Ares Games

Thread: Me 309 Marks out of 10

Default Me 309 Marks out of 10

found this trolling the net . Looks a bit like a mating of a 262 and a 109 .

Thoughts please
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roit4Odw3UY

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Outwardly has the look of the Bell P-39 Airacobra

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A so-so what-if.....

As the documentary says, "nothing special"

Interesting link, thanks for posting
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

One of several times a newer "improved" model did not actually prove to be an improvement.
    When I first read about the 309, I wondered why they went to a tricycle landing gear, with the added weight and complexity.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 01-15-2022 at 11:42. Reason: sp
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thought provoking. Aircraft went from just about being able to fly to jet engines in about 35 years. Also manned powered turrets came in at the start of WW2 and were obsolete by the end, with the introduction of the jet engine (i.e. you couldn't follow a target quick enough - I think!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Thought provoking. Aircraft went from just about being able to fly to jet engines in about 35 years. Also manned powered turrets came in at the start of WW2 and were obsolete by the end, with the introduction of the jet engine (i.e. you couldn't follow a target quick enough - I think!!!)
    Hey Iain.
    Not so much about keeping the track on the target but more about weapons that could take down the bomber out of the range of the turrets.
    There are still some post ww2 bombers with very good turrets. But missiles made them obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Hey Iain.
    Not so much about keeping the track on the target but more about weapons that could take down the bomber out of the range of the turrets.
    There are still some post ww2 bombers with very good turrets. But missiles made them obsolete.
    Even on a B-52, the main use for the tail gunner back there by his lonesome was a pair of eyes tracking direction on incoming SAMs.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Joachim and Diamondback thanks for the info

Similar Missions

1. Marks and Spencer special.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-29-2020, 16:40