Ares Games

Thread: OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Tikkifriend

Default OTTBYM Mission 6 - Somme Success - 12th November 1916 by Tikkifriend

(Title a nod to Peter Hart)

Sept 15th saw the first full use of tanks in the Battle of the Somme . The RFC was tasked with as Trenchard put it prevent all German machines from getting close enough to the lines to observe this new weapon. They were to be shot down on sight and given no rest.

The Bulldogs sector had the additional problem of an observation balloon close to the front.

The mission is therefore in 2 parts.

A single plane armed with rockets is to destroy, or force to the ground the Observation balloon.

The remaining scouts are to engage all enemy planes ensuring they get no closer than 1.5 rulers from the British lines .

Forces

RFC

1 rocket carrying scout plus 4 other scouts of your choosing.

CP
    1 2 seater circling the balloon.

This plane can join the reserve flight when it arrives .4 scouts of your choice on standby plus a balloon at alt 7.

Set up and objectives:
    2 mats - 1 being a NML /Trenches from which the RFC will fly and located to the West .

CP
    The Balloon is placed 1 ruler from the German edge of the mat and approximately central. The cover scout is placed at random 2 rules from the blimps centre peg at between alt4-6 , your choice.

The Balloon will start to wind down when the first rocket is fired. Rate of decent 1 Peg per turn(3 cards).

The reserve scouts will enter when the Balloon has reached peg 4 from the German long mat side in line abreast ˝ ruler between each plane. Their objective is to get within 1.5 rulers of the NML mat edge.. Should any of the planes succeed in this objective the immediately head for their lines to report the tank movement

RFC

The balloon buster starts at the centre where the 2 mats join. Should he destroy the balloon before it reaches 5 peg he is deemed to have prevented the tanks being spotted .

For each peg up to peg 3 after that a roll of 5/6 means the observer spots the tanks. Below 3 the balloon is blind. The balloon buster cannot engage the reserve scouts . If he succeeds to destroy the blimp its home for tea and crumpet via the fastest route available.

The rest of the scouts enter from the Allied edge of the mat ie NML 3 turns after the first rockets are fired . They cannot attack the balloon , their mission is to prevent the CP scouts getting within 1.5 rulers of the NM mat long edge

VP

RFC
    Balloon fails to spot Tanks 5pts

Balloon destroyed 10pts

Each scout shot down ,FTR before reaching the 1.5 ruler 5pts
    Each scout shot down ,FTR after reaching the 1.5 ruler 2pts

CP.
    Balloon spots the Tanks 5pts

Each enemy plane shot down 5pts

Each plane that spots the tanks and returns to 1.5 rulers of their mat edge 10 pts

AMENDMENTS If the balloon is destroyed the CP planes arrive the 1 full turn after.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 01-22-2022 at 06:29. Reason: Amendment

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

This is an early posting as I will not be anywhere near a computer in the days following Jan 1 so apologies for that and my tardiness in getting the AARs out or the previous missions. Wishing you all a Bonne Annee and a Covid safe 2022.

Ps recommend the Peter Hart book

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    This is an early posting as I will not be anywhere near a computer in the days following Jan 1 so apologies for that and my tardiness in getting the AARs out or the previous missions. Wishing you all a Bonne Annee and a Covid safe 2022.

Ps recommend the Peter Hart book
    Yep, certainly is a great read - matched (IMHO) by ‘Gallipoli Air War’ by Hugh Dolan.

Thanks Paul - I have added it to the campaign scenarios thread with a couple of corrections to clarify things.
    I ran out of time to replay Barry's scenario 1 dated 11th Nov but it would tie in nicely with this mission - the Hun's have got another sausage up ! - so I may do a double header if I can find time.
    Last edited by flash; 12-28-2021 at 02:45.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

It's going to be a crowded space if everyone gets to the bun fight on time.

Paul sorry it's a bit early in the morning for me and so maybe not firing on all 4 cylinders but could you confirm that I have the balloon details right.
    Level 7 & 6 it can't spot or at least report the tanks.
    Level 5, 4 & 3 it can spot the tanks but only on a dice roll of 5 or 6.
    Level 2 & 1 it can't spot the tanks.

Also
    The German scout's objective is to spot the tanks, do you envisage that when they are attacked by the British scouts they will engage in combat or continue flying straight towards the British lines as their priority?

Dave casualties have been heavy in C Flight and I only have 3 scout pilots avaiable to fly but I'm still intending flying Barry's mission 1/5a first so may have less than 3 when I get to this. Presumably I need to recruit at least another 2 reprobates for this mission?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dave casualties have been heavy in C Flight and I only have 3 scout pilots available to fly but I'm still intending flying Barry's mission 1B first so may have less than 3 when I get to this. Presumably I need to recruit at least another 2 reprobates for this mission?
    Yes, you will have to send me some names to cover your needs when you know what they are John. Uncle may have to lift the grounding on Vagabond for mission 6 to ensure you have enough !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yes, you will have to send me some names to cover your needs when you know what they are John. Uncle may have to lift the grounding on Vagabond for mission 6 to ensure you have enough !
    Cheers Dave, I'm just about to fly 5A and thought I would use my Tandem crews for the mission to save any further losses in the ranks of the scout pilots, the Tandems seem to have been lounging around the mess, getting bored and drinking too much and so they could do with some exercise.
    I'll use a pair of FE2b's for the dogfighting and a Strutter with standard rounds in the Observers gun and Incendiaries in the Pilots gun, so it shouldn't change the balance of the game by much.

I'm still going to be 2 scouts down for Mission 6 but I have chaps lining up to fly with C Flight don't you know, although I'm worried that it's because they've heard about our poteen distilling skills rather than our flying skills.

Well tandem's will put a different take on it but it's an extra so have at it ! It's mission 1B by the way, not 5A, dated 11th November '16 ie the day before Mission 6.
    PM me with your new reprobates once they have passed selection !

It's going to be a crowded space if everyone gets to the bun fight on time.

Paul sorry it's a bit early in the morning for me and so maybe not firing on all 4 cylinders but could you confirm that I have the balloon details right.
    Level 7 & 6 it can't spot or at least report the tanks.
    Level 5, 4 & 3 it can spot the tanks but only on a dice roll of 5 or 6.
    Level 2 & 1 it can't spot the tanks.

Also
    The German scout's objective is to spot the tanks, do you envisage that when they are attacked by the British scouts they will engage in combat or continue flying straight towards the British lines as their priority?

Dave casualties have been heavy in C Flight and I only have 3 scout pilots avaiable to fly but I'm still intending flying Barry's mission 1/5a first so may have less than 3 when I get to this. Presumably I need to recruit at least another 2 reprobates for this mission?

Cheers
    You got it John. The idea being that the early morning clould obscures the view from levels 67 and 6 . If the balloon get below thae clouds it stands a chance of spotting the Tanks.

Now this is a tricky one . I kinda left it to the players to choose what to do, but my thoughts were if Tanks were spotted by the balloon a flare might go up and the scouts would be out there to look for the tanks. Other wise its up to you how you approach the game.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 01-04-2022 at 10:26.

You got it John. The idea being that the early morning clould obscures the view from levels 67 and 6 . If the balloon get below thae clouds it stands a chance of spotting the Tanks.

Now this is a tricky one . I kinda left it to the players to choose what to do, but my thoughts were if Tanks were spotted by the balloon a flare might go up and the scouts would be out there to look for the tanks. Other wise its up to you how you approach the game.
    Thanks Paul I'm happy with that. To be honest when I read through the scenario I thought it would be a bit of a whitewash for the Germans because I expect the scouts to spot the tanks. There's too many of them to stop them all but I've re-read your victory conditions and think it will be much closer. I've never used rockets so don't know how effective they are, but my lot will probably just fly straight into the balloon and blow it up.
    That's 10 pts to me and 5 to them.

Thanks Paul I'm happy with that. To be honest when I read through the scenario I thought it would be a bit of a whitewash for the Germans because I expect the scouts to spot the tanks. There's too many of them to stop them all but I've re-read your victory conditions and think it will be much closer. I've never used rockets so don't know how effective they are, but my lot will probably just fly straight into the balloon and blow it up.
    That's 10 pts to me and 5 to them.
    Play it anyway you want John thats the fun of the scenarios
    I thought that a couple of good D damage hits from the rockets would dust off that balloon problem and then some Spads to run down the Hun scouts should they get a peek at the tanks.

Got the rules for rockets John ?

Play it anyway you want John thats the fun of the scenarios
    I thought that a couple of good D damage hits from the rockets would dust off that balloon problem and then some Spads to run down the Hun scouts should they get a peek at the tanks.

Got the rules for rockets John ?
    Spads !!! my guys are still flying Fe2B's with the occasional Nieuport thrown in, we don't chase Huns, we wait until they come to us, it's more sporting.

Rockets !! I assumed they would be in the main rules, if not No I don't have them.
    I'll look.
    Cheers

Under Special Weapons John p35 of the RAP (2014).

Once they are at an appropriate level, how often can the German observers roll to spot the tanks?

Once per Phase?
    Once per Turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Once they are at an appropriate level, how often can the German observers roll to spot the tanks?

Once per Phase?
    Once per Turn?

Once per turn

Once per turn
    Thanks, Paul.
    That's what I was going to use.

Heading downstairs to start it in a few .....

Does the German 2-seater count when as a "scout" for assessing points for German "scouts" shot down or FRTB?

Normally a 2-seater isn't referred to as a "scout", so the section in the points about "each scout shot down, FTR..." wouldn't seem to apply to the 2-seater.

Each scout shot down ,FTR before reaching the 1.5 ruler 5pts
    Each scout shot down ,FTR after reaching the 1.5 ruler 2pts

The section for the German points doesn't mention "scout" but "plane" - section repeated below.

Each plane that spots the tanks and returns to 1.5 rulers of their mat edge 10 pts

However, earlier the 2-seater is referred to as a "cover scout".

It only matters for the points - it's that close.

There were several vague and misleading references in the briefing.

I didn't see the 2-Seater getting any points so I had mine exit once the balloon was shot down.

If you sent yours down to the British lines, spotted the tanks and returned I think you could claim 10 points because the wording says "each plane that spots the tanks ...."
    Similarly, if the 2-Seater went to the British end and was shot down or FRTB the Entente could claim points.

AsPete says the 2 seater is there to protecy the balloon only. When the balloon is grounded or destroyed the N16 and 2 seater can fight it out amongst themselves with the N16 trying to exit the mats.
    Its each plane that spots the tanks that is worth 10pts. Any scout that doesnt spot the tanks and is shot down, FTR is worth the appropriate points

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Does the German 2-seater count when as a "scout" for assessing points for German "scouts" shot down or FRTB?
    ...However, earlier the 2-seater is referred to as a "cover scout"....
    Uncle found that confusing too so changed it in the saved version to 'covering tandem'.

The tandem, it suggests in the scenario, can join the reserve flight when it arrives, so that may be the reason the CP VP's mention plane rather than scout ?
    1 2 seater circling the balloon. This plane can join the reserve flight when it arrives.
    I'm with Pete on this though - if you sent the tandem in with the reserve flight on the spotting task then the points should be counted either way. Uncles will mark it so.
    Last edited by flash; 01-26-2022 at 02:19.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Uncle found that confusing too so changed it in the saved version to 'covering tandem'.

The tandem, it suggests in the scenario, can join the reserve flight when it arrives, so that may be the reason the CP VP's mention plane rather than scout ?

I'm with Pete on this though - if you sent the tandem in with the reserve flight on the spotting task then the points should be counted either way. Uncles will mark it so.
    Thanks, Dave. It's a tough one for the RFC in terms of VP.

The Germans can get a maximum of 80 points: 5 pts (balloon spots tanks), 5 X 5 = 25 points (up to 5 RFC planes shot down including N16), 5 X 10 = 50 points (for planes, including tandem, that get within 1.5 rulers and return to their side)
    The RFC can get a maximum of 40 points: 5 pts (balloon doesn't spot tank), 10 pts (balloon destroyed), 5 X 5 = 25 (5 planes, including tandem)

If the tandem doesn't join the reserve scouts, it will be a maximum of 70 points for the Germans and 35 points for the RFC as the tandem won't be factored in.

I'm happy that my boys eked out a victory with a margin of 2 VP, but only because the Hun tandem collided with one of their own and promptly exploded. So much for the tandem trying to help.

Thanks, Dave. It's a tough one for the RFC in terms of VP...
    Agreed, I thought it very one sided - the Eagles don't even have to get off the table to get their points. I think Paul may have Teutonic leanings !
    Hope to get to this one by weeks end via 1B extra mish.
    Last edited by flash; 01-26-2022 at 08:53.

Thanks, Dave. It's a tough one for the RFC in terms of VP.

The Germans can get a maximum of 80 points: 5 pts (balloon spots tanks), 5 X 5 = 25 points (up to 5 RFC planes shot down including N16), 5 X 10 = 50 points (for planes, including tandem, that get within 1.5 rulers and return to their side)
    The RFC can get a maximum of 40 points: 5 pts (balloon doesn't spot tank), 10 pts (balloon destroyed), 5 X 5 = 25 (5 planes, including tandem)

If the tandem doesn't join the reserve scouts, it will be a maximum of 70 points for the Germans and 35 points for the RFC as the tandem won't be factored in.

I'm happy that my boys eked out a victory with a margin of 2 VP, but only because the Hun tandem collided with one of their own and promptly exploded. So much for the tandem trying to help.
    Thats aways assuming that ...
    1 The balloon survives the rocket attack , given there are 2 boom cards in the D damage pack.
    2 The RFC fail to get the German planes that spotted the tanks on the way back to their lines. Its a fair haul after turning round to head for home and if you place your RFC scouts correctly you have a running battle always on their tails.
    3 You dont get lucky on your card draw

Hope you all have fun.

Hope to get into this one tomorrow, finished 1B today but yet to write it up.
    If the balloon survives the rocket attack and spots the tanks is that game over ...?

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-13-2021, 00:50
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2021, 09:37
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-31-2021, 15:24
  4. WGFC: Somme Success
    By Mike W in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 00:38