Ares Games

Thread: NEW SOURCE OF CHEAP (and I mean really cheap !!!) PLANES...

Default NEW SOURCE OF CHEAP (and I mean really cheap !!!) PLANES...

So at the Partizan show today in Newark we came across a new trader, this was his first proper show. He uses a 3D printer to produce a variety of model lines... 15mm WW2, 1/144 scale WW2 aircraft, 1/300 WW2 ships to mention a few, BUT... he also has produced a range of 1/144 WW1 aircraft, including Sopwith Camels, Strutters and Dolphins, BE2c, FEs, DH2s, Eindeckers, Fokker DR1 and D.VII, plus a load of other ones I can’t remember. The models are created in 2 halves which simply need gluing together.... now the really big news... his singles seaters are selling for £2 his 2 Seaters for £3... this must make them the cheapest planes available anywhere right now. I am not sure how long prices will continue at this price, so strike fast and strike hard before he gets cleaned out.

The chaps name is Simon Ryan....

www.syborg3dprinting.co.uk

Contact email is syborg3dprinting@gmail.com

After a lengthy chat with Tim and myself it looks like he may well reprint his WW2 range in 1/200th which is brilliant for us and for Blood Red Skies players..

Tim bought a load of these and will be assembling and painting them up shortly, so watch out for his report and photos.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

At least for the tanks it looks like someone took free files from Thingiverse and is selling them. The pictures are the same pictures from Thingiverse. I hope it's at least the same person who made the files.

I need a new printer, his are far better than mine.

He has been going for at least a couple of years. The tanks and coastal stuff are good value, but haven't seen his aircraft yet.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Just checked out his site, impresive. If he does resize hisWW2 prints he may well be onto a winner . How was the detail on the planes Steve?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    How was the detail on the planes Steve?
    Which bit of "but haven't seen his aircraft yet" is causing you difficulty, Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Which bit of "but haven't seen his aircraft yet" is causing you difficulty, Paul?
    The middle bit

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

He's got the planes from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/captain_ahab_62/designs
    Which is perfectly fine according to the licence.

Looks like he's using an FDM printer (extruded hot plastic) rather than SLA Resin so not the best quality but looks like he does a pretty good job.
    There is still quite a lot of skill/effort to get these printers to produce something that looks good.
    Also explains why the planes come in halves.

Doesn't look like he's found my WW1 models yet, although it looks like I've put "non-commercial" on the SE5 and Dr1 - I was considering selling copies my models but it's a lot of effort and mess

syborg3d's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

It was good to talk to Chris and Tim at Partizan and get some feedback on the models I made. I must admit, they weren't made for Wings of Glory, but just in the scale that works with 15mm vehicles.

I will be doing some test prints in the coming weeks of 1/200 WW2 models, but was looking for some advice on packing. I noticed that the normal Ares packs have 6 planes in them, but I was thinking of packing them in 3 aircraft, so they would be about £4.00 to £5.00 per pack, depending on size, the bigger ones would be single, like the ME 210 or P38 Lightning.

Yes I did get most of my files from thingiverse, but I have acquired licenses from all the designers. I don't sell the STL files, just the printed models.

I use ENDER 3 FDM printers, as they easy to use and troubleshoot, the quality isn't up to the resin printers, but I have been told it is good enough to slap some paint on it and push around a table.

A fiver would be a reasonable price for 3 smaller models, I would think.

It would be good if he could produce some bases and pegs too.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It would be good if he could produce some bases and pegs too.
    I thought Wings of Glory came with bases and pegs.

I do a hex base (needs a nail to work with a plane) and working on a hex base with removable pegs to allow altitude adjustment for WW2 planes.

WoG uses rectangle bases, so would need some idea of size to design one.

Quote Originally Posted by syborg3d View Post
    I thought Wings of Glory came with bases and pegs.

I do a hex base (needs a nail to work with a plane) and working on a hex base with removable pegs to allow altitude adjustment for WW2 planes.

WoG uses rectangle bases, so would need some idea of size to design one.
    Hi Simon, welcome to the 'Drome!

There's a bit of confusion here....let me try to straighten it out.

'Ares' DON'T sell planes in box sets of 6 - that's 'Warlord Games' "Blood Red Skies" 1/200(ish) WW2.
    Their model size is a bit variable, and their quality can be a bit suspect (bendy wings, super-deep panel lines etc.) and they need painting.

'Ares' models are sold singly, are fully painted ready to play, and each does come with a plastic base and 4 plastic pegs - this plastic is entirely transparent clear (not sure if you could 3D print something similar).
    'Litko' do "Wings of Glory" transparent clear plastic bases, which fit 'Litko' clear plastic posts in 2, 3 and 4 inch heights, but these do not fit onto 'Ares' planes ('Litko' make a "conversion peg-topper" to make them compatible, but depicting changing height is next to impossible with a single fixed-length post).

A few years back, a private seller on ebay produced "Wings"-style pegs in clear plastic and pale blue plastic (I managed to buy some packs) - he was then hit by a "CEASE AND DESIST" Order, and is no longer trading!

IGNORE ALL REQUESTS FOR PEGS! For your own safety.

I don't know what mounting system "Blood Red Skies" has, except that it allows planes to tilt up or tilt down to represent "advantage" and "disadvantage", and their rules have got them the wrong way around! (IMO - I played BRS once, and hated it!).

Your planes are great "as-is" - it is no great hardship to glue a magnet, or a ball-bearing, or even a plastic post to the bottom of the completed model to allow for table top game-play.
    'Ares' pegs are still available commercially, anyway, if you know where to look.

I hope to start work on a couple of the planes I bought from you in the next few days; I'll post up pictures here on the Forum when I'm done.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Tim

I shall just sell the models and let you fly boys work out how to mount them.

When we played with WW1 using a friends 2 inch hex map and some basic rules, I made a base and put a 3 inch nail in it and a magnet to underside of plane. As we didn't use elevation it didn't matter.

here is a picture of us playing, I used hex based objectives and a cardboard trench to make the middle of the map.

Name:  20210710_1345491.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  57.8 KB
    Attached Images  

Hi Simon,

Bases... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4892216 the author is on these forums.

I've 3D printed my own pegs - I wondered why they were not available anywhere!
    Probably needs a resin printer to make the pegs, they have to be strong and fit well or they wobble a lot.

As you say, a bit of filling and paint and they are probably as good as the Shapeways WSF material.

Has anyone got any photos of these planes painted up as I am intrigued to see how they look like.

Patience, Mark..

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ...I hope to start work on a couple of the planes I bought from you in the next few days; I'll post up pictures here on the Forum when I'm done.

"He is wise who watches"

I'm too busy at the moment - Covid cases rising, Hospital filling again, Staff sickness increasing, on-call commitments rising...

Plus I'm having to prioritise 'Salute', and 'Warfare', and other stuff.

I'll get to it when I can.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Has anyone got any photos of these planes painted up as I am intrigued to see how they look like.
    The models are done with a FDM printer, so the quality is not the same as resin or the commercial models. Are they good enough for a game with friends ......yes. Are they top quality with excellent details..... no

Here are some I painted and used for playing with my brother and friends. I am not a good painter, never was and never will be.

Name:  20211110_114427.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  20211110_114439.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  20211110_114624.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  20211110_114633.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  46.1 KB

The build lines and support lines, can be cleaned up with a knife or emery cloth, also i have been told a thin coat of watered down PVA works.

I hope this helps you.

I will some ready for Warfare for anyone going and want to look at the quality, I also should have some 1/200 WW2 version ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I'm too busy at the moment - Covid cases rising, Hospital filling again, Staff sickness increasing, on-call commitments rising...
    So rather less patients required then Tim ?!
    Keep up the good work old chap

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Cheap source of models in 1/300 scale
    By kolvorok in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-26-2020, 08:09
  2. Cheap Model Planes
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2018, 03:46
  3. Cheap Sea Mat; UK