Ares Games

Thread: BYM Mission 5 - Only if You Really Help, 5th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default BYM Mission 5 - Only if You Really Help, 5th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-BYM Mission 5: Only if You Really Help, 5th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...6-by-teaticket

Jack Wilde and Bruce Dundee sat back in their lounge chairs sipping tea – or whatever was in their tea cups. A third man, Baz Lanister, had his head buried under the cowling of one of Koala Bush Pilot ‘Airlines’ planes.

“Say, if either of you gents want to lend a hand, it would be much appreciated”, Baz called out,

“Nah, we’re good with supervising. Besides that was your fancy flying that caused the problem. Lucky for you and for your passengers you survived”, Jack replied.

“Well, Baz is the exception to the rule of bold pilots and old pilots but no old, bold pilots. Say, Jack, did I ever tell you about the stunt Baz pulled with a Frenchie Voisin back in the war?”

“Can’t say you did.”

“Harrumph”, replied Baz.

“It was when you were convalescing from that slight knock on the head. Seems to me that you were probably kept in hospital longer than needed as a punishment for trying to take a swipe at Fergis – er, Major Fergis O’Neil. Well, it was either that time or another time you were on leave for being banged up.”

The scene fades to the 5th of November,1916.

Flight Commander Nigel Flashman was on patrol with the two Aussies in X Squadron’s scout flight when they spotted a French Voisin circling and circling and circling. As they headed over to check it out, a pair of Hun Albatri showed up off their port side. They too were curious about the strange behaviour of the Voisin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM0501.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	309812

The two Huns weren’t the only enemy – another Albatros was ahead and to starboard. Flashman didn’t know what was the Voisin’s problem but clearly the Albatri had added to it. He signalled to Baz to take on the Hun to starboard while he and Bruce would intercept the portside ones.

Name:	BYM0502.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	309813

Bruce and the Hun in Albatros with the brownish-red fuselage were the first to engage. The Hun, Feldwebel Hans Schobinge, misjudged and shot wide while Bruce, the sniper, did serious damage on the Albatros.

Name:	BYM0503.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	309814

Shortly, Flashman and the other Hun, Feldwebel Hans Anslinger, joined the fray. Both Flashman and Hans A did little damage with their deflection shots. Bruce, on the other hand, was doing well. A bullet found a vital spot on the Albatros, which didn’t much appreciate it and promptly exploded – much to the chagrin of the Huns and delight of the Seadogs.

Name:	BYM0504.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	309815

On the other side of the circling Voisin, Baz came to grips with the all-CDL Albatros, piloted by Leutnant Hans Bauer – yes, there are a lot of Hans here. This Hans like the other Hans had clearly not practiced his shooting and missed Baz’s Pup (actually it was Jack’s Pup and Baz was just ‘borrowing’ it). Hans wasn’t so lucky as Baz hit a fuel line and a small fire flickered along the side of the Albatros. I guess many Hans make light work or, in this case, the Seadogs will make light of many Hans.

Name:	BYM0505.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	309816

As the Voisin came in close, Baz could see what the problem was – debris stuck in the rudder. The Voisin had taken a lot of damage and from the looks of hit, the observer wasn’t too health either…but healthy enough to get a pot shot off at the passing Hans.

Name:	BYM0506.jpg 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	309817

The Hans B wasn’t about to take this ‘lying down’ – if one could by ‘lying down’ flying an aeroplane. An Immelmann turn put the Voisin in his sights. The fragile Voisin would not survive long taking this kind of damage.

Name:	BYM0507.jpg 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	309818

With an Immelmann (oops, shouldn’t have done that – see notes at the end) Baz was back in the fray to take the heat off the Frenchie. An engine hit would force Hans B home, but the rudder hit on Baz’s Pup would force Baz to do some calculating. He had a plan to help the Frenchie but the rudder hit would complicate it.

Name:	BYM0508.jpg 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	309819

Meanwhile sniper Bruce was harrying Hans S. Down below, Hans A was being helped from the wreckage of his plane by some helpful infantrymen.

Name:	BYM0509.jpg 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	309820

Eager to get at each other Bruce and Hans S collided. Bruce was sure the collision had caused engine damage. (“Nah, you chickened out”, Baz called out from his repair work. “Afraid of those Albatri”. Bruce ignored the interjection.)

Name:	BYM0510.jpg 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	309821

By now it was clear what Baz was doing. He was trying to ‘run down’ the Voisin. A ‘controlled collision’ he’d call it afterwards. A pretty crazy thing to be doing.

Name:	BYM0511.jpg 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	309822

While Baz was executing his hairbrained scheme, Flashman was intercepting the escaping Hans B - or trying to – his deflection shots were wide. That didn’t help poor Hans B, as the fire suddenly decided to flare up ending the flying days of this Albatros. Fortunately for Hans B, there were more helpful infantrymen to help him out of his wreckage, so he’d soon be flying again.

Name:	BYM0512.jpg 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	309823

Baz was nearly on the Voisin when Hans S showed up. Fortunately, Hans S’s shooting was naught better than Flashman’s had been.

Name:	BYM0513.jpg 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	309824

Bang – the speedy Pup crashed into the Voisin. [Quite the draw of cards. Baz is a lucky pilot and applied his ‘lucky’ skill to nullifying the damage to the Voisin – otherwise it would have gone down as the 8 points halved to 4 would have given it 11 points. The ‘boom’ damage only meant 3 points for the Pup, which could take it, but it was quite the draw of two collision cards.]

Name:	BYM0514.jpg 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	309825

Baz still had to extricate the Pup from the Voisin without too much more damage – fortunately each of the planes took minor damage.

Name:	BYM0515.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	309826

With Baz free from the Voisin, the Voisin could now make its way to safety. That still left one Hun, Hans S, lurking about and hoping to finish off the badly battered Voisin.

Name:	BYM0516.jpg 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	309827

Baz and Flashman teamed up to keep Hans S away from the Voisin – and maybe even to bag another Hun.

Name:	BYM0517.jpg 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	309828

It was a hopeless fight for Hans. His enemies were on his tail. He’d have to run for it. [His plane was just one turn from the mat edge.]

Name:	BYM0518.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	309829

However, just so that he wasn’t the only one not having been in a collision, Flashman collided with the escaping Hans S. The Albatros was very heavily damage and not much was needed to knocked from the skies. Flashman’s Pup suffered little in the this ‘controlled collision’ – as Flashman would call it afterwards. Fortunately, for the unfortunate. Hans S, there were still more helpful infantrymen lounging about. Perhaps they too were named Hans and able to lend a helping Hans.

Name:	BYM0519.jpg 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	309830

The scene fades back to the Koala Bush Pilot Airlines hangar.

“That’s a tall tale if I ever heard one”, commented Jack. “Mind you, as I recall, Baz had a habit of returning my Pup in less than pristine condition. So, perhaps it went just as you remember, Bruce. What do you say, Baz? Is that how it went? Perhaps you were demonstrating your wartime skills to our PAYING passengers.”

“Harrumph”, was the reply.

Note: I played the game with altitude with all planes starting on the same altitude. It made no difference at all – except for one key incident, the controlled collision. The Voisin had no climb counters while Baz had one climb counter from the Immelmann turn. According to the rules if one plane has no climb counters while the other does, there’s no collision. I forgot this rule and didn’t realize until after the game the this would have meant there was no controlled collision. Of course, that would have altered everything in the game. If I had remembered this rule prior to the game I would have played it without altitude. The victory points below are with and without credit for rescuing the two-seater.

The other rule I forgot was to ignore special damage, other than a ‘boom’, for collisions. Bruce Dundee’s Pup should not have had engine damage and should not have been ‘forced to return to base due to engine damage’. However, I played it as if there was engine damage, so I also applied the FRTB safe landing rule for consistency.

Victory Points:

Seadogs:
    Tandem rescued = 0 points
    Enemy shot down = 3 X 4 points = 12 points
    Total = 12 points

Adlers:
    Enemy tandem downed = 6 points
    Total = 6 points

Seadog Victory
    Last edited by flash; 12-02-2021 at 06:33. Reason: VP corrected

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs
    FCdr Nigel Flashman - Pup (Dunning) / RTB 1 Kill
    [Note: In the photo it should be RTB and not FRTB-E.]

Name:	BYM05Flashman.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	309831

FSL Bruce Dundee - Pup (Lt Blue) / RTB 1 Kill

Name:	BYM05Bruce.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	309832

FSL Baz Lanister - Pup (Dk Blue) / RTB 1 Kill

Name:	BYM05Baz.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	309833

Aviation Miltaire

Unknown Crew - Voisin Type 3 / COL - ET 0 kills
    Fate of crew unknown. (Not RTB as shown)

Name:	BYM05Voisin.jpg 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	309834

The Adlers
    Ltn Hans Bauer - Albatros DII (AH) / FLM FT 0 kills
    C&W = 6 -2 FLM = 4 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 2 = Skip 2

Name:	BYM05HansB.jpg 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	309835

Fwbl Hans Schobinger - Albatros DII (Richthofen) / COL FT 0 kills
    C&W = 7 - 2 COL = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1

Name:	BYM05HansS.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	309836

Fwbl Hans Anslinger - Albatros DII (Boelcke) / EXP - FT 0 kills
    C&W = 7 - 3 EXP = 4 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 1 = Skip 1

Name:	BYM05HansA.jpg 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	309837
    Last edited by flash; 12-02-2021 at 09:51. Reason: Tally adjust

Hi Paul

A lively encounter all round with lots of contact. Poor card draws for the Eagles led to them all being downed lucky for the Voisin and the scouts.

One thing for me to clarify being relatively new to the game. Can Baz give his lucky pilot skill to another aircraft (in this case the Voisin), not that they needed it or would have affected the result in any case, just meant that the Voisin crashed rather than made it back?

Also, just a quick note that in the tally you have the labels for Flashman and Dundee round the wrong way (Dundee was FRTB)?

Otherwise as I said, a great game and survival of the ‘considered’ collision, well done the Bulldogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Hi Paul

A lively encounter all round with lots of contact. Poor card draws for the Eagles led to them all being downed lucky for the Voisin and the scouts.

One thing for me to clarify being relatively new to the game. Can Baz give his lucky pilot skill to another aircraft (in this case the Voisin), not that they needed it or would have affected the result in any case, just meant that the Voisin crashed rather than made it back?

Also, just a quick note that in the tally you have the labels for Flashman and Dundee round the wrong way (Dundee was FRTB)?

Otherwise as I said, a great game and survival of the ‘considered’ collision, well done the Bulldogs.
    The first couple of rounds were really bad luck for the Eagles - boom card and fire plus a lot of '0's for their shooting. It's hard to recover from that.

I took liberties with the Baz lucky pilot. The rule is "this pilot may ignore one damage card after drawing it and seeing it". In a collision the other aircraft involved would draw its own collision damage card, but since it's a 'controlled collision' by, in this case, a 'lucky pilot' I gave him the option. If Dave overrules me on that, that's okay but it made a better story this way.

I've made notes for the Butcher's tally that the photos have the wrong labels. Thanks for spotting that. I missed it.

The choice of the Voisin was risky with only 11 damage points versus 14 for a Strutter - especially starting with 4 damage points. On the plus side there's a chance for a Pup to 'run down' a Voisin - not so likely with a Pup chasing a Strutter.

Another lively set to for mission 5 - was into it right up to the controlled collision & transference of an inherent skill ..
    At least the Eagles bad luck improved with the C/W rolls and they'll all be back in action soon.

Uncle says:

“That’s a tall tale if I ever heard one”. Sums it up quite effectively I think. Fanciful nonsense..
    Transference of ace skills, who's ever heard of such.?
    Quiet you lot
    Well, you lost the French chappies but you can't save 'em all and you did your best, we can expect no more than that. At least you bagged all the Huns in the process so that's something worth celebrating.
    Last edited by flash; 12-02-2021 at 06:55.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Another lively set to for mission 5 - was into it right up to the controlled collision & transference of an inherent skill ..
    At least the Eagles bad luck improved with the C/W rolls and they'll all be back in action soon.

Uncle says:

“That’s a tall tale if I ever heard one”. Sums it up quite effectively I think. Fanciful nonsense..
    Transference of ace skills, who's ever heard of such.?
    Quiet you lot
    Well, you lost the French chappies but you can't save 'em all and you did your best, we can expect no more than that. At least you bagged all the Huns in the process so that's something worth celebrating.
    Can't seem to play a game these days without a few errors. Never really thought the 'lucky' skill couldn't be applied until Barrie questioned it and I went back to read the rule. Oh well, I'm just glad I could get the game played at all.

Entertaining, as usual, Paul.
    The luck was with the 'dogs that day I would say.

Confused about the Voisin.

The last pic shows it flying over the town and the Butcher's shows RTB : how did the Adler get 6 points for a kill?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Entertaining, as usual, Paul.
    The luck was with the 'dogs that day I would say.

Confused about the Voisin.

The last pic shows it flying over the town and the Butcher's shows RTB : how did the Adler get 6 points for a kill?
    The confusion is because I thought, when playing the game, that Baz's lucky pilot skill would allow him to negate either collision damage card. However, when questioned by Barrie, I checked the rule which says that a lucky pilot can negate a single damage card in the game after drawing it and seeing it. Technically, the AI Voisin 'player' draws the Voisin's damage card for the collision - not the lucky pilot in this case. See above - Dave has ruled that the skill cannot be transferred in this case and has adjusted the VP and butcher's tally (but not the photos). The photos can't be redone without re-doing the game and I'd rather leave the story (told as a war memory) as it so that it's not disconnected from the photos. I wouldn't be the first time that remember official events differed. Hence, while the memory of Bruce has Baz rescuing the Voisin (i.e., the story as written), the official record (Dave's ruling) has the Voisin being downed in the collision.

Of course, there's another 'official-official' version which is that the Voisin's fate is unknown since there never was a collision between Baz's Pup and the Voisin (i.e., the Voisin was at altitude 4 and 0 climb counters while the Pup was at altitude 4 with 1 climb counter - so no collision according to the rules as written, but I forgot that rule too).

You can take your pick for the ending (1 - Voisin rescued as told in the story and photos; 2 - Voisin crashed in the collision according to BYM official records; 3 - Voisin's fate is unknown since no collision actually occurred if the rules are applied correctly). In any event the photos and story stand as is - as do the adjusted VP and butcher's tally (except for the photos) - even if they contradict.

Thanks for the rep; and off to the wardroom we go for a virtual pint.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 12-02-2021 at 08:44.

Nice AAR and some lovely photos to match it. I do like your Naval Pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Nice AAR and some lovely photos to match it. I do like your Naval Pups.
    Thanks, Gary. The Pups were fun to do - the metal kit Voisin - not so much. This will likely be its 1st and last flight.

When I looked at your first photo and saw the name tags I knew you would use, either the "look no hans" or the "many hans" joke and you didn't disappoint. Even so the " I guess many Hans make light work" corny joke still made me smile.

You and I seem to have made a right mess of the paperwork, good job we pulled victory from the jaws of defeat. You would think after so long doing this we would be more adept with rule remembrance and butchers bills but I certainly seem to be getting worse.

Good story though and now you have Baz helping out in the vineyard, will all the surviving Seadogs retire there?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    When I looked at your first photo and saw the name tags I knew you would use, either the "look no hans" or the "many hans" joke and you didn't disappoint. Even so the " I guess many Hans make light work" corny joke still made me smile.

You and I seem to have made a right mess of the paperwork, good job we pulled victory from the jaws of defeat. You would think after so long doing this we would be more adept with rule remembrance and butchers bills but I certainly seem to be getting worse.

Good story though and now you have Baz helping out in the vineyard, will all the surviving Seadogs retire there?
    I had to put the Hans joke in there because Dave used it in his PM for the last two replacement pilots - the two feldwebel Hans. When I noticed a 3rd Hans on the roster - the sealed their fates.

Making a mess of stuff is why I've resorted to leaving the maneouvre cards on the table - it makes it easier to 'rewind' play, such as when I forgot to move one of the planes.

Not all Seadogs will end up in the vineyard - only Jack and any Aussies. It's not how I had hoped things would go. Jack was supposed to be shot down and KIA/PoW in the last campaign which would be his official, on the record, fate, but in actual fact would be nursed to health by Angelique and her family. Jack, the Canadian, would disappear and the Jacque, the Frenchman, would appear - but with Jack now a lucky pilot I abandoned that storyline. It was that plus the whole Fergis storyline took over - is he a republican spy for the Huns or a double agent for His Majesty's government. I have to admit I'm at a loss for where the story should go - with enough wiggle room for mission results - so the games are holding less interest for me. Perhaps it's just that the creative well is dry - such as it ever was ‘creative’.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 12-04-2021 at 06:39.

Paul, very entertaining AAR, thanks Beautiful Voisin!
    REP

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Paul, very entertaining AAR, thanks Beautiful Voisin!
    REP
    Thanks, Chris. I expect that will be the one and only outing for the Voisin for this campaign. Durn, fragile thing cost me a mission success. Not that that matters.

Great tale Paul. Looks like you have all the Hans you can handle. Nice save on the Voisin. I hope the French appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great tale Paul. Looks like you have all the Hans you can handle. Nice save on the Voisin. I hope the French appreciate it.
    Alas, the "save on the Voisin" is in Baz's memory only. In the official the Voisin went down - something Uncle was muttering about "transference of an inherent skill" being a no-no. But maybe the French Oncle might see it differently.

Similar Missions

1. AAR BYM Mission 4 - Fly by Night - 27 Oct 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-14-2021, 11:06
  2. BRF BYM Mission 4 - Fly by Night - 27th Oct 1916 by ShadowDragon
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-03-2021, 13:36
  3. AAR OTT CYM Mission 10 - Keep on Trucking 12-18 Sep 1916 - by ShadowDragon
    Replies: 16