Ares Games

Thread: 3D printed

Default 3D printed

Colorized 3D print...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aircraft 044.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	310020 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aircraft 042 (2).jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	310021 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aircraft 043 (2).jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	310022

Thanks for posting the pictures! If you find the wings are not 100% straight, a little heat will fix that. PM me if you haven't seen the details on that elsewhere.

The wings look good, I suspect it the camera angel...

Looks really good! Thanks for sharing! Waiting for my recent order to show up.

Here are mine. ReducedAirFactory off Etsy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211218_154445.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	310060

Name:	20211218_154302.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	310061

Mine's a bit more bendy than that - hope to fix it tomorrow.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hmmmm ..... not good to see those droopy wings after you spent a fortune on the planes. Methinks it will be a long time before I buy one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hmmmm ..... not good to see those droopy wings after you spent a fortune on the planes. Methinks it will be a long time before I buy one of those.
    Fortunately, the droopy wings are easily fixed with a little heat. Here's my boilerplate text on it:

Sometimes with Shapeways Versatile Plastic material -- and frequently with Full-Color High Definition plastic -- the models will arrive with some bending of the parts. For instance, a wing that is supposed to be straight will be bent somewhat downward. This may be an artifact of the printing process, but sometimes the models have been packed too tightly for shipping.

This can frequently be fixed by heating up the model in hot water or with a blow dryer or heat gun. Of course, please take precautions such as wearing gloves and using tools when attempting this. I would guess you are aiming for something between 50°C/120°F and 60°C/140°F. Start with cooler water and heat it further if the model is not pliable enough. Be sure not to exceed the actual melting point of the plastic, which is 80°C/176°F for Versatile Plastic. You can heat up water in a microwave or oven and use a candy or meat thermometer to measure its temperature.

Sometimes the plane will straighten out on its own once it is heated; sometimes you need to apply some gentle pressure. (Again, please use precautions to avoid burns such as using tweezers.)

If the model is unrecoverable, you can contact support@shapeways.com and send them the order number, a picture, and a description. (Or I can do it on your behalf.) They have a 100% guarantee and they are very good about reprinting models when necessary.

So far my test prints have been a breeze to fix with the blow-dryer method.

Here it is dressed up for the game... I'm going to change the base once I get a post adapter.

Name:	DSCF2864hhh.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	310073

I used hot spicket water (hit by cold water once the wings were straight) to soften up and straighten the wings up a bit; it worked great, was easy to do and model safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Mine wasn't too bad; I used hot tap water and it works great, easy to do and is model safe. Hit it with cold water once you get the wings straight.

Jerry

Done with elevation dial and damage markers shown....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aircraft 009 (2).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	310148

Excellent job guys

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. WGF 3D printed bases
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2021, 00:42