Ares Games

Thread: Dear Santa, what I want for Christmas is....

Default Dear Santa, what I want for Christmas is....

I know these are not 1/144 (they are 1/350) but still, eminently useable for a Wings game. Takom is releasing 2 Zeppelinsand 'some time in 2021'. The Zeps are injection moulded and the price is around the £50 mank (Hannants in UK currently offering 10% discount on pre-orders).

I also came across a French company called Classic Airships that does a North Sea Scout in 1/350. This is 3D printed with other bits in etched brass and costs 40 euros plus about 10 euros postage to Europe.

Last edited by Guntruck; 07-04-2022 at 23:00.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Oooh nice, thanks Steve. I had seen This Video on those and was tempted, despite having a Hindenburg and Akron/Macon model with shapeways bits in the queue. I may have to get one. I'm weak.

Please ignore the uninformed American comments about "blimp"
    Last edited by malachi; 11-10-2021 at 07:08.

Hmmm... How big are these?

I did up a base image for my Clipper 1801 Zeppelin, cause I wanted distict firing arcs, found here: OldGuy59's WWI Central Powers Bombers Album - Zeppelin Base.

Printed full scale it is 30x3 inches.

Would you want one for these at the right scale?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... How big are these?

I did up a base image for my Clipper 1801 Zeppelin, cause I wanted distict firing arcs, found here: OldGuy59's WWI Central Powers Bombers Album - Zeppelin Base.

Printed full scale it is 30x3 inches.

Would you want one for these at the right scale?
    According to the box art, the Q class is 510mm, the P class is 466mm
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    According to the box art, the Q class is 510mm, the P class is 466mm
    So, 20 inch for the Q, and 18 inch for the P. Storage and moving around with these would be easier than 1/214 scale.

Dimensions using a scale converter:
    P type base: 18.3 x 2 inches
    Q type base: 20.1 x 2 inches (corrected with additional info)

Links:
    Scale Converter.html
    The Modelling News.com - Ohh the Humanity! As Takom Releases a Pair-of Zeppelins

Dimension Correction: Wikipedia - Zeppelin P Class
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-10-2021 at 09:17.
    Mike

Ooh big airships... my favourite target.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Ooh big airships... my favourite target.
    Lest we forget!

Oh! Sorry Chris that is tomorrow.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Lest we forget!

Oh! Sorry Chris that is tomorrow.

Rob.
    Never too early to remember.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

My Q class arrived yesterday. Looks great

Time for some Zeppelin raiders!

I found a review of these models, and they don't have a rear/tail gun position, as provided on Dave's [clipper1801] Zeppelins. There is a triple MG position on top, according to the instructions.

So, anyone building up these? What marking?
    Mike

I'll probably do an LZ77.

Various MG configurations and debate around them. What I can tell so far, the P and Q class had 7-8 MGs (wikipedia and Guttman, "Zeppelin vs British Home Defence" p21). Aft of the upper rudder there was a tail gunner platform (Guttman, p23) although some debate on this, see Aerodrome discussion. The R class had those positions initially built but Strasser did away with the topside MGs and ordered other weight reductions to increase payload and ceiling for the "high climbers." Rear platform is not shown on the Takom model, although there is a small area that may be it, hard to tell. It would be pretty tiny regardless. I'll play it with a tail gunner.
    Last edited by malachi; 02-20-2022 at 02:48.

It will be great to see one of these birds on the table when completed.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I'll probably do an LZ77.
    Various MG configurations and debate around them. What I can tell so far, the P and Q class had 7-8 MGs (wikipedia and Guttman, "Zeppelin vs British Home Defence" p21). Aft of the upper rudder there was a tail gunner platform (Guttman, p23) although some debate on this, see Aerodrome discussion. The R class had those positions initially built but Strasser did away with the topside MGs and ordered other weight reductions to increase payload and ceiling for the "high climbers." Rear platform is not shown on the Takom model, although there is a small area that may be it, hard to tell. It would be pretty tiny regardless. I'll play it with a tail gunner.

Attachment 310000
    If you are keeping the tail gunner, I don't need to modify the Firing Arc template, nor the Crew Management cards. Too easy to just shrink it down to the correct length and width (I think).

OK, I modified the color scheme on the Zeppelin, and the ship info on the Crew Management card:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZeppelinMgmntCard_LZ47-1B.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	310014
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-16-2021 at 21:04.
    Mike

Oooooooooooooooooooohhh! So nice. Now where did I put my Christmas wish list?

Fixed the shading and highlights on the above card, as well as putting the top gun position on the drawing. This required moving some of the position indicators around.

Should be good for a P Class, now.
    Mike

Mmm Tasty. One for Pere Noel

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Great work, Mike!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice, shame I won't be able to get them at a price to start building a real Zeppelin force... something like 5 different markings per kit, and between the P and Q designs 34 total ships, some of the surviving P's rebuilt to Q at an uncertain date.

And then there's the construction process with my unsteady hands even if I did get a screaming deal... there's also a pack with one Zep and two battleships for additional Hard Target fun.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I hope Tim does not spot this idea for a force of Zeps with all the markings DB.

Rob.

Too late, Air Vice Marshal, Sir!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Just following up on the question of a tail-gunner as I think I found the answer in a footnote on p202 of Robinson's The Zeppelin in Combat. After a failed mission involving the destruction of L21 on 27 Nov 1916 (one of the version options in this Takom kit), Strasser noted in his L22 report that "Machine guns are no defence for the airship against aeroplanes, which are also superior in speed." Footnote: "Yet during the next two weeks L22, L23, and L24 were laid up in succession while machine-gun platforms were being built in the tail."

L20 had been destroyed in May 1916 so L20 and L21 in the kit have no rear gunner whilst L23 does. Of course, in game we can do as we like
    I'm going to try to do an L23 if I can figure out how to paint the thing. It famously met its demise on 21 Aug 1917 at the hands of B.A. Smart's Pup which took off from the forward deck of the H.M.S. Yarmouth.

Name:	L23.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	313090

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    If you are keeping the tail gunner, I don't need to modify the Firing Arc template, nor the Crew Management cards. Too easy to just shrink it down to the correct length and width (I think).

OK, I modified the color scheme on the Zeppelin, and the ship info on the Crew Management card:

Name:	ZeppelinMgmntCard_LZ47-1B.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	310014

Name:	ZeppelinMgmntCard-LZ66-2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	313092
    Mike

Awesome, thanks, Mike! Appreciate the card.
    REP

Similar Missions

1. Dr. Fauci Vaccinates Santa Claus -- Christmas is on !
    By NewFlyBoy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-24-2020, 13:56
  2. So what did Santa bring you for Christmas.
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 06:18
  3. The Santa sanction, or the Christmas file.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-30-2014, 07:03
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 01:36
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 12:59