Ares Games

Thread: Discretion is the better part of survival

Default Discretion is the better part of survival

Not my finest moment yesterday but I am thinking worth recounting:-

I walked my dog at about 11.30am and he suddenly stopped dead and stared to his front. In the distance I could see a car veering from side to side along the walking/cycling track accompanied with a lot of yelling. Literally without thinking I pulled out my phone and as the car left the cycle track I took a photo of it. Needless to say the car screeched to a halt and a thug got out of the passenger side and treated me to a quite comprehensive portion of the lower English language and he advanced towards me with an iron bar in his hand demanding my phone. Being stupidly unafraid I said (without swearing) that no way was he getting my phone and if I felt like taking pictures of the street that was my business. His thankfully dominating female driver then yelled at him sufficiently to get him to get back into the car without rearranging my features and the car shot off with him throwing something at me as a farewell.

Upon reflection I am thinking that to take a photo of something suspicious is probably the right thing to do, but perhaps not so obviously. Getting to the age where the fastest moves I make are to the bathroom does not make me a great contender for street brawling. Perhaps age makes us feel invulnerable, not sure, but probably best to think things through before acting in those situations if you ever find yourself in one.

Glad that the thug was held on a leash by his gracious lady. Eeek, that could have turned out badly.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Not good. Thanks for this post. Definitely worth consideration.

Well done Gary, sometimes you have to make a stand against the low life but you do need to be careful.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

It always pays to have backup. Even if the backup is seemingly on the other side. Glad you're OK.

Very glad you're ok, Gary! It might be time to consider adding a big dog or a BFG

Keep Safe Gary!
    These Covid times do strange things to people.
    And you did the right thing, in my book.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Very glad you're ok, Gary! It might be time to consider adding a big dog or a BFG
    He's in Australia, being like me and keeping a .45 holstered in the waistband and an AR15 pistol in the briefcase (with creds to do so, for the record!) is a nonstarter. LOL

Congrats on surviving, I might suggest being a little more discreet next time. Dashcams are wonderful things... once I start the process of a car build I plan to have multiples covering various angles, maybe add a few on my aunt's ride to cover her blindspot problem.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Like others have said, I am glad no harm came to you.
    If you are ever tempted to do it again, perhaps you need a fiercer looking dog with you. Boston is too polite.

glad your ok. you might want to look into non ballistic self defense.

I find a good hefty walking stick has a multitude of uses Gary.
    Well done for standing up to the low life, but as you say with a bit more time to manage your reaction you may have well got away with the photo. I would have done so, because by the time I got my phone out and into action I would have been photographing the rear number plate as he sped away.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done on doing the right thing, it takes courage to stand up to the scum of this world.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I applaud your stance Gary, but take care there are plenty about who dont think twice about consequences, glad all ok for you.

Thanks for the comments chaps but my actions were not part of a stance or bravery or anything just sheer not thinking. When I was a radio operator on a patrol boat I could be guaranteed to be one of the first ones on deck if something went pear shaped. None of this sending mayday messages as the waters closed over me stuff like on the Titanic.

Glad it turned out well for you. Here in the states i have a little number (only .45 of an inch in Dia) that keeps the creepy crawlies at bay. Ok maybe more then one (many more) but that is in this country, others do not have such options. Always pays to stay aware and next time tell the thug all your photos are uploaded to the cloud automatically so even if you lose the phone they are still viewable. Not sure that is a thing but he may not know that and could reconsider his actions.

As for Diamondbacks comments, would not be surprised if he got the glasses with a cam in them so he could film whatever he saw while wearing them and store a hour loop somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Glad it turned out well for you. Here in the states i have a little number (only .45 of an inch in Dia) that keeps the creepy crawlies at bay. Ok maybe more then one (many more) but that is in this country, others do not have such options. Always pays to stay aware and next time tell the thug all your photos are uploaded to the cloud automatically so even if you lose the phone they are still viewable. Not sure that is a thing but he may not know that and could reconsider his actions.

As for Diamondbacks comments, would not be surprised if he got the glasses with a cam in them so he could film whatever he saw while wearing them and store a hour loop somewhere else.
    Not there yet, just finding frames that can accommodate my prescription is hard enough. (I require a specialized, high-index polycarbonate lens that only Nikon makes; without them, my *good* eye, using the term loosely, can't read the sign on a Handicap Parking space at a carlength.) I'm becoming a big fan of discreet bodycams, the kind that look like pens sticking out of a pocket...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. BELGIAN MISSION 1918 : take the picture ! (part 1 / part 2)
    By monse in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-18-2021, 18:37
  2. survival after crash
    By RJames in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 12:33
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 09:09
  4. Fantasy Flights: Episode 6 - Survival - Part 2
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2