Ares Games

Thread: Balloon stand size?

Question Balloon stand size?

I’m looking at getting a couple of RAF’s balloons. So, for someone who has an “official” balloon, how big is the stand? Does it use the “bomber” pegs? I’m looking at Litko stands at the moment btw.

Thanks for any info.

Just measured one of mine - 88mm x 194mm

The pegs are the "Bomber" style pegs.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I think the official size is supposed to be 90 x 195mm but like most Nexus/Ares items (plane and maneuver cards, bases) they are a bit smaller after the manufacturing process.

Thanks. I am guessing there is a “peg” on the bottom of the balloon as well?

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I am guessing there is a “peg” on the bottom of the balloon as well?
    Yes, there is.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Joe, another option to create your own base:
    Cut 1/4" plexiglass, drill shallow hole with 3/8" forstner bit then a center hole with 5/32" drill bit. Telescoping magnet tool and flat top machine screw secure the telescoping tool to the base. On the balloon I use a small wood screw or washer, the washer is probably better for the shapeways balloon. Apply a "28 boom" decal or sticker to the base then matte varnish seal it. An example here

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    I’m looking at getting a couple of RAF’s balloons. So, for someone who has an “official” balloon, how big is the stand? Does it use the “bomber” pegs? I’m looking at Litko stands at the moment btw.

Thanks for any info.
    Joe, I bought a Litko balloon stand for my Red Eagle Drachen model. The base is 88mm x 133mm. The stand is 80mm high. I place an Ares balloon card from Burning Drachens under the stand to ensure I'm using the correct dimensions. I also added a peg to the top of the balloon stand to get extra height on the table (125mm total height). I have a pic of it on my album page. I put a hole under the Drachen to accommodate the Litko peg. Hope this helps.

Thanks Craig. I did indeed see that stand on Litko. I was going use it as a last resort kind of thing. I wanted to stay as close to the original peg system (and honestly ease of setup, I have enough to build and paint right now!) as possible.

Wish I’d have gone the balloon route while Aerodrome was still in business! Day late and a dollar short.

Similar Missions

1. STAND BY STAND BY WMMS 2017
    By Maverick in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 15:20
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 01:31
  3. 1/72 size base
    By Flo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 07:18
  4. Replies: 11