Ares Games

Thread: Sector Clock arrows in use for a game

Default Sector Clock arrows in use for a game

Hello all
    I quite like seeing how an event unfolds and also the feel of a Battle of Britain plotting table when flying into battle. Where will the raiders go? Who will get shot at first? All that good stuff that makes a game 'atmospheric'.

So I've made some plotting arrows to show the course of the game. Colours follow the sector clock sequence of red, yellow, blue, and repeat. To prevent clutter and overload, I place the arrow behind the baseplate at the end of a round (that is, after two or three turns).

So in this test, a Do17 raids a coastal port with a Spitfire sent to patrol the coast, starting diagonally opposite each other on a mat.
    The plan is for the Do17 approach the town, bomb, then flee.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plotter1.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	308497
    The Spitfire heads towards the coast at low speed, and doesn't see the raiders until too late (as it was over two shooting rulers away).
    What I learned from this I didn't get the closing speeds right!, and just how tight a turn the Spitfire can do!

Next will be a deeper raid towards an inland city, with a probing reconnaissance first and two RAF flights. I see the arrows helping me keep track of progress, especially if SHMBO wants the plotting board, I mean the dining table back.

For the record, once the Spitfire came within two rulers it went straight into the Do17, then circled around taking a few hits before giving it a parting shot. It'll need a few patches in places. The Do17 crew achieved their target's Victory Points and will make it back across the Channel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plotter1result.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	308498

And thank you to Max Headroom for the card base, they're really great!

Terry

You might need to put markers on the arrows to show which is which, Terry.

Not this extreme perhaps, just a marker

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I like that idea Flash - I'll have to read up some more on the Dowding System and how it was used in practice.
    Possibly for my solo games a small block holding a marker showing altitude at that stage. Nice!
    Now, if I can just convince OC Home Comd SWMBO to be a WAAF for a day ...

Like the idea of the arrows Terry and Dave's idea about the markers. Not so sure about asking Mrs K to act as a WAAF for the game though.
    Rank only stretches so far even for an Air Vice Marshall.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Red Arrows: Kings of the Sky
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 14:42
  2. RAF sector clock
    By Honza in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 01:00
  3. Reporting For Duty - Western Sector
    By agentbalzac in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 18:42
  4. More sad news for THe RED ARROWS.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 01:49
  5. Flight Stands: arrows and triangles, are the right?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 05:27