Ares Games

Thread: DONCASTER GMs MEDALS

Default DONCASTER GMs MEDALS

I have spoken to Keith about there being a medal for those who have been kind enough to run the games we have played at Doncaster every year. It looks like this is going to happen (which is great), so to that end I need a list of everyone who has ever run a game at Doncaster... If this is you... let me know in this thread...

I will check back through my records as well, but off the top of my head we have the following....

Rob (Kyle)
    Chris (Boney10)
    Simon (Maverick)
    Simon (Strangely Brown)
    Mark (Woof)
    Steve (Guntruck)
    Tim (Flying Helmut)
    Mike (Mikeemagnus)
    Neil (Scafloc)
    John Biggles
    Andy (Hawkhurst)
    David (Naharat)
    Dave Manley
    Paul (Tikkifriend)

Also pretty sure that we have had games from Reg, Dan Sam, Nightbomber, Sven (?), plus am sure there’s a few I’ve forgotten.

So let’s get this list up to date... I also need to know if you have run a game at more than one Doncaster event.

Thanks Chaps

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Please annotate each year as well as the medals are awarded by year.

I've run a couple of games there. One was this year, the other was, I think, 2015 as it was the last year that the Vulcan was flying. And did I run the "Frigate Race" game or was that one of Chris'? I think it was a "Boney10" game but I'm unsure as I've run it a few times elsewhere

Thanks David...

I just checked, the first game I ran was in 2014, I organised one in 2015 and brought the models but got hit by the lurghy so someone (Neil?) ran it for me.

That also means the "Frigate Race" game was Chris' not mine
    Last edited by David Manley; 10-11-2021 at 00:22.

Hmmm... So, if people have been GM'ing for more than one year, there needs to be different grades of the GM medal?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hi Chris, I have definitely run at least 3 games. 2016, 2017 and 2018.
    Cheers
    Reg

Chris, I did the Swiss game 2019 and 2021.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I did a BSG in 2019 A WWII in 17 and a WW in 16.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Strange to say, as I mentioned to Chris yesterday I have only actually run three games at Doncaster, other than my Sails games.
    I will try and rediscover the years from my photographs, when I get the time.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think I have run a game at each of the first six Doncaster meetings - just not on this most recent one.
    I'll try to sort details.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Attended in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, run the game at least twice.

Kubajs attended in 2016 a 2017, but I don't remember if he run a game.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I did a BSG in 2019 A WWII in 17 and a WW in 16.
    Delay that list it was Spy/ defection WW2 game in 2015, Lancaster run in 2016 , WW1 along with Tim and Chris in 2018 and a Friday BSG in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I think I have run a game at each of the first six Doncaster meetings - just not on this most recent one.
    I'll try to sort details.
    Tim.
    You run Ace of Aces. I think that would count!

Rob.

So having trawled through emails, posts and previous years threads... this where I think we are on this one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	308041

That gives me plenty to work with thanks Chris. With the medal plus bronze silver and gold. 4 years will be covered by Gold.

Rob.

Chris, does it respect Origins system? When you are GM once, your medal is promoted to GM level independently on year's stars. I do not have a problem with a different system (a fine motivation to prepare at least two more scenarios for me), just noting there already is something (and noting Keith for a long time to add star clasps to Prague medals...).

Well Dan, to be honest I’m not sure I fully understand all the rules when it comes to medals, I just make a bit of noise, rattle a few cages and other far more intelligent and useful chaps actually go about producing the medals. But I think that we will be following something similar to the Origins model.

Chris I ran a Lancaster game at Doncaster, the same year the Lancasters came out

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Well Dan, to be honest I’m not sure I fully understand all the rules when it comes to medals, I just make a bit of noise, rattle a few cages and other far more intelligent and useful chaps actually go about producing the medals. But I think that we will be following something similar to the Origins model.
    Do the Participant and GM Chris but do not include the Wingman medal. It is nothing but a damned nuisance.
    If I were Dan I would approach Old Guy direct for the medal design and then run it through Keith.

Rob.

Chris, if you remember, I set up to run a game this year but it did not take place because no one turned up to play it. Does that actually count?

You are still spelling my club name incorrectly. It is Naharaht.

Well, I understand your point - there was a huge discussion about event medals many years ago, so it is not an easy topic.
    I think (and correct me if I am wrong, please) Origins model is simplified to independent stars and metal medals - when you are GM once, you have a silver medal forever and upgrade star clasp every year in n+1 system. If you run the whole con even after those, you would loose silver medal and would be promoted to gold etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Do the Participant and GM Chris but do not include the Wingman medal. It is nothing but a damned nuisance.
    If I were Dan I would approach Old Guy direct for the medal design and then run it through Keith.

Rob.
    I used Wingmen medal - for Ladinek who provides his LGS every year as a con place, but understand it is not necessary to have it for Doncaster (unless somebody from museum would join us here).
    Maybe you are right, Rob. I was waiting for Eric's wife, but they are probably out of this world, at least for a while. I would ask Mike for help when there will be next event here in Prague (around St. George Day, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Chris, if you remember, I set up to run a game this year but it did not take place because no one turned up to play it. Does that actually count?

You are still spelling my club name incorrectly. It is Naharaht.
    David... it counts

Thank you, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post

Maybe you are right, Rob. I was waiting for Eric's wife, but they are probably out of this world, at least for a while. I would ask Mike for help when there will be next event here in Prague (around St. George Day, btw).
    You are also right Dan. Old Guy, Mike agreed to take on the medal designs when Ling after superb work for years found it getting too much.

Rob.

Right... everyone who I am aware of should have had their shiny new Doncaster GM medal. If you think I have missed you off please let me know.
    Next job is to sort out the 2 UK major Con medals for Beach head and Hammerhead...

Thanks for the medal Chris.
    It looks as if I am being dragged out of retirement to buy a round in the Bulldogs' Mess once again.
    Drinks are on me chaps, but remember my seat is by the Aspidistra whatever Squadron Leader Skafloc says.

Kyte.

My pleasure good sir.

Look forward to joining you in the mess sir

Going to be a long night... looks like there are several rounds to get through

Going to be a long night... looks like there are several rounds to get through
    We'll keep a pot of tea on for you.
    And I'll have a port, please
    Next round on me.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Very civil of you Karl. Mine will be yet another G&t. Thank you sir.
    Rob.

Thanks for the new gong, WingCo!

The Brandy is flowing as of now
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Ahh, Tim must be off duty. Cheers
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Excellent idea Tim i shall join you in the Spirit world with some Woods Navy Rum a mere £4.95 a litre from the Rock of Gibraltar , just the thing for those salty sailor types on the forum, and some UK MPs who flew there yesterday 10 sheets to the wind

Similar Missions

1. Con Medals
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site Rules and Info
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-17-2020, 12:00
  2. Medals for Doncaster.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2017, 11:56
  3. Medals?