Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Prague 2021 - Should We Gather This Year?

Question Wings of Prague 2021 - Should We Gather This Year?

Good morning, gentlmen.
    Paul asked about this year Prague event and I promised to open a new thread about it (I see I am late, sorry for it).

COVID-19 situation here in Czech Republic: virus seems to be under control, we have very low numbers right now (13 new cases per 100k as an avarage for the last 7 days), vaccination goes well, opened even for 16+. Pubs are open, hotels too. So far so good.

Size: I do not expect ~50 participants as in other years, but I think ~20 are real. Should be OK even in Láďa's (Ladinek) LGS (Svět deskových her).

Date: Summer seems off, but we can talk about autumn.
    • September - Doncaster event, but probably before the autumn wave (if there would be any).
    • October - nothing in my diary (yet, I'm a married man).
    • November - seems OK, but maybe Láďa would start to use his LGS as a storehouse before pre-christmas crazy times.
    • December - possible, but not in Láďa's LGS. I am pretty sure he can not attend during before christmas months.

So, what do you think?

Below our posts from COVID JABS thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Well done. Any news on a late 2021 Prague Con?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    That's a good question. We can organize a small variant of it (and I'm in!). Any preferred date?
    Thats rather dependant on the EU health passport but November /December?
    Not so sure our UK Pilots could make it back to Blighty without internment though

Hopefully things will change as the summer passes but for those in the UK the FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Czech Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.
    According to gov.uk pages entry to the Czech Republic is only allowed by them for essential reasons, such as work, medical treatment or family reunion, or if you hold residency or a valid long-term visa for the Czech Republic. Even then test & self isolation requirements apply. Entry for tourism is not permitted.
    Once they open up to UK tourists it will need to make it onto the green list to avoid any UK entry isolation requirements.

"He is wise who watches"

The event is not just for UK citizens, but noted.

I have capacities in the last 3 weekends in October. 15. - 31.

Spare time because I had to cancel my buddy trip to Japan due to this Covid bullsh*t...

Convention or not, the chances are good that me & my wife will visit the Golden City in Oktober.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

The optimist in me says November to allow for the "Winter Endemic" to be identified and sorted. Will the Mars still be available for B&B and possibly a venue ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I have capacities in the last 3 weekends in October. 15. - 31.

Spare time because I had to cancel my buddy trip to Japan due to this Covid bullsh*t...

Convention or not, the chances are good that me & my wife will visit the Golden City in Oktober.
    So your not going to the Oylimpics then Sven

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hopefully things will change as the summer passes but for those in the UK the FCDO currently advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Czech Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.
    According to gov.uk pages entry to the Czech Republic is only allowed by them for essential reasons, such as work, medical treatment or family reunion, or if you hold residency or a valid long-term visa for the Czech Republic. Even then test & self isolation requirements apply. Entry for tourism is not permitted.
    Once they open up to UK tourists it will need to make it onto the green list to avoid any UK entry isolation requirements.
    I think the Prague Con covers all the necessary reasons

The optimist in me says November to allow for the "Winter Endemic" to be identified and sorted. Will the Mars still be available for B&B and possibly a venue ?
    That is an interesting question. It's website is down, it is not on Booking.com right now, seems MARS is in hibernation through the COVID times. On the other side, I remember plenty of Airbnb possibilities from times I bookend an accommodation for Mike and Donna and If you are OK with DIY breakfast I would recommend them. Unfortunately, no breakfast possibilities around as far as I know.

MARS as venue is also unclear - they have big banners in windows about making the place a Cuba Dancing Club, but there is nothing inside. But I do not think we will need such big hall this time.

Edit:
    Accomodation: There are at least two possible beds in our house out of Prague (Český Brod town) for free.
    Event itself: The core idea based by Sven, Andrzej and Watchdog in 2011 was "geather and play with friends" and that is the only thing that is relevant for Prague events. Personally, I do not care much about the number of participants or number of mission, I am just happy my friends want to come to Prague and play my beloved game. After all those years, it is the only real motivation that is still here (to be honest, we've been happy for record numbers in past time, but you know - the core idea is the most important after all). I can understand that some things would be more difficult now (= after leaving UK from EU; I can imagine rates for mobile internet for example), but as far as I am able to see the tiny numbers on WoW cards, you can think about Prague as friendly base for your flights all the time.

That is an interesting question. It's website is down, it is not on Booking.com right now, seems MARS is in hibernation through the COVID times. On the other side, I remember plenty of Airbnb possibilities from times I bookend an accommodation for Mike and Donna and If you are OK with DIY breakfast I would recommend them. Unfortunately, no breakfast possibilities around as far as I know.

MARS as venue is also unclear - they have big banners in windows about making the place a Cuba Dancing Club, but there is nothing inside. But I do not think we will need such big hall this time.

Edit:
    Accomodation: There are at least two possible beds in our house out of Prague (Český Brod town) for free.
    Event itself: The core idea based by Sven, Andrzej and Watchdog in 2011 was "geather and play with friends" and that is the only thing that is relevant for Prague events. Personally, I do not care much about the number of participants or number of mission, I am just happy my friends want to come to Prague and play my beloved game. After all those years, it is the only real motivation that is still here (to be honest, we've been happy for record numbers in past time, but you know - the core idea is the most important after all). I can understand that some things would be more difficult now (= after leaving UK from EU; I can imagine rates for mobile internet for example), but as far as I am able to see the tiny numbers on WoW cards, you can think about Prague as friendly base for your flights all the time.
    Well said Dan. If you do decide to have a friendly small scale get together I would be honoured to attend .
    it would be good to see Sven , Andrzej, Kubajs and yourself again after such a wilderness of this Covid

September and October are pretty messed up for Jelena and me this year, but we'll try to squeeze in anyway. So, set the date up, and we'll do our best to attend. Keeping the tradition (and the spirit!) of Prague Con is important

I'd be eager to join, and I will try again to bring a few Romans as last time, if you avoid the period of Lucca Comics & Games (29/10-1/11). Not overlapping Essen Spiel (14-17/10) will maybe help a bit to bring people, but it's not relevant.
    I would have also joined Doncaster 2021 with pleasure, but at the moment transfer rules from Europe to UK are so hard that I'll have to give up if they do not change. Within Europe, things are far more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    September and October are pretty messed up for Jelena and me this year, but we'll try to squeeze in anyway. So, set the date up, and we'll do our best to attend. Keeping the tradition (and the spirit!) of Prague Con is important
    Good If you have some "black" weekends, please, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I'd be eager to join, and I will try again to bring a few Romans as last time, if you avoid the period of Lucca Comics & Games (29/10-1/11). Not overlapping Essen Spiel (14-17/10) will maybe help a bit to bring people, but it's not relevant.
    I would have also joined Doncaster 2021 with pleasure, but at the moment transfer rules from Europe to UK are so hard that I'll have to give up if they do not change. Within Europe, things are far more reasonable.
    Thank you, Andrea, for your weekend preferences. I think we can work with them, at least Essen Spiel is exluded from the pool anyway, because Láďa will probably visit it (boardgames, ehm, spice must flow...)

And one personal below line: I know how it is visit a town anf go just from one playground to another (Andrea's visit of Prague in 2016)

Well, if traveling and booking accommodation is possible I´d like to join you. Meeting some of you folks in RL would be great and Praha is just a little more than 3hrs by car from my base after all. I fear we all will be in some kind of curfew again by November, just like last year, so October seems reasonable.

OK, that sounds good. As far as I know, accomodation in Prague is relatively OK (recommend to stay in private [Air B'n'B etc.] close to the LGS). Public transportation in Prague fully operational, life is almost as ussual (at least until October elections).

Up to October 20th I'm out... Terrible schedule at work...

Are we looking at a November Wings of Prague then?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marek
    Sorties Flown

November Suits me as well , until then I am in other airplane crew..

Still hoping

Is something going on this year or we wait next one?

well, I am out of the picture, no travelling for me this year.

Think the actual situation in Austria, Bavaria, etc... speaks for itself.

Curious how the situation in April 2022 will be...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Hey Ho Next year it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Think the actual situation in Austria, Bavaria, etc... speaks for itself.

Curious how the situation in April 2022 will be...
    Any hint of a date in April Dan?

Any hint of a date in April Dan?
    The week before the bloody aviation museum opens probably
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

When's that then Steve?

May 3rd

Heres hoping

I'll discuss it with Kubajs. Original plan was around St. George Day, but maybe even this weekend's possible. Let's wait until Wednesday evening (gaming session).

Enza's birthday. Not the best choice for me. Any other Spring weekend is good.

The second option is 6th - 8th May, but Láďa (LSG owner) had some comments.

@Kubajs, do you remember what was the comment about?

By the way, Hotel Mars didn't survive COVID times and it is closed (for a year, two or forever, who knows...?), so I recommend to check Booking.com or Air B'n'B soon.

May sounds good to me.
    Shame about the Mars,will miss the rubber eggs ,

As Paul says - shame. No doubt it will eventually open, but probably costing a lot more than it previously did. Perhaps a concensus on a different hotel is needed so people aren't scattered to the four winds?

Don't change data for me! I'll try to be there anyway. Hopefully with the family, if mid May will be chosen.

Arrow

May sounds good to me.
    Shame about the Mars,will miss the rubber eggs ,
    Well, Mars was not a 5* hotel and I am surprised it was open for such a long time - whole area of Vršovice was built in late '40 and it is pretty similar for example to "new" Dresden. Nothing special at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    As Paul says - shame. No doubt it will eventually open, but probably costing a lot more than it previously did. Perhaps a concensus on a different hotel is needed so people aren't scattered to the four winds?
    We are thinking about Gutovka Restaurant in this moment (see here). It is relatively close to Láďa's LGS and there are openminded even for such groups like we are. Nothing certain, just thinking now. The advantage is nice surrounding with park, fine even for kids.
    PS: My friend is serves on Kbely airfield as a radio operator, should I ask him about guiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Don't change data for me! I'll try to be there anyway. Hopefully with the family, if mid May will be chosen.
    Well, we are just dicussing right now and you can see even Steve passed with his old request this time You can share your preferences, but even hard limits. The number of participants will be probably less this time, so let's check all possibilities.

We are thinking about Gutovka Restaurant in this moment (see here).
    Looks OK. When you say they are open minded about groups like us, do you mean wargamers? Drunks? Wargaming drunks?

Well, we are just dicussing right now and you can see even Steve passed with his old request this time
    Nice one Daniel Don't know about others, but I don't particularly need a guide. And a couple of years back, didn't some mention a pilsner brewery for a cultural outing?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    And a couple of years back, didn't some mention a pilsner brewery for a cultural outing?
    I did that a couple of years back, the Urquell Brewery in Brno - well worth it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Guilty as charged . Wing co, Tim me and the good female supporters took a taxi to Pilzen for a look around the town and the brewery Well worth a jolly.

So, Tim, Steve, Paul and Andrea. Anybody else?

Do not expect Duxford / Hendon level in Kbely museum, please

So, Tim, Steve, Paul and Andrea. Anybody else?

Do not expect Duxford / Hendon level in Kbely museum, please
    Been there, done that about 10 years ago. It was a good museum to visit so will be glad of a chance to go again.

What are the most recent dates for Prague Con?

Pilsen also has a Museum dedicated to "Blood and Guts" Patton and the 3rd Army. So a potential double culture hitter

Pilsen also has a Museum dedicated to "Blood and Guts" Patton and the 3rd Army. So a potential double culture hitter

Similar Missions

1. Doncaster 2021 - Wings and Waves of War
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2021, 15:32
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 6 May 2021
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 09:06
  3. Wings over Wairarapa 2021
    By CaptMoonbeam in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-06-2021, 11:54
  4. Prague 2021 is it .... to be or not to be ?
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2021, 22:42