Ares Games

Thread: BYM Mission 4 - Flash Flies By Night - 27 October 1916.

Default BYM Mission 4 - Flash Flies By Night - 27 October 1916.

"One of our agents is deep in enemy territory with valuable information and material related to unspecified new weapons being developed by the enemy." Started Uncle. "The agent is safe for the moment but it’s highly likely he would be captured if he attempts to move from where he's been holed up, never mind tries to get into friendly territory. HQ has determined that sending an aircraft to extract the agent by air is the only possible solution. Easy for them to say but this is vitally important, so we've been ordered not send just one aircraft but three. Two scouts will accompany the extraction aircraft in case of any problems." He glanced around the room taking in the faces on the three pilots present with a grim smile "And guess who the three lucky volunteers are !"
    2Lt Christopher Cross, pilot of a Sopwith Strutter, returned the grim smile and glanced at the two scout pilots Lt Bill Foldes and 2Lt Alan Keye. "Well, this will be interesting."
    "It's somewhere we've visited before just off the Dutch coast - a clutch of islands with a large sand bar at low tide" said Uncle then continued the brief "As the aeroplanes will need to refuel, there are agents in enemy territory who will have marked a landing area with lights and will have fuel. You will be able to re-fuel at the same location on the return flight. i will give you the full details presently. The mission is scheduled for later tonight, the first night of the waxing moon they tell me. A near moonless night will hide the extraction from the enemy but it will make navigation difficult. Good luck – you will need it."

The first part of the journey went according to plan, all the machines made it to the refuelling point just as darkness fell and set off as soon as they were all ready. The machines lost contact with each other almost immediately in the dark night but headed for the coast in the hope of meeting up on the way or at the location.

Cross (started near point 4) spotted the coast at a distance - given away by the white breakers and began to let his Strutter down through the dark night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3401.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	308285

Unbeknownst to him Foldes had arrived before him (at point 6) and followed the coast around to the headland off which the islands were said to be - he could just make out the sand bar and began to lose height to see if Cross was already there

Name:	SAM_3404.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	308286

Below them, lost in the darkness, the sound of their arrival had caused some consternation at the local airfield and a number of Halberstadt machines were scrambling to take off and attempt to intercept them

Name:	SAM_3407.JPG 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	308287
    Obltn Hans Jörke (cdl D.III); Ltn Otto Hengl (cam D.III); Ltn Kurt Drekman (blue D.II)

Alan Keye arrived (point 5)just as Cross passed below him, he sensed rather than saw the Strutter below and to his right and decided he would try and catch up with his comrade.

Name:	SAM_3408.JPG 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	308288

As Keye made his turn a ghostly coloured machine appeared from below - not one of his so he let rip !
    His gun jammed quickly and he wasn't sure he even hit it but he would have known he was there. At least firing his over-wing mount didn't blind him.

Name:	SAM_3414.JPG 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	308289

Meanwhile a lone German two seater type began his descent to pass over the town in preparation for landing.

Name:	SAM_3416.JPG 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	308290

Foldes found the island but there was no trace of the Strutter so he performed a Split S with the intent of finding where Cross had got to

Name:	SAM_3417.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	308291

Cross had made the coast and was descending - Foldes saw what he thought was the Strutter crossing the surf line below him

Name:	SAM_3424.JPG 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	308292

The flash of a Lewis gun above them had got the attention of all the pilots in the area but none could take advantage of this information as they'd been just lifting off from the field but at least they had a rough direction to head in. Keye was spotted against the stars moving off to the left by Otto Hengl

Name:	SAM_3425.JPG 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	308293

The German two seater passes low over the town. The girls a Madame Mimi's would be thrilled, smiled the pilot Fwbl Max Löffler to himself - they said it made the glasses rattle when they passed overhead.

Name:	SAM_3427.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	308294

Descending, Cross turns in to land as Foldes wheels round to check if he'd seen his charge or something else. A light flashes repeatedly from the far end of the sand strip - DashDotDotDot - B for Bulldog !

Name:	SAM_3430.JPG 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	308295

Keye has attracted some unwanted attention - striking off in a best guess direction the Germans close on him in the darkness, he's spotted by Hengl again

Name:	SAM_3431.JPG 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	308296

Cross lands right on the money - fairly confident he could run out before running out of sand bar and turn round right by the land mass where he'd he'd seen the light & been told their man was hiding out.

Name:	SAM_3433.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	308297

"What the..." Rounds slam through Keyes' tail as a Hun climbs behind him, his gun flashing brightly - the pilot, Hengl, keeping one eye tightly closed to preserve some night vision.

Name:	SAM_3435.JPG 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	308298

Foldes's plane is bumped by the airflow of the passing German tandem which he hadn't seen in the dark, his attention being drawn behind him by the faint sound of gunfire & a muzzle flash.

Name:	SAM_3438.JPG 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	308299

Keye's plane suffers more damage until the German's gun mercifully jams

Name:	SAM_3439.JPG 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	308300

Both Bulldogs reverse to have a go at the enemy, Keye's is too close, Foldes' target is swallowed by the darkness

Name:	SAM_3441.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	308301

Cross meantime has spun his kite around at the end of the sand strip and his mysterious passenger emerges from the rocks of the island

Name:	SAM_3443.JPG 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	308302

The dark sky is full of wheeling aircraft as the pilots chased the glimpse they'd had of a target, imagined or not.

Name:	SAM_3446.JPG 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	308303

Sometimes the difference in altitude is all that saved them from a calamitous end !

Name:	SAM_3448.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	308304

Snatch shots were made but no joy was had by either side, if they had hit or missed was unknown.

Name:	SAM_3455.JPG 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	308305

Name:	SAM_3459.JPG 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	308306

Cross, his passenger & baggage aboard runs down the sand strip & lifts off cleanly as the battle rages above - he's spotted by one of the Huns, he's sure, but he's too far above to do anything about it ad unbeknownst to him his gun is jammed.

Name:	SAM_3461.JPG 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	308307

About the same time Max Löffler lands the German two seater safely at the airfield, guided in by vertical searchlights.

Name:	SAM_3457.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	308308

The ride home is a torrid time - Cross had instructed his passenger not to fire unless they were shot at so as not to give their position away. The man nodded his understanding an held his composure and his fire the whole way home in spite of the Germans proximity at times

Name:	SAM_3470.JPG 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	308309

Name:	SAM_3472.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	308310

Eventually they all made it away with no further shots fired

Name:	SAM_3476.JPG 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	308311

Name:	SAM_3478.JPG 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	308312

Butcher's Tally:

Obltn Hans Jörke: (cdl D.III) RTB 0kills
    Ltn Kurt Drekman: (blue D.II) RTB 0 kills
    Ltn Otto Hengl: (cam D.III) RTB 0 kills
    Fwbl Max Löffler: (Alb C.III) RTB 0 kills

Name:	SAM_3480.JPG 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	308313

Lt Bill Foldes: N.17-A - RTB 0 kills
    2Lt Alan Keye: N17 - RTB 0 kills (shredded tail)
    2Lt Christopher Cross: Strutter C2 - RTB 0 kills Pax retrieved.

Name:	SAM_3481.JPG 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	308314

I found this quite complex to deal with but persisted and I got there eventually. After I'd rolled for start positions I realised it was unlikely I'd pass near the airfield so dispensed with the searchlights rather having another layer of management to contend with. I kept to the simplified night fighting rules (though probably got some of that wrong), There was contact but the card draws let it down some. I flew Cross' Strutter, ran the rest by AI once off the ground.
    After a few afternoon sessions to run it through, much effort and 95 images I culled it down to this. I hope it made sense.
    No Kills - everyone got home safely - The mission was accomplished.
    Last edited by flash; 10-25-2021 at 09:09. Reason: spellings

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Uncle says:

Well, I'm glad that's over and you all made it back safe and sound with your VIP in one piece. I was worried you might not find your way back ! Right, lets get the Mess open and celebrate our success

2Lt Christopher Cross is awarded the bar to his military cross for his service to the King and country
    Our allies have awarded him their Legion of Honour (Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur) (LdH) for his achievements.
    Last edited by flash; 10-20-2021 at 06:43.

If it wasn't for that lone 2RR all those damage cards look like digital code!
    4 jams to boot.
    I don't think I have seen such low cards in a whole game before.

Your 'dogs got the job done and made it look easy, Dave.

That was an interesting AAR, Dave. The damage cards could have made it more interesting - just 5 damage points over 12 cards with no fires, explosions or wounded pilots. My mission was going similar until your PM in response to my needing another Adler pilot - I'm sure the 'boom' cards read that PM and jumped the top of the decks.

Spot on landing there. Well done.

P.S. Sorry if the scenario was too complex. It was intended as a version of Rob's scenario from DYM but without the disappearing runway. The simplified rules were only meant as don't fire at long range unless the target is on fire or fired the previous phase. The problem is that it made the mission rather dull unless there were good draws on the damage. Maybe it should have been draw two cards at long range and take the one with lesser damage (sort of an inverse sniper rule).
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 10-20-2021 at 07:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    If it wasn't for that lone 2RR all those damage cards look like digital code!
    I know, so frustrating - all that effort and they damaged next to nothing but that's the way the B deck goes sometimes.
    I used the Halbs as I didn't think any CO worth his salt would allow his men off on a R&R jolly with all the best kit in the squadron, maybe A guns would have spiced things up a bit though !

Well done, Dave! Those Bulldogs have a bit of retriever in them.

Nice job and seems similar to how mine played out. I think the infantry and AAMG at the landing strip did most damage and just need to get it written up. I think I took 70 photos but most were non-interesting and it took me 8 hours to play. Unfortunately it was fairly dark when I was finishing under lights (outside) and the photos were too blurred or dim to use so missed some of the action. I used night rules and searchlight rules and altitude so found it quite complicated for each turn as well as adding in a ‘spotting’ turn each phase.

Well done to the ‘dogs’ and the Strutter that sneaked in and out without incident.

Nice AAR, very easy to follow. Well done to the Bulldogs for achieving a difficult mission with no losses.

Thanks chaps - sounds like we put in a similar amount of time Baz

Well done Dave, impeccable landings if you don't mind me saying so, and I'm a bit of an expert on landings.

I don't think there was ever much likely hood of lots of contact flying at night but it's a shame your card draw was a bit lacklustre however everyone survived which has to be a good thing.

All in all a good result.

Thanks John, they all made it home so mustn't grumble !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks John, they all made it home so mustn't grumble !
    Life's bleak if you're not allowed to grumble, Dave.

Wowzer! Nobody hit the dirt! Interesting job there Dave!

A successful surgical strike. Well done! Bulldogs all made it back home with with hopefully some useful information. A lack of action but I guess that's the nature of night flights.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-BYM Mission 4 – Fly by Night – 27 October 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-2021, 12:31
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-05-2021, 02:22
  3. AAR OTTBYM Mission 1 - Flash Denies the Enemy - October 5th 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-30-2021, 18:45
  4. Replies: 8