Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Scenario 4 - Dogfight!

Default AAR: Scenario 4 - Dogfight!

Foreword:
    There is an amazing moment during combat when everything conspires to the kill. Amazing if you are in the good side of the barrels...

Section of the Tsubai Squadron, 703 Koukutai, Carrier Hiryū, 2nd Carrier Division serving as CAP for a Transport Fleet intercepting enemy Army Fighters

"I see them!" Kaigun Jun-i Saburo Tsuruno shouted in the full splendor of his youth. Kaigun Chūi Taii Nobuo Fujita laughed. "It would be better", he said mockingly, "if you stated where and how many."

Kaigun Shōi Mitsubishi Kinsei was quick to capitalize the moment. "Six bandits twelve o'clock closing in."

Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung watched them carefully. "Army fighters. Pincer movement. Fujita! Slide right. We'll go left. Don't let them play us. Stay close to them!" He heard three voices shouting in unison. "Hai!"

Mikeyung watched his half squadron opening in a perfect maneuver.

"They are keeping up with us, Fujita! Flank them after our passage" Fugita replied with a smile in his voice. "Hai! I hope that they don't ruin your passage Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung."

Mikeyung laughed. "We'll move across them like bees between drops of rain."

"Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung! Two of the Americans are reacting to us." Mikeyung looked carefully at the planes. "You have P-40's moving to you. We have P-36. Keep them close, they are less maneuverable but have good firepower."

"They moved away! Are they stupid?!" Fujita spat with admiration. Mikeyung tried to look at the P-40's while approaching the four P-36. "Fujita! They are making a reverse! Don't put yourself in their crosshairs!"

"I hit one of the Americans!" Fujita shouted.

Both Tsuruno and Mikeyung fired at the leading P-36, hitting it hard.

And then all the P-36's fired back concentrating on Mikeyung's zero. "Are you alright, Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung?!" Tsuruno asked with fear in his voice. "Like a bee on a spring shower..." Mikeyung replied.

The Zeroes finished their pincer movement and the Americans pass them by. Mikeyung looked at the reverse of the P-40's and one of them was flying with skill. He wanted to warn his comrades but he understood that they would soon understand it.

The American ended his reverse opening fire against Kinsei with an uncanny accuracy. "Ace!" shouted Kinsei and the dogfight took immediately a new dimension.

"Let's exchange targets! Keep them turning!" Mikeyung shouted on his radio.

Both Tsuruno and Mikeyung capitalized on a P-40, filling it with holes.

Now the dance became different. The P-36's went for a split-s trying to reverse as fast as they could but the zeroes were inside the maneuvering of all American fighters.

Tsuruno fired a very accurate volley that raked the P-40 from side to side. No pilot bailed out. No parachute opened...

"Well done Tsuruno! Your first kill!" Mikeyung shouted with a proud voice. Tsuruno replied humbled. "Domo arigato, Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung! You honor me!"

Mikeyung fired at long range against the American ace but he was able to avoid damage. This one is trouble, Mikeyung thought to himself.

Fujita and Kinsei fired against the P-36 that was already damaged hitting it squarely.

The P-36 cracked open and went down. A parachute opened over the ocean. "Congratulations for this amazing kill, Kaigun Chūi Taii Nobuo Fujita." said Kinsei. "Hai, hai..." replied Fujita with a kind voice. "You know how this works, Kinsei. You'll have a kill soon..."

Like most pilots, Mikeyung didn't like that the ranking officer kept the kill but he knew that the fight was now becoming harder. "Congratulations, Fujita and less chatter! This is far from being over." While he was reversing they both replied sharply. "Hai!"

Then Mikeyung saw the American ace mirroring their reverse. "He's on you Tsuruno! Turn in his direction!"

The American ace hit him again with precision.

And the P-36's seemed to gain a new breath.

But Kinsei paid them back in kind.

Tsuruno wasn't able to shake off the American ace and he glued himself to his tail. "Turn hard right! Hard right Tsuruno!" Mikeyung shouted to his wingman.

The American shot Tsuruno Zero through the cockpit. Mikeyung could see his wingman jerk under the fusillade of the American machineguns.

Tsuruno zero went down in flames. The ocean would be Tsurono's tomb. Mikeyung fought the tears that were starting to blind him. You avenged your wingman, American. I'll avenge mine!

He fired against the P-36 that was trying to tail his comrades but he fired from too far and too late.

As if they were listening to his thoughts, his comrades fired a heavy cannon fusillade against the American ace and raked him heavily.

Wounded and in fire, the American ace tried to escape. Mikeyung concentrated on the P-36 that was trying to tail his comrades.

Fujita and Kinsei kept following the P-40 in flames and fired again against it.

It went down like a ball of fire, the pilot unable to abandon the cockpit. "Congratulations for another amazing kill, Kaigun Chūi Taii Nobuo Fujita." Kinsei repeated. "Ie!" replied Fujita harshly. "You know that this kill is yours, Kinsei. I didn't hit the American..." Kinsei agreed. "Domo arigato."

Then with a quick burst, Mikeyung destroyed the P-36.

The P-36 went down and a parachute opened a few seconds later. "Congratulations Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung!" said Fujita. But Mikeyung had blood on his teeth and he couldn't speak for the moment.

As his wingmen went on a reverse he went for the remaining two Americans.

He fired against the leading P-36.

The P-36's turned sharply left and Mikeyung easily kept up with them.

And kept on pounding against the previously wounded bird.

It went down with a crack on its wings. Another parachute open over the waters.

Then the last P-36 was facing two zeroes as Mikeyung watched the duel mesmerized.

The lone P-36 fired courageously against Kinsei doing visible damage.

His wingmen fired back, hitting the American squarely.

The American pushed his engine trying to escape.

Almost detached Mikeyung pulled the trigger and cannons and machineguns made a hard work on the frame of the American fighter.

Outclassed, outgunned, outmaneuver and outnumbered, the fighter went down in a wounded silence.

Mikeyung formed with his wingmen and together they started looking for the Hiryū to land, be praised and mourn their comrade.

The Bill:
    Kaigun Chūi Quinn Mikeyung (Ace - Evasion, Sniper) - 5 kills - 3 kill in this scenario - Becomes Ace in this scenario (gets Sniper ability)
    Kaigun Chūi Taii Nobuo Fujita (Veteran - Evasion) - 1 kill in this scenario
    Kaigun Shōi Mitsubishi Kinsei (Standard) - 1 kill in this scenario
    Kaigun Jun-i Saburo Tsuruno (Standard) - 1 kill in this scenario - KIA in this scenario

Rules in effect:
    [I AI planes try to escape if pilot wounded or the moment they have only 2 hits or less remaining.
    Rookies follow the same order if they have a leader in their 12. In case of being by themselves they are played as an AI.
    The American P-40's are an Ace and a Veteran. The P-36's are two veterans and two rookies.[/I]

Here you can find Hiryū and Tsubai Squadron
    Last edited by Blackronin; 02-05-2022 at 15:02.

Great dogfight , well done.

You kept us on the edge of our seats with that one, Joaquim.
    REP incoming.

Very intense scrap, and an exciting AAR - many thanks for posting!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by BodeGier View Post
    Great dogfight , well done.
    Thanks Boris. You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    You kept us on the edge of our seats with that one, Joaquim.
    REP incoming.
    Thanks Pete. For the kind words and the REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Very intense scrap, and an exciting AAR - many thanks for posting!
    Thanks Tim. You're most kind.

I missed this originally but really pleased I found it in the end. That was an amazing report Joaquim, really intense and well written, thanks so much for posting it.
    Cheers

What a frantic battle that was. Nice planes and damage markers too by the way. Well done.

wow full of action. Nice one Joachim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I missed this originally but really pleased I found it in the end. That was an amazing report Joaquim, really intense and well written, thanks so much for posting it.
    Cheers
    Thanks John. You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    What a frantic battle that was. Nice planes and damage markers too by the way. Well done.
    Thanks Gary. The damage markers were done by Peter and sent to me with love and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    wow full of action. Nice one Joachim
    Thanks Iain! You're too kind.

I only just came across this also.
    What a splendid action.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

A blast from the past there . Where is Joaquim now?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Wow! Great action. Intense and gut-wrenching on the side of the Americans. The outcome could hardly been otherwise, given it was a level dogfight. Thanks for bringing firward this AAR, Paul!

Similar Missions

1. Midway Rising Scenario Four: Dogfight !
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2020, 08:14
  2. A balanced dogfight Scenario
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-09-2018, 04:56
  3. AAR BOB Scenario 3 - Simply a Dogfight - Part 2 - Blackronin
    By Blackronin in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-17-2014, 01:34
  4. AAR BOB Scenario 3 - Simply a Dogfight - Part 1 - Blackronin