Ares Games

Thread: Albatros D.II (Oswald Boelcke)

Default Albatros D.II (Oswald Boelcke)

Hi friends,

It was not my intention to start to build Albatros yet. But after I tried to assemble one of available models of D.II and was not fuly satisfied, I needed to try to made one myself imediately. I wanted to try if I will be able to depict round shapes of this plane in paper in convincing way with hidden seams. My approach is to cut the fuselage on seams present on actual plane, so I can naturaly hide the seams of paper model that way.

After few tries I am set on course and this is my WIP 3d model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	310594

Here are tests: top one is available model, the rest are iteratons of my design.

Name:	IMG_0460-s.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	310595

I'll start with just ONE Albatros That's what we all said the only word to prefix Albatros with is MORE

I don't know if it will be helpful, or humorous, but I had issues with the fuselage of the Albatros. D.III or D.V would be similar, I'd think.

This is a thread of my efforts with a paper D.V: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 5th Project - Albatros D V - Schleich
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Fiddly stuff, I should think the later versions would be harder as they have rounded fuselage sides rather than just top and bottom. Don't think I'd get far down that road !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Your Albatros D.V is nice Mike.

You are right, Dave. D.I - D.III has flat sides, D.V is rounded everywhere. So D.V fuselage needs to be split to more parts to depict that suficiently.

I am trying new approach to model WoG aircraft from paper. I decided to use my 3d printer to print skeleton (just fuselage and wings) of the aircraft and then wrap paper parts around it.

This way I can use the best from both worlds - model will be durable as plastic and with beautiful detailed textures of paper model. Paper will hide layered 3d printed surface and protruding ribs on wings can be done easily too, because they can be pushed to the paper.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	315232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	315233

I like your approach. Some models really require a supporting skeleton to make them look right. I did some experiments where i carved out parts of the fuselage in wood and then wrapped with paper. With a 3d printer your results are surely more consistent.

Aww. That is kind of cheating. And smart.

That will give you the right shape, and the compound curve, but without interior support. IIRC, I think Patrick [pstapleton53] used a liquid filler, like white glue that dried into a solid form, in his planes. That might work for this process, too?

PS: Yup, it was Patrick, and it was hot glue. See here: Some Prudenzio Albatros D-III's
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

There are some supremely talented folk on this site... wish I was one of them, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thank you .

It is more cheating that you thing because skeleton is there not only to form the shape, but it will stay inside and become internal structure. It realy simplify forming the right shape of the hull for rounded planes.
    Thank you for hot glue technique tip. Realy clever, I will try that on boxy Fokker model. Patrick did superb job on his Albatroses

A great idea for adding strength to your models Petr.
    Very innovative.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2020, 14:27
  2. The Great War In The Air - 213 Death Of Boelcke
    By tikkifriend in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2016, 17:41
  3. The other Dicta Boelcke
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 13:40
  4. Jasta "Boelcke" Albatros D3 repaints