Ares Games

Thread: Multi-Game System Mission - Wings of Glory + Bolt Action

Default Multi-Game System Mission - Wings of Glory + Bolt Action

Having been playing both Wings of Glory and Bolt Action for some time, I had wanted to set up a scenario in the air, and fight it out on the ground. Having also been a long time student of American airborne operations in WWII, specifically the Glider Infantry, how many of my interests could I pack into the same sausage, as it were? It was a great chance to field test both my homebrewed Glider rules (Look here for files: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2596 ) and our ability to translate a landing into a ground battle. The relative success or failure of Allied forces to safely land those gliders would affect the forces available, and starting conditions, of the Bolt Action scenario that followed. For the Air portion, go here: https://theatomfurnace.blogspot.com/...lory-bolt.html. For the ground portion, go here: https://theatomfurnace.blogspot.com/...ry-bolt_5.html.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	309914

Name:	IMG_03.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	309915

Name:	IMG_05.jpg 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	309916

Name:	IMG_06.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	309917

Name:	IMG_08.jpg 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	309918

Name:	IMG_13.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	309919

Although the ultimate outcome is still in doubt, a number of lessons have been learned.
    As a Wings of Glory scenario, it will not please players eager for lot of air combat; it is not air-to-air focused, the glider landing mechanics more similar to slow motion bombing. The Axis needs luck, strategy, and a good eye for AA to be successful. And can afford to be reckless, as losses in this phase have no effect on the second. I may consider allowing Allied air to attrit the German forces by strafing the Troop concentrations. The Allies had a near flawless delivery to the LZ yet still landed with a point deficit and a lack of significant anti-armor capability. I may consider starting with a higher Allied point total to help compensate. Feel free to provide your own insights, either tactically or game-mechanics. Enjoy, we did!

Great idea and nice game.

Nice action with gliders.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Excellent!

Nice use of other games. I sometimes use things in our games for something different too. I like the WoW Hex decks in the files section, so I made a transparent hex overlay for our WoG mats. I am thinking of extending the gun range out to 4 hexes rather than 3 though. I have a 3 hex Zeppelin that works quite well.

Similar Missions

1. Point system for Wings of Glory
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 610
    Last Post: 09-15-2023, 09:27
  2. Bolt Action before this mess began.....
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2020, 14:03
  3. Bolt Action at Toy Wiz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2019, 00:12
  4. Bolt Action D-Day in July 2019
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2019, 07:22
  5. Bolt Action D-Day in July