Ares Games

Thread: WoG Vassal/Online alternative

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jose
    Sorties Flown

Default WoG Vassal/Online alternative

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking of developing a VASSAL Module for WoG WWI to enable P2P/PBEM online gaming. I'm contacting Ares Games to understand if there would be any copyright violations involved, but wanted to ask if anyone knows if this was already tried in the past by someone and if there were any difficulties encountered. In addition, would there be general interest in such an alternative for playing the game?

As an alternative, does anybody know or had ever participated on WoG online gaming and how? Unfortunately, there is a very small community in my country (Brazil) and it is hard to find people to play live. I can only play my games solo.

Thanks!
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeMal; 10-20-2021 at 17:08.

Hi Jose,

I admit that I did not know what a VASSAL module is, just checked with google :-) It looks interesting.
    So it would be an online simulation of WoG? Something similar to "WGS for Tabletop Simulator" that an other guy is developing?

I played a vassal game years ago I think it was called Dawn Patrol. If I remember rightly there was a lot of email involved and with altitude rules in play. I was not very good at it at all. However, it worked and worked well for some, so definitely worth doing for this game I reckon.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jose
    Sorties Flown

Hi, not aware of this table top simulator… will look into it… VASSAL emulates a board game that all parties can play on, either connected through a server or exchanging saved files with each other ones turns/moves. If you have the physical game, you can even replicate it and use VASSAL to give a “snapshot” to all other players…. miles and miles away. Pretty fun

Here's the thread about Woof's WGS work with TTS:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...etop-Simulator
    Early in the Aerodromes life, Andrea stated someone had made a Vassal module for WoW, he didn't provide a link, and I've never found it.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. Vassal for Wings of War/Glory
    By Steel Legion in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-01-2018, 12:19
  2. Possible Alternative To Magnets?
    By csadn in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2015, 10:35
  3. vassal
    By Grunswald in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0