Ares Games

Thread: Printing custom cards

Question Printing custom cards

There are some great custom cards in the files section and I'm enjoying playing with some of them. My question - how do people print them? I have tried printing on paper and sticking on card, but they have started to peal already, even after a few games. I printed some on card, but they are not as stiff as the original cards.

Has anyone tried a service like this?

https://www.printerstudio.co.uk/pers...ing-cards.html

I need to print of some custom cards myself, as my printer is out of commision. So this could be a good option for me. Thank you for sharig the link Dom.

I print them direct onto 250gsm card

I started off printing onto label paper and sticking that to card, the label stock stuck securely to the card but I found the cards difficult to handle on my mat. They didn't slide out from under the plane bases as easily as standard cards. My mat has a nap to it unlike the mouse mat material.

So I bought a laminator for £19 and now print on 220gsm card and laminate, this makes them slightly thicker and super smoth.

I have used a card printing service in the USA for maneuver decks, damage decks, airplane cards and various custom decks. Plus instruction booklets. They recently changed the number of cards that are available in a deck so I may be using them less in the future. The cards are great.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

I print my cards on double sided photo paper and then laminate them.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 10-23-2021 at 06:04.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I like printing on full sheet label paper then stick them to cardstock paper, 65 lb. A light weight card sleeve will protect them and give them some slip so they don't 'stick' to the mat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

All great suggestions. I already own a printer & laminator, so…

Using an online printing service is problematic because you need to have a minimum number of cards, sometimes using the same back image.

I've taken to printing cards on Epson Presentation paper, with front and back connected on one edge, printing the images using MS Word, on a Photo Stylus printer. The MS Word document could be printed at any local printing service. Once printed, I cut, fold, use a corner cutter, and sleeve.

On an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, I can print 9 individual cards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201021_1407189.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	308493
    Printer-friendly WGF Ace Skill cards, home printed. All the current skills in the game, including some yet-to-be-published, play-test Campaign and Scenario Pack skills.

Example of a fold-friendly card image: OldGuy59's WGS Equipment Cards Album

PS:
    Example of a sheet of two-sided cards:

Name:	WGSCards_01Comp.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	308494

Corner Punch:

Name:	corner punch_PSPCR02C_lg.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	308495
    Available anywhere (Office Depot, Michael's Craft Store, Walmart, etc...)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-23-2021 at 09:32.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I use 110 card stock. I buy it at staples. It still feeds through the printer ok and has some stiffness to it. I then cut them out and use European mini sleeves. These seem to be a close size. If I want the backs, I print those out on regular paper. Cut them out and stick them in the sleeve as well. This has bee working pretty good for me.

I use 170msg paper for print and laminate with 175micron foil. Cards are tad thicker then original, nicely smooth and edges do not peel off and holds nicely. I have remade all movement, plane and play cards I own from the game this way, because original cards edges started to deteriorate very quickly (movement card especialy). Laminated cards withstand quite rough behaviour from the players so now I am not nervouse anymore when others play with my stuff.

I glue two pieces of cardboard from breakfast cereal packets (printed sides together) and then glue the printed paper sheet to it. I have a guillotine to make nice straight edges, but not a Corner Punch, which sounds like a great present for the person who has everything! [but more planes and another mat would be nice, hint hint Santa!]

I invested in some spray adhesive - works much better than a "glue stick" although this makes paper hobbies an outside enjoyment!

Terry

I have a black and white laser printer, a guillotine and a laminator, so I just print mine out on ordinary paper and laminate them. No fancy backs or colour for me.

If I need to I will splash out and go to Office Works for colour scans and prints on thicker paper. I recently bought Oak & Iron and that game has a beautiful Caribbean map in high gloss thick paper. As it has been neatly folded into the tiny box it is virtually unplayable with the creases in it. I went to Office Works and got it scanned and printed on thick paper with a matt finish. It is 3 foot by 3 foot and perfect for some of my aerial and nautical game scenarios. You could do that with your plane cards and as it if was printed that way there would never be any peeling I think.

I print on photo paper, both front and back, then sleeve them.

I have a laminator (somewhere!) but have never used it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Default Card production

I print front and back of the card, connected at the short end, onto sticky back photo paper then fold over the edge of 230gsm card and trim to size. I then sleeve or laminate as the mood takes me.
    Last edited by Rebel; 10-25-2021 at 16:34. Reason: Missing info

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I print on photo paper, both front and back, then sleeve them.

I have a laminator (somewhere!) but have never used it.
    I do exactly the same as you do Tim. Sleeves are actually cheaper than laminating.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I use 110 card stock. I buy it at staples. It still feeds through the printer ok and has some stiffness to it. (snip) If I want the backs, I print those out on regular paper. Cut them out and stick them in the sleeve as well. This has bee working pretty good for me.
    Pretty much the same, here.

Similar Missions

1. Printing Expansions and Custom Cards (need files)
    By FancyPilot in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2021, 21:54
  2. Custom Aircraft / Custom Cards?
    By Togo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2018, 20:32
  3. Custom Mat Printing - Vista Print Australia 50% off sale 7 March 2017
    By infman in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2017, 16:04
  4. printing custom cards to size tips