Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Scenario 3 - Attack Transport Fleet

Default AAR: Scenario 3 - Attack Transport Fleet

Foreword:
    A red scarf handmade by my lover
    Caresses my neck
    How happy I am.

Kaigun Jun-i Yukio Sugita

Section of the Tsubai Squadron, 703 Koukutai, Carrier Hiryū, 2nd Carrier Division serving as CAP for a Transport Fleet

Kaigun Jun-i Yukio Sugita moved up and down his wings to draw the attention of Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida, his Squadron Leader. When Fuchida looked at him he pointed west. His Squadron Leader made the sign that he was seeing the enemy. He told him with hand signs to stay close to him. He confirmed and they moved in the direction of the approaching enemy planes.

Sugita had very few combat hours under his belt and he knew it. Flying as wingman of an ace made him nervous and he told himself that he would cover the six of Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida no matter what. He touched the red scarf that his fiancée made for him and he smiled.

When they were close enough he could see two dive bombers moving against the two transport ships they were protecting. And with them two Wildcats. Sugita wandered on what would his Squadron Leader would do.

The dive bombers were opening, each aiming at a different transport. The Wildcats seem to be oblivious of the the two zeroes coming for them.

Sugita was not surprised that Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida charged directly one of the dive bombers. Sugita kept a close formation preparing himself for the clash.

Only when they zoomed past the Wilcats did the American saw them. What an advantage they had. Sugita saw the dive bomber becoming bigger in his crosshairs. They descended since the dive bomber was going down for his attack.

Sugita looked quickly to his left and saw the Wildcats starting to turn in their direction. A flash to the east assured him that another comrade came to help them. He hoped that he would arrive on time. Then he targeted the dive bomber.

Together with Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida he raked heavily the American plane. But he kept flying and aiming at the ship.

Then they passed it by, not able to keep up with its dive and Fuchida was already aiming at the other dive bomber. Sugita looked back and saw the American bomber releasing his bomb. He hoped that he missed the ship.

The gunner of the second American bomber was a good shot and he hit the plane of Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida. He was trying to put himself in position to attack the second transport ship.

They both fired at it from long range and they both scored impressive hits. Fugita was becoming more at ease with his abilities.

Fugita saw the bomb of the first Dive bomber hitting the transport ship and a cloud of smoke immediately cover the ocean. But he had to maintain his eyes on the second plane. Suddenly he remembered the name of this type. Dauntless!

Trying to maintain his awareness around himself Sugita saw the Wildcats making a reverse, Kaigun Shōi Jiro Horikoshi approaching to help them, the first Dauntless recovering from its dive and the second one starting the bombing dive.

Then they fired at the Dauntless. He missed but Fuchida raked the Dauntless from engine to tail.

The Dauntless didn't recover from the dive. No parachute opened over the ocean. Sugita had imprinted in his retina de scared face of the Dauntless gunner. He touched his red scarf.

Sugita was sweating in order to maintain formation with Fuchida. The man was an amazing pilot and Sugita knew that in order to survive he had to keep himself glued to his wingman. The Wildcats were facing them now but they also had company.

Fuchida ignored completely and aimed again at the wounded Dauntless. Sugita looked at the fighters for a brief second.

The Wildcats fired at Fuchida from afar and didn't connect. Does he know the quality of the enemy just by seeing them flying, Sugita asked himself.

Kaigun Shōi Jiro Horikoshi hit one of the American fighters squarely in the cockpit. The battle was now one sided, Sugita said to himself.

The enemy is going to try to escape. But Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida will not allow this to happen, he thought to himself.

Then the Dauntless gunner hit the engine of Sugita's Zero. A stream of black smoke covered his cockpit as he fired back.

They both fired at the Dauntless but he was distracted with the smoke and Fuchida was making signs for him to return to the carrier. Sugita didn't want to but he had to obey.

He couldn't see a thing much less fire. The Dauntless gunner kept firing at him. But he saw Fuchida aiming carefully.

The Dauntless gunner hit him again doing good damage. He decided that he would leave now.

Fuchida fired a stream of bullets and shells and the Dauntless shuddered like a dying bird.

That was the second kill of Fuchida. Now only the Wildcats remained.

One of the Wildcats was under fire and the other was clearly limping away.

Going back to the Hiryū, Sugita could see the final stages of the dogfight.

The remaining Wildcat fired against Fuchida but it was a long shot.

Then Horikoshi fired a perfect volley.

The Wildcat went down.

Sugita saw the remaining Wildcat escaping and the lazy pursuit from his fellow wingmen. Sugita knew that he was flying with giants...

The Bill:
    Kaigun Taii Mitsuo Fuchida (Ace - Acrobatic Pilot, Evasion) 2 kills in this scenario
    Kaigun Shōi Jiro Horikoshi (Standard) 1 kill in this scenario
    Kaigun Jun-i Yukio Sugita (Rookie) becomes Standard in this scenario

Rules in effect:
    [I AI planes try to escape if pilot wounded or the moment they have only 2 hits or less remaining.
    Rookies follow the same order if they have a leader in their 12. In case of being by themselves they are played as an AI.[/I]

Here you can find Hiryū and Tsubai Squadron

Excellent stuff!

Thanks for posting it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great AAR, Joaquim.
    Worthy of REP but I am unable to provide any at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Excellent stuff!

Thanks for posting it.
    Thanks Tim. You're too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great AAR, Joaquim.
    Worthy of REP but I am unable to provide any at this time.
    Thanks Pete.
    Happy that you liked it.

Another enthralling encounter Quim.
    Just like old times.
    I must dust off my Polish 303 boys.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Another enthralling encounter Quim.
    Just like old times.
    I must dust off my Polish 303 boys.
    Rob.
    Thank you my friend.
    Indeed you should.
    And thanks for the REP. You are, as always, too kind.

Similar Missions

1. Midway Rising: Attack the Transport Fleet
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2021, 11:43
  2. BRF Scenario 10: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 06:49
  3. AAR Midway Rising: Scenario 3: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 09:03
  4. AAR: Attack Transport Fleet ( Marechallannes US Navy)
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 22:39
  5. Scenario 3: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 01:11