Ares Games

Thread: Shapeway Materials Help

Default Shapeway Materials Help

Okay, now Shapeways offers planes in a variety of materials, and I want to start a 1/285th or 1/288th collection, and getting confused on wat to order that will take the least prep time and have the least amount of grainy feel.

Good old white natural versatile plastic is the basic grainy stuff, yes?

Smooth fine detail plastic is the above, just polished, yes?

Smoothest fine detail plastic is more polishing, and even less detail?

What is this Gray PA12? Still says matte with a slightly grainy finish, much like white natural versatile plastic...any difference?

My plan is to order planes, prep them to take paint, them ship them to a painter to have painted.

I got some 1/350 planes in FUD, and didn't do any prep work at all.

Seems I don't have any close-up photos of them; the nearest I've got is here:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...177#post458177

photo 10

If you can zoom in, you'll get a better idea of the finished result.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What's the story on colored plastics, such as "black natural versatile plastic," and "red processed versatile plastic?" This isn't the detailed, multicolor "painted" models, but solid colors instead of clear or whitish.

Several shops have them - such as Decapod for its Fokker Dr.1, and I'm wondering if the finish is good enough I could skip priming/basecoating, and just add decals and paint a few details. Anyone have any experience with these finishes?

Smooth/Smoothest fine detail plastic - completely different material to versatile.

It's very brittle but does show detail
    Versatile plastic is nylon particles and models at 6mm will lack any detail.

Detail Plastic (which used to be called "FUD") has the best detail and is affordable at 1:285. It is a bit brittle (which is less of a problem at that scale). Sometimes -- over time -- tiny crystals will form on its surface. It's unclear whether painting, priming, washing, or extra curing in the sun will fix this latter problem. I don't think anyone has done systematic experiments on the topic, and Shapeways remains silent.

I've started adding PA12 as an option to my newer designs. It is quite robust and usually less expensive than Detail Plastic, but it isn't quite as good on having a smooth surface or holding small details. It would be my recommendation, though, where it's available. I just bought a 1:285 Zeppelin-Staaken in that material and I'll attach a picture below. It looks grainy but that's just an artifact of the printing process... it's pretty smooth and paints up well.

Versatile Plastic (nee "WSF") is the cheapest, but it's better for 1:144 than 1:285.

You can find a list of all the WWI planes available at 1:285-1:288 at https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Cate...5-1:288_Models. Currently there are 258 planes on that list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4517.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	310472

Thanks all, for your input. And Daryl, I appreciate all the details! I have been on the Linen site a lot over the last few days, going through the 1/285th and 1/288th planes. Just about anything or everything I could want is being manufactured.

Similar Missions

1. General Changes in Shapeways Materials
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-2018, 22:02
  2. Model aircraft covering materials
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 07:17
  3. Model reference materials
    By berthier in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10