Wilfred BerryRTB 0 Kills (alas poor Berry) 1 probable (balloon).

When Berry heard the news that he didn’t have a balloon to his name he requested a re-count which Uncle refused and was sent from Uncles Office with a flea in his ear. It was either a flea or the buzzing sound of a dozen lumberjacks but the effects of the Poteen can cause that result for the unwary.

Name:	051 P1480105.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	311292
    Lt Montague (Biff) Anstruther-Browne:RTB - 2 Kills (Danhuber and Muller)

2Lt Edward (The Toff) Mountjoy:RTB 0 Kills

Name:	052 P1480106.jpg 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	311293
    F/Sgt William (The Butcher) Martin: – FRTB-D 0 Kills
    Rolled 5+4 – landed safely

In spite of a badly damaged plane Martin brought the Nieuport down on the field in an exemplary manner and joined the rest of C Flight in the Mess for the celebrations. As the evening wore on and the drinks flowed he said to Mountjoy (after Montjoy’s 10th or 15th Don’t you know) “You’re a bit of a Toff old lad aren’t you”, to which Mountjoy replied, “Of course I am, it runs in the family old chap, don’t you know” “We’re a minor branch of the Percy family, the Earl of Northumberland. Then, emboldened by the alcohol no doubt, asked “why did Vagabond call you The Butcher”.

The room went quiet, you don’t ask those sorts of questions of a man you’ve only known one day especially one called The Butcher but Martin just burst out laughing, that’s because I own the Butchers shop in Clegghorn Street, Alnwick you great dope, I supply the Earl’s meat and game. Why did you think he called me the Butcher?

The answer was lost in the laughter and the call for more Wine, Gin, Whisky, Poteen or whatever they were drinking.

F/Sgt Robert (Bob) ParkhurstRTB - 1 Kill (Hubrich), 1probable (Nuenhoffen)

After 3 missions Bob has almost passed the threshold of 4 missions to use the full deck of manoeuvre cards. I’m using Flying Helmets ideas on novice pilots, and next time Bob goes up the only card he can’t use is the Immelmann. I totally forgot to do this for The Toff and The Butcher, I’ll catch them next time.

Name:	053 P1480109.jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	311294
    Sausage – Hauled down before it burned down. - No Kills (apart from Berry’s ego)
    The Observers saw the tanks as they parachuted down.

Name:	054 P1480110.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	311295
    P2 Vzfwbl Willhelm Heinrich:RTB 0 Kill

O Obltn Betram Hohndorf: - RTB 0 Kills

Eagle eyed Betram also saw the tanks as they flew over the line.

Name:	055 P1480107.jpg 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	311296
    ObLtn Edmund Nuenhoffen: (Black) - FRTB-W / WIA 0 Kills
    Rolled 3+5 = Landed safely
    C&W Rolled 8 -1WIA +1 RTB = 8 Injured - skip 1D2 - Rolled 3 skip 1 Scenario.

Edmund saw the tanks as he crossed the lines

Ltn Friedrich Dannhuber: (Red) SD-EXP-NML 0 Kills
    C&W Rolled 6 -3EXP = 3 Injured skip 1D6, rolled 5 = skip 5 scenarios.
    E&E Rolled 3 -1EXP -1WIC +1 NML =2 Captured The war is over for this pilot.

Name:	056 P1480108.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	311297
    Ltn Heinrich Muller: (Blue) - SD-FT / WIA 0 Kills
    C&W Rolled 11 –1SD -1WIA = 9 All well when you land well. (just a scratch !)

Ltn Walter Hubrich: (Green) - SD-FT 0 Kills
    C&W Rolled 3+3=6 -1SD = 5 Injured skip 1D3 rolled 2 = skip 1 scenario

I was going to make an attempt to allocate victory points but having re-read the last amendment I mistakenly had the Germans arrive the turn after the Balloon was hit and caught fire, so they were well on their way across the board before the RFC started.

AMENDMENTS If the balloon is destroyed the CP planes arrive the 1 full turn after.

The other bit I wasn’t sure about was The balloon buster cannot engage the reserve scouts

So I had the buster fire and runaway, with the two seater chasing, until they saw the tanks, and then returning to report. As they passed their own scouts I assumed they would point out the tanks and indicate they would report them so I could have a 4 a side dogfight because the German Scouts job was done.

At alt 7 the Balloon caught fire and the Observers jumped, I decided they would be too busy with their parachutes at alt 6 and 5, but they had a chance to spot the tanks on level 4 and 3 only. They threw a 5 at level 4 so spotted them.

I don’t usually worry too much about who wins or loses and in this case the Germans fulfilled their mission by spotting the tanks and the RFC failed to stop them. However C Flight scored 3 victories, a feat only achieved once before in the last 2 ½ years of 30 games and no one is going to say that wasn’t a victory. Trenchard can go and butter his boots for all we care.

The drinks are on us.

Cheers
    Last edited by flash; 02-09-2022 at 01:33.

Dave if you could adjudicate because I’m not sure. As I said in the game Mountjoy was marginally closer but Biff hit the pilot, I think that gives it to Mountjoy? Cheers
    Again, proximity does not influence who gets the kill just whose fire is taken account of first. If the nearest produces the kill shot they get the kill, if they don't the next nearest and so on until the result is achieved.
    So without knowing the order of the damage I cannot decide this - you will have to make the call.
    I cannot fully process the Tally as they are incomplete - where were people shot down ? what is SE ? The options are FT, ET, or, NML. I think at least one of the Eagles is down BEL but this is not accounted for. Also need a decision on the kills, looking back at the photos and counting back it looks like it's Biffs but you need to confirm that.. I picked up Bob's probable & put it in the tally. Uncle awaits !

Very nicely put together AAR & storyline as always John.

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps - Now the dust has settled and the paperwork has been straightened out it's clear you saw off those Huns in quick order, three kills and a probable as well as a severely scorched sausage gives us much to celebrate. Congratulations to young Parkhurst for bagging his first.
    It's not clear if Jerry spotted the tanks yet - the aircrew may have seen something and got the word back. Only time will tell but I don't think the observers would spot sweet fanny adams without their optics and falling from the sky on a brolly like they did ..!
    Meanwhile on t'other side..
    Ltn Friedrich Schleiff (Bullet Checker) has joined the Eagles.
    ObLtn Bertram Höhndorf is awarded the War Merit Cross for his service and victories for the Kaiser
    Last edited by flash; 02-09-2022 at 02:20.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Another great story, John, even if we're not quite sure what happened - to whom by whom.

But your crew all survived, so drinks in the mess are in order...or, er, on order.

P.S. I would expect the Albatri probably didn't fly as well as they might dragging those big, non-aerodynamic, coloured blocks around. Their commanding officer should be court-martialled for encumbering his pilots with those. Hopefully they were foam blocks and not concrete ones.

Interesting tales of "dewwing do" with your toffs in action.
    I was beginning to wonder what happened to the balloon and if you had decided to play without it, but it made an appearance at the end to fix my confusion.
    Always enjoy your AARs, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    .. he's as mad as a box of frogs....
    Hadn't heard that one before, but it brought back a memory:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	311314

Bought that LP back in 1984 (former members of the Yardbirds)

That toff Mountjoy -- I despise him already. Remind me not to cross Nurse S.
    Great AAR, John.

What a story! Quite a few downed hun, a singed gasbag that made it to the ground, an raf nieuport that fired its rockets then legged it, i couldn’t keep up!! Great story kept me involved to the end (even if I did have to read it twice) and still waiting on a decision and Uncle’s wise words.

Have some Rep if not jammed

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Held for Uncle

Again, proximity does not influence who gets the kill just whose fire is taken account of first. If the nearest produces the kill shot they get the kill, if they don't the next nearest and so on until the result is achieved.
    So without knowing the order of the damage I cannot decide this - you will have to make the call.
    I cannot fully process the Tally as they are incomplete - where were people shot down ? what is SE ? The options are FT, ET, or, NML. I think at least one of the Eagles is down BEL but this is not accounted for. Also need a decision on the kills, looking back at the photos and counting back it looks like it's Biffs but you need to confirm that.. I picked up Bob's probable & put it in the tally. Uncle awaits !
    Quote from the campaign rules.
    Victories: There will be no shared kills in OTT campaigns. (If in doubt who got the kill, ie two or more aircraft could have finished the target aircraft in the same phase then the nearest aircraft is adjudged to have fired first & gets the kill.
    I'm misinterpreting this then, that the nearest gets the kill. Taking your explaination - Mountjoy as nearest fired first but didn't destroy the plane Biff who was further away fired second and that destroyed the plane. Kill to Biff then.

I completely forgot about where they were shot down I was just pleased to have shot them down. Danhubber will have been shot down in NML, the other 2 in FT, I've corrected that now but not sure if EXP = FLM for the -1.

Mea Culpa
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-08-2022 at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Another great story, John, even if we're not quite sure what happened - to whom by whom.

But your crew all survived, so drinks in the mess are in order...or, er, on order.

P.S. I would expect the Albatri probably didn't fly as well as they might dragging those big, non-aerodynamic, coloured blocks around. Their commanding officer should be court-martialled for encumbering his pilots with those. Hopefully they were foam blocks and not concrete ones.
    The concrete blocks are a C Flight ploy to slow the enemy down. It's working well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Interesting tales of "dewwing do" with your toffs in action.
    I was beginning to wonder what happened to the balloon and if you had decided to play without it, but it made an appearance at the end to fix my confusion.
    Always enjoy your AARs, John.

Hadn't heard that one before, but it brought back a memory:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	311314

Bought that LP back in 1984 (former members of the Yardbirds)
    Cheers Pete, I've tried starting at the begining and also at end before now with my AAR's but never the middle so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It just adds to the fog of war. A little like my Butchers Bill did.

I remember the Yardbirds but for the life of me I can't remember their music, I'll have to look on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    That toff Mountjoy -- I despise him already. Remind me not to cross Nurse S.
    Great AAR, John.
    No one should cross Nurse S. They won't do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What a story! Quite a few downed hun, a singed gasbag that made it to the ground, an raf nieuport that fired its rockets then legged it, i couldn’t keep up!! Great story kept me involved to the end (even if I did have to read it twice) and still waiting on a decision and Uncle’s wise words.

Have some Rep if not jammed
    Crikey Baz I'm sorry you had to read it twice, that's above and beyond the call of duty, was it any clearer the second time?
    Cheers and thanks for the Rep if it arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ..I'm misinterpreting this then, that the nearest gets the kill. Taking your explanation - Mountjoy as nearest fired first but didn't destroy the plane, Biff who was further away fired second and that destroyed the plane. Kill to Biff then...
    Yeah, you've been applying a mechanic for deciding who gets the kill when two or more pilots could have. Clearly Toff didn't score enough this time so Biff picks up the spare ! Dannhuber was indeed taken prisoner but has to forgo being dined out at the Bulldog's mess due to his not insubstantial injuries.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

What a tale of two halves. Thoroughly enjoyed it and glad others have trouble keeping up with the minituiae of the scoring system and butchers tally.

Another wonderful story John. Your boys did quite a job on those Hun flyers. 3 kills to nil. Maybe those new Albatros scouts aren't so tough?

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    What a tale of two halves. Thoroughly enjoyed it and glad others have trouble keeping up with the minituiae of the scoring system and butchers tally.
    Cheers Gary, I'm sure the Butchers used to be much easier, or maybe I used to be more alert in my early days. Dave used to compliment me on my tally rather than castigate me, C'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Another wonderful story John. Your boys did quite a job on those Hun flyers. 3 kills to nil. Maybe those new Albatros scouts aren't so tough?
    Cheers Peter, it does seem as if C Flight is on a roll at the moment, I hope it continues but doubt it will.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-18-2022, 03:11
  2. AAR OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Tikkifriend
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2022, 13:35
  3. AAR OTT BYM Mission 6 : “Somme Success” 12th November 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-17-2022, 12:27
  4. BRF OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Tikkifriend