Ares Games

Thread: Black Friday Sales

Default Black Friday Sales

Gordon Bennett! I cannot imagine how we managed to survive without so many of our retail store friends letting us know that they have all the absolutely essential things in life available at a huge discount. I have lost count of the number of emails I have deleted this week and I now have RSI through hitting that key so often. Is anyone else finding this Black Friday sales stuff a bit tedious?

I must admit though I did falter and buy something. I bought an HP Deskjet 2330 colour printer for AUD $44. which is $31.62 USD or 23.74 GBP at today's exchange rate. So there are bargains there if you need something.

I generally ignore any holiday sale stuff, at least in person. Working in retail will do that to you.
    I occasionally succumb to an online sale, usually Shapeways, but sometimes Miniature Mart. But that's rare.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ha! The only thing I paid attention to for black friday was the email I got announcing one of my Kickstarter games has finally shipped.

I have been ignoring most. I did buy a couple bags of altitude stands from the Ares sale.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I have been ignoring most. I did buy a couple bags of altitude stands from the Ares sale.
    Did that as well, plus one more Macchi so I'll have two of each.
    Also fleshed out my Ki-84, Thunderbolts and Dauntless for WGS

My biggest add was another T&T Starter, a couple of 'Squids', and the Kickstarter Invasion bundle to add a few more Martians and the N.16/Camel and Dr.1 (like I need another ...) that came with it.

Now I need to actually get T&T to my table ....

Stumptonian, you are like me. You need to get your toys out and play with them!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Now I need to actually get T&T to my table ....
    Gack! That. My tripods have been dust collectors, along with my BSG ships.

However, even though I'm double-vaxxed and immunized for the seasonal flu, I still don't want to gather around a table with strangers. My FLGS doesn't have enough space and literally no air exchange, so I'm not likely to be setting foot in the place for the foreseeable future.

I miss the gatherings and fun games, but not the colds, flues, and other communicable diseases.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I've been taking the opportunity of the last 18 months to spruce up my miniatures collections (I've raised nine new fleets for my naval collections for starters), but the way things are going I'm wondering if any of them will ever see the tabletop against a real opponent rather than just solo play :/

Like many of you, I'm just not ready to be in close proximity to strangers over any length of time. There were some awesome sales on board games this past week so I picked up MANY, in anticipation of someday getting them to the table with actual humans. In the interim, I'm also purchasing many of the games digitally on Steam and playing them against AI and onliners to build expertise so that I can easily explain to first timers when we can play.

I do have a bubble group of 5 casual gamers that I've been slowly setting the hook with "gateway" games like Catan, Ticket to Ride and Cartograhpers. But none of them like war games -argh! I'd damn near ready to play Sails at this point (just joking Tim, I'd never stoop so low).

I have managed to get them to some intermediate games like Wingspan, Underwater Cities, and Root. A couple even "tolerate" Zombicide and are showing exploratory interest in Terraforming Mars. I've even got a few of them to actually request I host a game night. But I'm resigned to the fact that they will never play WoG, Twilight Imperium, Beyond the Sun, Aliens, or the like.

I know of other players with similar gaming tastes but I just have no idea if they take this COVID situation as seriously as my wife and I - so I shall wait it out.

By the way, I've uncovered a category of games unknown to me - drinking/dexterity. Crokinole and Klask lead that pack. If you try Klask, purchase the replacement parts - YOU WILL NEED THEM! These have become unexpected hits with my bubble group - most of which are women, oddly enough.

And google "how to play One Night Werewolf" if you want a laugh - my group also loves this party game after a pint... cause they are all proficient liars, exaggerators and story tellers who delight in duping me!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post

I'm damn near ready to play Sails at this point (just joking Tim, I'd never stoop so low).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I've succumbed to several Black Friday sales, and now a few Cyber Monday ones as well

I've had little time to prepare figures/models/terrain (3rd wave Covid on the rise again) but I've stockpiled enough to keep me going a LONG time when I do get some free time.

Can't seem to disengage from "Miniature Market" though - they won't post to the UK, yet they insist on emailing me four/five times a week with "unmissable offers" I cannot take advantage of!
    Yes, I have tried "unsubscribe" options, but none have had any effect.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Can't seem to disengage from "Miniature Market" though - they won't post to the UK, yet they insist on emailing me four/five times a week with "unmissable offers" I cannot take advantage of!
    Tim, if they won't stop bothering you, just go into your 'account' & change your email address. I've used that tactic to good effect in the past.

Like many of you, I'm just not ready to be in close proximity to strangers over any length of time. There were some awesome sales on board games this past week so I picked up MANY, in anticipation of someday getting them to the table with actual humans. In the interim, I'm also purchasing many of the games digitally on Steam and playing them against AI and onliners to build expertise so that I can easily explain to first timers when we can play.

I do have a bubble group of 5 casual gamers that I've been slowly setting the hook with "gateway" games like Catan, Ticket to Ride and Cartograhpers. But none of them like war games -argh! I'd damn near ready to play Sails at this point (just joking Tim, I'd never stoop so low).

I have managed to get them to some intermediate games like Wingspan, Underwater Cities, and Root. A couple even "tolerate" Zombicide and are showing exploratory interest in Terraforming Mars. I've even got a few of them to actually request I host a game night. But I'm resigned to the fact that they will never play WoG, Twilight Imperium, Beyond the Sun, Aliens, or the like.

I know of other players with similar gaming tastes but I just have no idea if they take this COVID situation as seriously as my wife and I - so I shall wait it out.

By the way, I've uncovered a category of games unknown to me - drinking/dexterity. Crokinole and Klask lead that pack. If you try Klask, purchase the replacement parts - YOU WILL NEED THEM! These have become unexpected hits with my bubble group - most of which are women, oddly enough.

And google "how to play One Night Werewolf" if you want a laugh - my group also loves this party game after a pint... cause they are all proficient liars, exaggerators and story tellers who delight in duping me!
    Hey Jeff,

I can relate to the situation with your gaming groups and board games. I have roughly 3 gaming groups but none are very tolerant of heavier games, although I've been able to get them to play WoG, usually without altitude and a simple scenario. I don't even explain too much except how to move the planes - just explain the rules as they catch fire, get wounded etc. "OK, for your next 3 cards that you plan you can't turn left, look at the arrows at the bottom of the card." Some of them actually like it despite the wargame appearance.

My mom loves Catan so I've finally painted up a deluxe version for her as a Christmas gift(pieces off Etsy and eBay)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1112212031.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	309748

Some that I think are fun at higher player counts, 6+ (if you haven't tried them):
    Secret Hitler
    Detective Club
    Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
    Bang! the Dice Game
    Codenames
    Just One
    Captain Sonar
    Mission: Red Planet
    Mystery of the Abbey
    Triassic Terror
    Ticket to Ride (although these days we prefer TransAmerica with its small expansion, got a copy off ebay as it's out of print)

Some that I enjoy that are 4-5 players:
    Century Golem (pretty version and a great light game with engine-building via cards)
    Wingspan
    Azul
    Blood Rage (prob my all-time fav)
    Dead of Winter
    Space Base

A couple of great 2-player games:
    Raptor
    Thunder & Lightning

I got a Tracey crokinole board about 3 years ago and have had a blast with some friends who normally don't play games, take a shot when you miss your shot He builds boards for the pro circuit (yes, that's a thing lol).

I've played Terraforming Mars about 6 times and enjoy it, would like to try Underwater Cities. At the moment, I'm waiting for the massive Oathsworn kickstarter to fulfill (narrative campaign/boss fight) and I'm in forMothership , about 48 hours to go for RPG sci-fi horror.

Oh, and I'm building terrain and cars for Gaslands to try that with family. There are too many games.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff and Chris,
    My wife is not normally into war games. But she does like two period games.

Black Orchestra by Starling Games and La Resistance by Flying Pig Games.

Both are pretty fun. Check them out when you have some time.

I envy you, Chris.
    My only gaming group is our Thursday Night Gaming hosted by Mike.
    The only game my wife will play is Cribbage.

I do have our old family Crokinole that my Dad bought back in the late '50s.

Thanks, Dan, those look good

Chris, thanks for all the tips! I hadn't thought of it that way, but I have my heavy group (those I don't know so well and am not comfortable with right now) and my light group (my bubble group that I trust without reservation).

You sound just like me... every time I buy a boardgame, the first stop after playing it is Etsy. I am a TOTAL SUCKER for all the upgraded game accessories made by the creative genius there (player dashboards, piece holders, card holders, tokens, minis, dice towers and neoprene game maps!). Every game purchased costs 2 or 3x in upgrade parts. Turns out - I hate cardboard! The upgrades really add to the game appeal for new players and can speed up play. Example: a 3D printed cardholder for Ticket to Ride allows passing of the 5 face up cards and draw decks as a unit to the next player.

I too went full gonzo on Catan upgrades to renew the game appeal. Got the 6 sided wooden player dashboards to hold all the pieces & cards. Lazered goofy sayings on them all: Sheep Whisperer, Robber Target, Ruler of the Longest Turn, Monopolizer of Resources, Wheat Economist... etc.

Very heartened to see you recommend Blood Rage. That has been on deck for purchase for months. And there is a horribly expensive Blood Rage neoprene game mat and some metal/glass tokens sitting in my Etsy cart... it shall have to wait to the new year as I bought 13 games this quarter already. Getting the evil eye from spousal unit.

You have given me much to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Jeff and Chris,
    My wife is not normally into war games. But she does like two period games.

Black Orchestra by Starling Games and La Resistance by Flying Pig Games.

Both are pretty fun. Check them out when you have some time.
    Looking them up now!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I've succumbed to several Black Friday sales, and now a few Cyber Monday ones as well

I've had little time to prepare figures/models/terrain (3rd wave Covid on the rise again) but I've stockpiled enough to keep me going a LONG time when I do get some free time.

Miniature Markets and Noble Knight Games are RELENTLESS. I've found unsubscribing to be about 70% effective in general. Those senders with integrity will honor the unsubscribe. But when they don't... it often gets worse.

Retired from my IT job this year and started unsubscribing from all my IT vendor emails. Simply resulted in MORE emails as they seem to have sold/shared my confirmed valid email to other spamming entities. Tried updating my subscriber email to a google mail burner account and they simply send to BOTH accounts now. It's a minor irritant as I just have to clean out my junk filtered mail once a week.

Miniature Markets and Noble Knight Games are RELENTLESS. I've found unsubscribing to be about 70% effective in general. Those senders with integrity will honor the unsubscribe. But when they don't... it often gets worse.

Retired from my IT job this year and started unsubscribing from all my IT vendor emails. Simply resulted in MORE emails as they seem to have sold/shared my confirmed valid email to other spamming entities. Tried updating my subscriber email to a google mail burner account and they simply send to BOTH accounts now. It's a minor irritant as I just have to clean out my junk filtered mail once a week.
    I usually delete 10-20 or more emails every single morning from vendors and if I was not retired I would probably start up another email account and delete all my existing ones. Problem with that of course if absolutely everything these days is attached to an email account so you would have to go through all of your essential services like banks etc and get the details changed. I am thinking that any IT company that made a bugger off software program would make an absolute killing on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I generally ignore any holiday sale stuff, at least in person. Working in retail will do that to you.
    I occasionally succumb to an online sale, usually Shapeways, but sometimes Miniature Mart. But that's rare.
    Karl

can confirm. working retail will break you of any desire to participate any such events.

Similar Missions

1. Ares Games Black Friday Sale
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2020, 18:45
  2. WGSF Warlord Black Friday Sale
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2019, 12:40
  3. Black Friday Sale
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 36