Ares Games

Thread: WoG Solo System

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Default WoG Solo System

I downloaded the WoG Solo System app and it looks like it should work great, but I have a question. When you first start using it, it asks you to choose one of three solo systems; Standard, Advanced v1, and Advanced v2. Problem is, I can't find where the different versions are described. Can someone point me to where I can find the details of each of the solo rule sets? Thanks.

This might help. At least there are links?

Advanced V2 Solo Rules by Blackronin & Peter L - Where are They

IIRC, each later version expands options and complexity. Start with the first version, and step it up as you get comfortable.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Thanks. It's a bit confusing, but I'll muddle through. It surprises me that Nexus/Ares haven't generated ways to play this game solo. Modern wargame designers seem to have finally caught on to the fact most players don't have opponents readily available so many/most games are being designed with solitaire play in mind. Compass Games has a game coming out next year called Western Front Ace 1916-1918 that I can't wait for. It's a solitaire roleplaying game where you take on the role of a WWI fighter pilot and see how long you survive. I'm thinking of doing something similar with Wings of Glory in that I'd start with a particular aircraft/timeframe, roll up missions, and see how long my pilot survives.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by KirkH; 11-23-2021 at 11:38.

Hi @KirkH

I'm also relatively new to WGF and play 90% of my games solo using the WoG Solo System app. I picked up a few tips while learning how to use it and get the best out of it, a process it sounds like you're also going through. I thought I'd note my learnings for you, in case they also benefit your solo play:

1) I highly recommend obtaining and printing a 12-zone marker for use with the app and your AI aircaft (thanks @flash for the link): https://herkybird.tynesidewargames.c...emplateWW2.pdf

2) If you'd like to strengthen the zone marker, I followed @Captain Chum's instructions here and am very happy with the result: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=1497

3) Print and familiarise yourself with this 'Solo Guide for Program' as a starting point: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2309. I keep a copy as an aide-memoire

4) Then, read and follow @flash's tips for solo play in this essential thread: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...7s+solo+charts, especially the discussion of the concepts of "Closing" and "Moving away" used in the app in posts 30-32: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post560217

5) Further, I adapt this by measuring range as the first thing I do at the start of each new turn. If the range is "Far" (more than one range ruler's length) @flash recommends putting the zone marker in front of the AI aircraft's base (and around it if "Near", or one range ruler's length or less). If Far, I place the aircraft stats card in the centre of the zone marker and use its red dot for an accurate point to measure the zone of the target aircraft, generally while pointing the range ruler vertically, like the hand of a clock. @flash also mentions you should assume the target aircraft (generally one you or another human is controlling) will fly a "straight". I put a straight card in front of the target aircraft's base at the start of each turn AND the aircraft stats card in front of that, using its red dot as the point to which I assess the zone from the AI aircraft.

I also assess “Closing” predictively as moving into firing position / range, including for the AI aircraft on its target, and “Moving away” as diverging / out of firing position.

I put these cards back once I've entered the relevant data in the app ready for the next turn of play to start.

Personally, I use Advanced v2 rules for best results and find that, with @flash's tips on predictive play, the AI can provide a dangerous and sometimes fatal opponent, especially if you suffer engine or fire damage or pilot injury, which limit the capabilities of your aircraft.

It's personal preference, but I also ignore any special damage to the AI aircraft (as the app doesn't account for special damage in its manoeuvre selection anyway).

I have played ~20 1v1 battles solo this way and have found it very enjoyable. Against a capable aircraft such as the Fokker D.VII (I'm a RFC man), the results can be decidedly tricky and challenging. I also use DeepCut Studio 'Aerial Countryside' and 'Aerial Battlefield' mats for extra immersion.

Cheers
    Last edited by Flying_Corpse; 11-27-2021 at 11:15.

Thanks Rhys, thats a well presented synopsis of the AI.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Rhys,

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep them in mind. BTW, I'm not new to WoG, only to these relatively new attempts to make it solitaire friendly. Back in the day when Wings of War first came out I bought all the games and booster packs and used to play fairly regularly with my son. Since that time though he grew up and I lost my WoG partner, so the game has sat on my gaming shelf for a number of years. I recently came back to the forum, noticed the solo rules/tools, and have been having great fun with the game again. Thanks again for the input. It will really help my solitaire gaming.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Rhys,

I played my first solo game using all your tips and promptly got myself shot down. I blame you.

Seriously, it was great fun and I look forward to my next game using all these great solitaire tools.

Thanks again for the pointers,

Kirk

Back in 2015 a user named osnn01 made a program called maneuver generator that just picks a card from a deck at random. I am not sure if this is still in the files section but it sure kept you guessing with unpredictable moves. If it took you off the edge of the table you just substituted a card that did not. You might want to try that just for fun.

It utilised html language so could be modified. He has not posted for a couple of years so if the link does not work I can zip it and send if you pm me.
    Last edited by Baxter; 11-27-2021 at 14:12.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Don't think I'd like that because it defeats the purpose of the game. If ones opponent is flying randomly there's no way to predict where they might be so you might as well pick your own cards randomly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Rhys, I played my first solo game using all your tips and promptly got myself shot down. I blame you...
    Funny, he blamed me Kirk !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Rhys,

I played my first solo game using all your tips and promptly got myself shot down. I blame you.

Seriously, it was great fun and I look forward to my next game using all these great solitaire tools.

Thanks again for the pointers,

Kirk
    Thanks Kirk, I’m glad my synthesis of all the tools and guides was helpful. I do find the AI acts competently, and sometimes surprises, if you follow these tips. I’ve been shot down a number of times, mostly after suffering pilot injury, engine damage or fire. I just finished a 1v1 versus a Dr.I in a Bristol F.2b and really enjoyed it (the Dr.I went down in flames). If I make any further tweaks to my solo play style, I’ll provide an update here, but it seems pretty settled for now.

Cheers

Similar Missions

1. Aces of Valor solo game makes an excellent campaign system.
    By lordsith in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-11-2024, 09:58
  2. WoG Solo System [Mobile & Desktop]
    By DanjelRicci in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 329
    Last Post: 10-10-2023, 15:11
  3. Attention SoG Players - Solo Rules and Solo Campaign
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 09:46
  4. Solo: Lets knock out a system to actually make solo play possible.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 16:22
  5. WWI system vs WWII system question????
    By Propjockey53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 14:14