Ares Games

Thread: Wounded pilot Immelman

Default Wounded pilot Immelman

During our game the other night I wounded an opposing scout pilot. He then did an Immelmann turn and ended up almost touching my 6. He went to shoot me but I said that he could not fire during the Immelmann sequence of all three cards as per page 11 of the RAP because of his wound status. That meant I got away (and shot him down as I was in a 2 seater). Did I get that rule right or does the rule just apply to the one reversal card of the three?

It's just the one 'reversal' card, not the "straights" before and after.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

If I recall the rule correctly, wounded pilots are not allowed to shoot on difficult maneuvers or Immelmanns. So, what Tim says above is what I use. The Immelmann doesn't have a difficult maneuver symbol on the card, but it is mentioned specifically in the rule. It makes sense to me that someone who is wounded needs more concentration and effort to perform the maneuvers, without complicating them with attempting to aim and shoot, as well.

The straight before the Immelmann card and the card after the Immelmann (if the pilot has the Acrobat skill, he can play any maneuver card, not only a straight), should be OK for the wounded pilot to shoot.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    During our game the other night I wounded an opposing scout pilot. He then did an Immelmann turn and ended up almost touching my 6. He went to shoot me but I said that he could not fire during the Immelmann sequence of all three cards as per page 11 of the RAP because of his wound status. That meant I got away (and shot him down as I was in a 2 seater). Did I get that rule right or does the rule just apply to the one reversal card of the three?
    The translation is a bit woolly, they probably could have included the word 'card' for clarity but the rules do specify it as 'the phase' in which a steep or Immelmann turn is executed and Immelmann turn is defined on page 7. They didn't really need to specify anything else as climbs & dives (not mentioned) are steep and the split-S uses the Immelmann card.
    So Gary, you were right in that he couldn't shoot you from the Immelmann turn but he could have shot you from the following straight if able.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Wounded pilot and landings
    By Baxter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2021, 15:31
  2. Multi Pilot Wounded
    By Future Pilot in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-01-2018, 03:28
  3. wounded pilot plotting
    By Teaticket in forum WGS: General Discussions