Ares Games

Thread: SANTA’S SACK!!!

Default SANTA’S SACK!!!

So now that Santa has emptied his sack across the land, what nice toys ( or other stuff) did the jolly red wearing gent bring you all?....

I will add my pressies once I can log onto my laptop and share the images.... very grown up toys this year.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

We decided to not get presents this year. What we did do was spend money on baking Christmas goodies and shipping them to family and friends. Also, we actually planned (and held) a Christmas dinner for immediate and local double-vaccinated family.

In addition to that, any extra money we would have spent on gifts was contributed to the local Salvation Army Christmas Hamper program, and to the local food bank.

I ran across a quote that I passed around to family and friends this year:

My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others.
    Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that.

- Comedian Bob Hope
    So, my present to myself and others was food and friendship.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Wow... that is truly admirable, and humbling.

Very noble Mike.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice, Mike.

I also gave this year, to help a mother with 2 children who lost their home in November.

Presents from my sisters: new bedsheets. Very practical.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'm sorry for the above post, if it keeps others from posting their new-found treasures. I've had a rough year isolating, and watching a lot of people, near and far, have it even rougher.

But Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace and joy. However you find that in your lives. If giving and receiving gifts is part of that joy, please share with us.

Oh! I seemed to have forgotten that Shane [SkyGuy001] gifted me a copy of Richthofen's War this year, and I've played it twice. Maybe because I played with it before Christmas Day, I gapped that. More than one person has enjoyed that gift, already.

Link: Avalon Hill's Richthofen's War - Post # 43
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quiet Christmas on the presents & hobby front for me this year - got a book on Burma '44 where my dad served in WW2, got an 'Old Fokker' T and some cash for a model of my choice. More present giving later today when my son arrives with the grandbabies.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

SWMBO got me a new Ipad and a helicopter trip over London
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I'm sorry for the above post, if it keeps others from posting their new-found treasures. I've had a rough year isolating, and watching a lot of people, near and far, have it even rougher.

But Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace and joy. However you find that in your lives. If giving and receiving gifts is part of that joy, please share with us.

Oh! I seemed to have forgotten that Shane [SkyGuy001] gifted me a copy of Richthofen's War this year, and I've played it twice. Maybe because I played with it before Christmas Day, I gapped that. More than one person has enjoyed that gift, already.

Link: Avalon Hill's Richthofen's War - Post # 43
    Don’t apologise, shows that the true spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

My wife and kids clubbed together and bought me a new mountain bike, just waiting for the weather to improve so I can go out and risk life and limb. Oh my wife also bought me a new power drill (ahead of my son’s impending move to a new house, lol)

I have been extremely fortunate

I was kindly given Flight of the Giants and Crossfire to expand my card collection. I'm still resisting miniatures. First game we played, my camel was the first aircraft shot down... Those giants are tough!

Name:  IMG_20211227_203352539.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  67.8 KB

I admire your dedication to using cards. A much cheaper way to enjoy our game. You have discovered the mission impossible aspect of the game which is shooting down those huge bombers.

Indeed! The best we have managed to do is to down one Zeppelin Staaken using two Bristol fighters and a camel.

I love using cards. For me one of the things that attracted me to the game is it's simplicity. Miniatures would detract from that, which is one reason for staying away from them. The other is financial...

I do not know whether you know this, Dom, but there are many aircraft cards designed by our members in the Files section available for free download.

Nice to see "Shop" sales put to good use!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I do not know whether you know this, Dom, but there are many aircraft cards designed by our members in the Files section available for free download.
    Yes I do! I have done quite a bit of printing already. I'm planning to get some properly printed from printer studio at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Nice to see "Shop" sales put to good use!
    Thanks to Flying Helmet for helping to source the goods...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    I love using cards. For me one of the things that attracted me to the game is it's simplicity. Miniatures would detract from that, which is one reason for staying away from them. The other is financial...
    An other advantage of using cards is that you can create whole squadrons without modelling effort.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2021, 10:10
  2. Snoopy & Santa... Seriously??
    By Biggles downunder in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-22-2021, 20:31
  3. Santa Came Early
    By Stumptonian in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2020, 18:47
  4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town - NORAD Santa Tracker