Thread: Hello from Oxfordshire

syborg3d's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Default Hello from Oxfordshire

Hi guys

My name is Simon Ryan and I run SYBORG 3D PRINTING, which we started in 2019 and attended a couple of shows before the lock down. Partizan on Sunday 10th Oct was our first since then and things went very well.

So now some background:

I'm 57 and been playing wargames for about 4 years now and I am a now a member of the Oxford Wargames Society. I will play almost any game that allows me to throw dice on the table and have a good time.

I got into 3D printing after trying to find some trucks for scenario I was making for Battlegroup after seeing the film the Monuments Men. So you had to get the stolen art off a train and away with trucks before the Germans did. I friend suggested getting a 3D printer to make them and the club (I was at Abingdon Wargaimg club then) was impressed at the quality. I sold some at the Overlord show on their bring and buy stands. The feedback was fantastic and so I decided to start a website and sell the models at the local shows.

I must admit I have only played Blood Red Skies once, as the Abingdon club had a copy which members could try. I am more a tank guy, but willing to learn about these things that fly.

I will be at Warfare 2021 in Ascot at end of November, so if anyone is going, come and have a look at the models.

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hi Simon
    Welcome to the 'Drome' from West Yorkshire. I bought a small selection of your stuff, boats and planes, and am very impressed with the quality. I will be back (for more)!
    Fly safe and always watch your six!

Welcome to the 'drome Simon, the chaps that bought some sounded quite impressed with you efforts, if I get to Warfare this year I will come and find you.

"He is wise who watches"

Good to have you on the Drome Simon.
    Chris told me all about you on Sunday, but I did not get the chance to pop over and say hi.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Simon, from here near Norwich. It will certainly be useful having someone with your 3D printing expertise as a member but hopefully you will find much on this website to add to your enjoyment of playing 'Wings of Glory'.

Hi Simon, welcome to the 'Drome!

I'll be painting a couple of your WW1 planes in the near future, and will post pictures and a review here on the Forum.

It was great chatting to you at "Partizan" - I'll come see you again at "Warfare".

Cheers
    Tim
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome, Simon! Great to have you here and look forward to seeing your planes

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Welcome, Simon! Great to have you here and look forward to seeing your planes
    ^^^^^^
    What he said.

Welcome from Portland, Oregon.

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard herre in the 'States.

With the horrible economic outlook all over the place, y'know, the whole manufacturing, shipping, distribution disruptions, is there any likelyhood that you can sell in the US at a reasonable cost?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    (welcoming head bobs) from the lizard herre in the 'States.

With the horrible economic outlook all over the place, y'know, the whole manufacturing, shipping, distribution disruptions, is there any likelyhood that you can sell in the US at a reasonable cost?
    Post Office rates are about £12.00 to mainland USA for a small parcel, luckily the models don't weigh much, so it won't be much more than that. Not sure about taxes as each state charges differently, so probably that on top at your end.

I'm guessing you will need a lot of planes to make it worthwhile.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

Hello from Glasgow Simon.

Hello Simon

Welcome from Hertford. Dive in n enjoy yerself

Hello Simon. I hope you enjoy these forums and gain some new friends and a taste for our games. Do not overlook our companion game https://sailsofglory.org/forum.php either. 3D printing is pretty popular over there.

Welcome to the Aerodrome Simon. Looking forward to seeing some of your planes in an AAR from a future show.

Welcome to you Simon, from me in Bristol.

welcome to the drome simon!!!! with your own 3d printing business, sounds like youre unique in that your new addiction wont bankrupt you lol.

Hi from Brittany. Your models look great on the site, is there a possibilty of scaling to 1/200 in the WW2 plane section?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Hi from Brittany. Your models look great on the site, is there a possibilty of scaling to 1/200 in the WW2 plane section?
    I am running test prints and having them assessed for quality by Chris who I met at the Partizan show. So once i get the scaling right and the qaulity is good enough, I will be doing 1:200 WW2 planes. It will take a couple of weeks before I am able to make a production run as my printers are going to be busy replacing the stock I sold at Partizan.

Quote Originally Posted by syborg3d View Post
    It will take a couple of weeks before I am able to make a production run as my printers are going to be busy replacing the stock I sold at Partizan.
    Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Sorry about that!

Not more purchases Tim

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Not more purchases Tim
    At £2 and £3 a pop, it would have been rude not to!

I bought one of each scout model, and a few two-seaters, to prep and paint up for comparison with 'Shapeways' (and 'Ares').
    I didn't repeat my historical mass purchases from years ago - I still have most of these to do!

Welcome to the 'drome Simon. I am sure your 3d printing will be greatly appreciated.

Lovely to see this. I have several coastal.forces models on Thingiverse that you are welcome to use if you want