Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM Mission 1B: X Sqn Denies the Enemy, 11th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-BYM Mission 1B: X Sqn Denies the Enemy, 11th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-BYM Mission 1B: X Sqn Denies the Enemy, 11th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-gully_raker

Note: This is a memorial mission in memory of our late friend Gully Raker (Baz), who graciously provided us with this scenario as the first mission of our Bold Young Men OTT campaign. Rest in peace, Baz.

Something big was up. The higher ups were in a flap and all of the scout squadrons in the sector that included X Squadron, RNAS, were to seek out and destroy all enemy balloons and spotter planes relentlessly. The X squadron’s scout flight commander, FCdr Nigel Flashman, had taken the Canuck, FSL Al Smith and the Kiwi, FSL Tom Watson, on the morning and had come back empty handed. The unofficial 2-i-C for the flight, FSL Jock MacDonald, led the afternoon patrol with the two Aussies, FSL Bruce Dundee and FSL Baz Lanister, as his wingmen. It was a good ‘flight’. Bruce Dundee was the squadron’s leading ace and Baz seemed to have horseshoes coming out the yazoo. Jock was eager too as he was just shy of ace status - one more kill and he’d join the squadron’s bevy of aces – Flashman, Dundee and the perpetually recovering-from-his-injuries Jack Wilde.

The GAME

Ladies and Gentlemen and whoever else will be enjoying this spectacle of WWI combat in the air, welcome to today’s match.

Turn 1

From the traditional west side of the playing field, at altitude 6, we have three Sopwith Pups piloted by Bruce Dundee, Jock MacDonald and Baz Lanister playing for the Entente. This will be interesting. Bruce is one kill shy of double ace and Jock is one shy of ace status. These two chaps will no doubt come out aggressively but Jock’s Pup is armed with incendiary ammo and, by the rules, can only use this ammo on the balloon – so that’s his only chance for a kill. Baz is a late comer to the squadron but has been a strong player for the squadron. The flight commander, Nigel Flashman, deserves a lot of credit for taking a group of misfits and turning them into a top-notch scout flight in just a few months.

X squadron is flying rather nicely in formation – all three have started to climb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1B1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	310377

On the east side we have two Hun pilots from the jasta’s that has become known as the Hard Luck jasta – Ltn Kar Seitz and Fwbl Otto Marwitz. They’ll be flying the latest German aeroplane – the Albatros D.II. In the centre we have the object of the game – the Hun balloon with its two haple…er, observers.

Karl and Otto have decided to use the pincer move by coming in from opposite sides. They too have started to climb.

Name:	B1B2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	310378

The X squadron gets to the balloon first. All three open fire with dismal results – a single point of damage that resulted in a jammed machine gun. The RNAS boys will need to pick up their game if they want to win this one.

Name:	B1B3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	310379

Turn 2

On the north side of the balloon, Bruce the sniper has paired off against Otto. Both get in good shots but Otto does better. Bruce’s Sopwith has suffered an engine hit and Bruce will need to leave the playing field. It looks like Bruce will not make double-ace this match.

Name:	B1B4.jpg 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	310380

Ooooh! That was a close call but both pilots avoided a collision.

Name:	B1B5.jpg 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	310381

Otto has done an Immelmann turn and got the drop on Bruce with another good shot – several bullets into the cockpit and Bruce is injured – that’s got to hurt! With 9 points of damage, an engine hit and an injury Bruce may be lucky to make it back to the naval station.

Name:	B1B6.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	310382

On the south side, Jock continues to fire at the balloon. There’s a flame. The incendiary bullets have worked. Karl tries to intercept, but like Baz, only jams his machinegun. Baz, still trying to get his unjammed, can only look on.

Name:	B1B7.jpg 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	310383

Jock was so focused on the balloon he did not notice Karl’s Albatros. The two planes have collided, but it looks like Karl is the one that’s paid the price for Jock’s inattention.

Name:	B1B8.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	310384

Another close call – Jock’s nearly hit Baz. The fire on the balloon doesn’t seem to be growing – have the Huns doused their balloon with some kind of fire retardant? So far, the X squadron boys don’t seem to in the game today. Perhaps this game will be the one where we will see the Albatros demonstrate its abilities.

Name:	B1B9.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	310385

Turn 3

It looks like Bruce has given Otto slip. He just might make it off the field but even if he does he’ll still need to land his battered Pup. Jock is using the tight turning ability of his Pup to stick close to the Hun balloon. Karl and Baz have both used Immelmann turns to have a go at each other.

Name:	B1B10.jpg 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	310386

Karl and Baz have a respectable exchange. Nothing dramatic from either pilot though. Despite stick close to the balloon, Jock’s not done much to it, but the fire does seem to be flaring up. Otto now spots Jock and realizes he could have been in the ideal position to take Jock out of the game.

Name:	B1B11.jpg 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	310387

Turn 4

There’s that tight turning radius of the Pup. Jock gets another go at the balloon but the balloon is now at altitude 5 and it’s a long range shot for Jock.

Name:	B1B12.jpg 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	310388

What’s this? Baz has timed his Immelmann perfectly. A long range but will aimed shot has hit the vitals of Karl’s Albatros and, oh my, the Albatros has exploded. There a pieces of the aeroplane everywhere. Karl is out of the match, out for the campaign and probably out for the war and beyond. A salute, folks, to a gallant pilot. That evens up the game again with each side losing one aeroplane.

Name:	B1B13.jpg 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	310389

Jock is sticking with the balloon but again he’s not getting much for his effort and the fire just won’t take off.

Name:	B1B14.jpg 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	310390

Turn 5

Otto has decided to go clockwise around the balloon to meet Jock going the other way, but Baz had intercepted him. It’s a long shot but one well placed in the cockpit. Otto is signalling that its just a hand injury but that could still make it difficult to control his machine. Jock just dove down to altitude 5 - keeping pace with the balloon. If Baz can keep Otto at altitude 6, Jock will be free to focus on the balloon.

Name:	B1B15.jpg 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	310391

That was a good move on Jock’s part. Finally he’s getting some reward for his efforts. Some good damage and another fire started.

Name:	B1B16.jpg 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	310392

Although it does look like whatever the Hun’s have done to their balloons it seems to be working – the fires are still contained to a small area of the balloon. If the ground crew can get the balloon down in time they should be able to douse the flames.

Name:	B1B17.jpg 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	310393

Turn 6

The balloon is now down to altitude 4. Jock gets a chance for another shot, but again its at long range and Jock will need to descend.

Name:	B1B18.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	310394

Jock is persistent – another shot starts a third fire, but what one can only assume is some new kind of fire retardant is keeping those fire a ‘respectable’ size.

Name:	B1B19.jpg 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	310395

Turn 7

Jock has descended to altitude 4 and in a good position to do major damage to the balloon but for nought. One has to wonder if Jock is having trouble with his machinegun or the incendiary bullets.

Name:	B1B20.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	310396

On the other side of the balloon, Baz has got onto the tail of Otto. Otto could be in trouble.

Name:	B1B21.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	310397

Otto is having trouble shaking Baz. He is in trouble.

Name:	B1B22.jpg 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	310398

Three fires but the balloon just doesn’t care – only 2 points of damage for all three fires.

Name:	B1B23.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	310399

Turn 8

The balloon is now at altitude 3. Jock will need to follow but he does manage to start a fourth fire. Baz continues to dog Otto – whittling away at Otto’s Albatros.

Name:	B1B24.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	310400

With an Immelman, Otto’s turned on his adversary but can’t get a shot off due to his injury. Baz, on the other hand, delivers the coup de grace and Otto is finished. His Albatros plummets straight down and buries into the ground. It looks like Otto’s fate will be similar to Karl’s. But what a performance by Baz – two kills bringing him to a career total of four kills. One more and he’ll join the ace ranks of the squadron.

Name:	B1B25.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	310401

Jock must be fuming now – as the balloon hasn’t been. A final dive and Jock gets a perfect shot in and the balloon explodes. That explosion rocks the Pup. It could have been dangerous for the Scotsman but it looks like he’s come through his 2nd close call well enough.

Name:	B1B26.jpg 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	310402

Well that’s game over with a win for the Entente side. A good outing for the X Squadron boys. They were a bit shaky at the start but Jock and Baz got the job done. As for the Hard Luck Jasta – it continues to live up (or down) to its unfortunate reputation.

Seadog Score
    Balloon destroyed = 20 points
    Two scouts shot down = 2 X 10 points = 20 points
    Total = 40 points

Hun Score
    One scout FRTB = 1 X 5 points = 5 points

Seadog Score
    Balloon destroyed = 20 points
    Two scouts shot down = 2 X 10 points = 20 points
    Total = 40 points

Hun Score
    One scout FRTB = 1 X 5 points = 5 points

Seadog Victory

Note: I was really pleased that my ‘Baz’ pilot got two kills on this memorial mission. I hope that, Baz looking down on the game, would be pleased too.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 01-05-2022 at 12:29.

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs
    FSL Jock MacDonald - Pup (Blue Rondels) / RTB 1 kill (balloon)

Name:	B1BBRJock.jpg 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	310405

FSL Bruce Dundee - Pup (Light Blue) / FRTB-E&W / WIA / 0 kills
    FRTB Crash Landing = 2, 4; Safe
    C&W = 7 -1 WIA + 1 RTB = 7 (Injured); Injury Roll = 4 (Skip 2)

Name:	B1BBRBruce.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	310404

FSL Baz Lanister - Pup (Dk Blue) / RTB 2 Kills

Name:	B1BBRBaz.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	310403

The Adlers
    Ltn Karl Seitz - Yellow Albatross DII / EXP-FT 0 kills
    C&W = 4 - 3 EXP = 1 Dead

Name:	B1BDEKarl.jpg 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	310407

Fwbl Otto Marwitz - Brown Albatros DII / SD-FT / WIA / 0 kills - 1 probable
    C&W = 4 - 1 SD - 1 WIA = 2 Dead

Name:	B1BDEOtto.jpg 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	310408

Observation Balloon / SB FT / - / -

Name:	B1BDEBalloon.jpg 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	310406
    Last edited by flash; 01-06-2022 at 02:34. Reason: Tally adjust

Good to see a second extra mission - well done the Seadogs but those Eagles flew like Muppets and deserved what they got.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, another sausage pricked & grilled, they can't have many left now ! Those Huns sent to protect them are easy meat, though Bruce will have to wait a while to double his score, but we have much to celebrate, he made it back OK and the other chaps made ace.
    FsLt Donald 'Jock' MacDonald is awarded the Military Cross for his fifth kill as well as Croix de Guerre with bronze palm from our grateful allies
    Last edited by flash; 01-07-2022 at 00:17. Reason: adjust awards

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Good to see a second extra mission - well done the Seadogs but those Eagles flew like Muppets and deserved what they got.

Uncle says:
    Well done chaps, another sausage pricked & grilled, they can't have many left now ! Those Huns sent to protect them are easy meat, though Bruce will have to wait a while to double his score, but we have much to celebrate, he made it back OK and the other chaps made ace.
    FsLt Donald 'Jock' MacDonald & FsLt Barry 'Baz' Lanister are each awarded the Military Cross for their fifth kills as well as Croix de Guerre with bronze palm from our grateful allies
    To be fair to the Muppet Otto, he was too close to the mat edge to turn about with an Immelmann which meant he had to use turns which allowed Baz to get on his tail. Otherwise he had done well enough against Bruce. 'He' being the AI charts, of course. Generally I'm finding the maneuverability of the Pups with their D* deck makes them a formidable foe for the Albatros DII despite the DII's A firing and extra damage it can sustain. Those sharp turns in either direction are often just that extra bit that allows the Pup to get in a close shot on passing.

Note that Baz should only have 4 kills. The roster shows a kill for Baz on Mission 4, but he should have none. My mistake! During the game I wrongly assessed collisions which I only sorted out after the game, but it did mean that during the game I thought Baz had shot down Karl Seitz. He might have if the game had continued but I thought it was done and packed up. I realized my error when going through the mission photos. I corrected the Butcher's Bill photos but forgot to delete the '1 Kill' on Baz's photo. The tally is correct though. Pity but Baz will need to wait for another mission to become an ace.

Link to my write up of mission 4: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-ShadowDragon

I'm glad that I managed to get this mission done with no errors (or none I spotted) in playing the game, annotating the photos, writing up the mission and doing the tally. That's something that seems to have eluded me of late. I'm a bit concerned about the next mission with 9 planes plus a balloon on the table. That will be a challenge as six planes seems to be my maximum for managing a game without numerous errors.

Dave, I've just noticed that, from mission 4 onwards, my squadron's kills aren't included in the Bulldog totals on the roster. The formula is "=sum(X3:X113)" for missions 1 to 3 but "=sum(AB4:AB83)" for missions 4 to 12. Hopefully that's just a clerical error and not a punishment for a misdemeanor.

Nice one, Paul, and a fitting tribute to our fellow flier, Baz.

I won't have a chance to fly a second version of Barry's final scenario, but hope to tackle Paul's mission in the next week or two.

Now, about those Butcher's Tally dice you are using for our Adler ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice one, Paul, and a fitting tribute to our fellow flier, Baz.

I won't have a chance to fly a second version of Barry's final scenario, but hope to tackle Paul's mission in the next week or two.

Now, about those Butcher's Tally dice you are using for our Adler ....
    I think I will try switching dice for the Adlers next outing. Mind you, they could avoid the Tally dice by not getting shot down.

Maybe I should fly one of the Adler planes in the next game.

Nice AAR and some super photos to go with it. Looks like the Seadogs have the measure of their opponents. Rep to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    To be fair to the Muppet Otto, he was too close to the mat edge to turn about with an Immelmann which meant he had to use turns which allowed Baz to get on his tail..
    Seeing his mate get the chop, not turning in and then flying across the nose of his enemy is what I'm seeing. You must be using the same dice for manoeuvres as you do for their C/W rolls..

Dave, I've just noticed that, from mission 4 onwards, my squadron's kills aren't included in the Bulldog totals on the roster. The formula is "=sum(X3:X113)" for missions 1 to 3 but "=sum(AB4:AB83)" for missions 4 to 12. Hopefully that's just a clerical error and not a punishment for a misdemeanor.
    Clerical error of course Hopefully straightened out now but it happens frequently as I chop the rosters about, I just don't always remember to fix them.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Well done on getting this done, thought the Adlers would have the advantage after seeing off Bruce early for little damage. The Albatri are not showing their dominance as they should especially when they were 2 on 2 with one scout concentrating on the balloon. ‘Fireproofing’ propaganda, just bad shooting by the Bulldogs!!
    Terrible dice rolls mean another two Eagle pilots join the Kia list. Uncle may well be pleased but I think it may still turn with some luckier rolling.
    I salute our fallen heroes and look forward to seeing the English in the air again. Getting more difficul5 as the fliers progress to their Ace level.

Good story and planes, got to love those sitting targets, I mean balloons!

Need to unjam REP guns

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Seeing his mate get the chop, not turning in and then flying across the nose of his enemy is what I'm seeing. You must be using the same dice for manoeuvres as you do for their C/W rolls..
    It's more likely it's me, reading off the wrong line of the charts, than it being the fault of the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Well done on getting this done, thought the Adlers would have the advantage after seeing off Bruce early for little damage. The Albatri are not showing their dominance as they should especially when they were 2 on 2 with one scout concentrating on the balloon.
    Thanks, Barrie. The 'boom' card evened the match to a 1 on on 1 - Otto vs Baz - but the advantage was with Baz due to his inherent 'lucky git' skill and the Pup's manoeuvrability. After enough games with the Pup vs Albatros DII it seems to me to be a fair match up.

Thanks, Barrie. The 'boom' card evened the match to a 1 on on 1 - Otto vs Baz - but the advantage was with Baz due to his inherent 'lucky git' skill and the Pup's manoeuvrability. After enough games with the Pup vs Albatros DII it seems to me to be a fair match up.
    Yes, does look even, i have 3 pups ready to introduce into December missions so should be interesting. Enjoying throwing the older machines in at the moment as most were withdrawn Nov/Dec in any case and I didn’t get a chance to use them in earlier campaigns

An unusual and entertaining take on writing an AAR. for originality. I agree about having 9 planes plus a balloon on the table at one time, things might get a little chaotic in the next game.

Your Pups are flying as well as they look, maybe if you painted the enemy planes to such a high standard they would fly better. Or then again - maybe not.

I see why you don't do name tags for your pilots' the German ones don't seem to stay around for long.

Cheers

Sorry Rep gun empty

Always great to see those naval Pups in action. Nice AAR, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    An unusual and entertaining take on writing an AAR. for originality. I agree about having 9 planes plus a balloon on the table at one time, things might get a little chaotic in the next game.

Your Pups are flying as well as they look, maybe if you painted the enemy planes to such a high standard they would fly better. Or then again - maybe not.

I see why you don't do name tags for your pilots' the German ones don't seem to stay around for long.

Cheers

Sorry Rep gun empty
    There's only so much storyline milage one can get from two old geezers telling war tales - besides both Jack and Bruce were laid up with injuries.

Yeah, if I did pics of the pilots for the Alders I'd be recycling them by now.

I've got a couple of Shapeways Albatros to paint up - will try to get them done for mission 6.

And...the rep gun problem has become a bit of a headache. Too bad the WoG site isn't as liberal as the SoG about needing to cycle around for reps.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Always great to see those naval Pups in action. Nice AAR, Paul
    Thanks, Chris

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-02-2022, 09:38
  2. AAR OTT-BYM Mission 1--Dusty denies the Enemy-5th Oct 1916--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 07:21
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 06:46