Ares Games

Thread: Am I Too Late?

Default Am I Too Late?

As the title implies I only recently discovered this interesting game. Is the game still in production or am I too late to enjoy Wings Of Glory? Are the plane minis and game components still in production? I ask because I read that one of Ares Games series, Battlestar Galactica, has already ceased production and the Aerodrome Store has also closed.

Too say there's anything in production would be risky.

We're waiting for some WW 1 reprints and there is still WW 1 & WW 2 Stuff available.

Get yourself a duel set ore a rule & accessoire pack and some minis that fit together.

For BGS there definitely won't be anything new or reprints.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

WW1 reprint Duel Packs on the way, WW2 South Pacific theme series in advance development, Sparviero and Blenheim bombers further along in development.

Best advice, get what you can afford from vendors, then start watching the Marketplace here. None of us are getting any younger, and there are some opportunities to pick up others' surplus materiel there.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I am assuming from these comments that Ares Games is still in business. I know that they are a small company so product releases might come out slowly especially during the pandemic.

I guess Wings Of Glory is a niche market but I hope that it has a small but loyal group of supporters/players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot905 View Post
    I am assuming from these comments that Ares Games is still in business. I know that they are a small company so product releases might come out slowly especially during the pandemic.
    You assume correctly. Most of their recent bandwidth has gone to boardgames; the problem with being a very small company is they have very limited working capital, which means basically they only have the profits of the previous release to pay for current development. (Admittedly I'm oversimplifying, but when you have a little company trying to deliver Big Company product that's a huge cramp on their finances.)

I do work for them on historical research along with a few others here, but unless explicitly stated otherwise everything I post is personal opinion only, not to be construed as official policy or speaking for them.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot905 View Post
    As the title implies I only recently discovered this interesting game. Is the game still in production or am I too late to enjoy Wings Of Glory? Are the plane minis and game components still in production? I ask because I read that one of Ares Games series, Battlestar Galactica, has already ceased production and the Aerodrome Store has also closed.
    Ares re-released the duel packs, the rules & accessory pack & some game mats this year so you should find enough to get you started, Ken.
    BSG was dropped from the line due to licencing issues and the Aerodrome Store closing is unrelated to Ares production.
    The rest is up to your search fu and the size of your wallet !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The rest is up to your search fu and the size of your wallet !
    Sigh, I am making WW1 wages in 2021, not a good outlook for WGF. Be that as it may I am very encouraged by everyone's feedback, thank you for sharing.

Ken,
    I was introduced to Wings of War, the predecessor to Wings of Glory, just as it was going out of print. Everything on line was being sold at ridiculous prices (I thought. It has gotten much worse). I started making planes out of paper to get something at a reasonable price. I made the bases out of thick card stock, and got decks from other Forum members.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stProjCamel_C20120809-Complete5ApropCmprsd.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	307274

Around that time, I started to find little shops around the country that were selling out their meagre remaining stock of models and accessories at, or below, MSRP (I was in the Canadian Forces at that time, and on an investigation that took me around three Western Canadian provinces in a few months).

However, now, there are still lots of options for people getting into Wings of Glory. Some vendors on Shapeways are selling 3D printed planes at 1/144th scale, some even in colour!. Prices are a bit high, compared to Wings of War models at MSRP, and some are a bit high for Wings of Glory MSRP, but you can pick and choose your planes and finishes.

Or there are lots of plastic models at 1/144th scale, too.

Other than the expensive (to me) colour Shapeways option, the others require some work. But, the fun of the game is worth the effort, if you choose to expend it.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Well said, Mike.

There are some less expensive models out there (Kissenberth Camel, Richthofen Albatros, etc.) that you can pick up and repaint yourself. A few Vallejo paints and some of the relatively inexpensive decals can go a long way. I had not modeled since I was a teenager ( turned 60 last week), but found that I CAN paint these things up - with a magnifier, of course . As with most things in life, just get in there and try things and you'll surprise yourself.

Welcome to the community!

Mike, that's a hell of a paper Camel!

Miniatures Market has about 30 different WWII and 60 different WWI planes in stock now for fair prices. For WWII, there are only a few models that are hard to find.

Link: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 1st Project

Where I started to learn about paper models: "How To" Card Models (Unfortunately, a lot of the pictures were lost in the Great Hacking in 2012)
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Currently available according to https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

WW1 Wings of Glory

WGF001X – WW1 Wings of Glory – Duel Pack
    WGF002 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Rules & Accessories Pack
    WGF101 – WW1 Wings of Glory Spad XIII Airplane Pack (A/D/E version)
    WGF102 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Sopwith Camel Airplane Pack (A/D/E version)
    WGF103 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Albatros D.Va Airplane Pack (A/D/E version)
    WGF104 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Fokker Dr.I Airplane Pack (A/D/E version)
    WGF110 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Aviatik D.I Airplane Pack (B version)
    WGF114 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Albatros D.II Airplane Pack (A version only)
    WGF116 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Sopwith Snipe Airplane Pack
    WGF117 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Nieuport 17 Airplane Pack
    WGF118 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Albatros D.III Airplane Pack
    WGF119- WW1 Wings of Glory - Fokker E.V Airplane Pack
    WGF120- WW1 Wings of Glory - Nieuport Ni.28 Airplane Pack
    WGF121 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Phönix D.I
    WGF122 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Nieuport 11
    WGF123 - WW1 Wings of Glory: Pfalz D.III Airplane Pack
    WGF124 - WW1 Wings of Glory: RAF Se.5 Airplane Pack
    WGF201 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Bristol F.2B Fighter Airplane Pack (B version only)
    WGF202 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Halberstadt CL.II Airplane Pack
    WGF203 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Roland C.II Airplane Pack
    WGF204 – WW1 Wings of Glory – Airco DH.4 Airplane Pack
    WGF205 – WW1 Wings of Glory - UFAG C.I Airplane Pack
    WGF206 – WW1 Wings of Glory - RAF R.E.8 Airplane Pack
    WGF207- WW1 Wings of Glory - Macchi M.5 Airplane Pack
    WGF208- WW1 Wings of Glory - Hannover CL.IIIa Airplane Pack
    WGF209 – WW1 Wings of Glory Sopwith 1½ Strutter / Comic
    WGF210 – WW1 Wings of Glory - Albatros C.III
    WGF211 - WW1 Wings of Glory: Rumpler C.IV Airplane Pack
    WGF212 - WW1 Wings of Glory: Breguet BR.14 Airplane Pack
    WGF303A – WW1 Wings of Glory – Handley-Page O/400 (RAF) Special Pack
    WGF303B – WW1 Wings of Glory – Handley-Page O/400 (RNAS) Special Pack
    WGF304A – WW1 Wings of Glory – Zeppelin Staaken R.VI (Schoeller) Special Pack
    WGF304B – WW1 Wings of Glory – Zeppelin Staaken R.VI (Schilling) Special Pack

WW2 Wings of Glory

WGS003A – WW2 Wings of Glory Battle of Britain Starter Set
    WGS103 -WW2 Wings of Glory – Kawasaki Ki-61 Airplane Pack
    WGS104 – WW2 Wings of Glory – Reggiane Re-2001 Falco Airplane Pack
    WGS108 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate Airplane Pack
    WGS109 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Gloster Gladiator Airplane Pack
    WGS110 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Fiat CR.42 Falco Airplane Pack
    WGS111 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Republic P–47 Airplane Pack
    WGS112 – WW2 Wings of Glory – Messerschmitt Bf.109 K Airplane Pack
    WGS201 WW2 Wings of Glory - Bristol Beaufighter Airplane Pack
    WGS202 - WW2 Wings of Glory - Messerschimitt Bf.110 C Airplane Pack (B and C versions only)
    WGS203 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Douglas SBD Dauntless Airplane Pack
    WGS204 – WW2 Wings of Glory - Yokosuka D4Y Suisei Airplane Pack
    WGS205A – WW2 Wings of Glory: Dornier Do.17-Z Squadron Pack
    WGS205B – WW2 Wings of Glory: Dornier Do.17-Z-10 Squadron Pack
    WGS302 – WW2 Wings of Glory – North American Mitchell B-25 Special Pack (B version only)
    WGS303A – WW2 Wings of Glory – B-17F “Memphis Belle" Special Pack
    WGS303B – WW2 Wings of Glory – B-17G “A Bit o’ Lace” Special Pack
    WGS304A – WW2 Wings of Glory – Avro Lancaster B Mk.III “Grog’s the Shot” Special Pack
    WGS304B – WW2 Wings of Glory – Avro Lancaster B Mk. III “Dambuster” Special Pack
    WG305A – WW2 Wings of Glory: Junkers Ju.88 A-1 Squadron Pack
    WG305B – WW2 Wings of Glory: Junkers Ju.88 A-4 Squadron Pack
    WGS401A – WW2 Wings of Glory – Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I Squadron Pack
    WGS402A – WW2 Wings of Glory – Messerschmitt Bf. 109 E–3 Squadron Pack
    WGS403A – WW2 Wings of Glory – Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Squadron Pack
    WGS404A – WW2 Wings of Glory – Junkers Ju.87 B–2 Squadron Pack
    WGA506A-WW2 Wings of Glory Damage Counter Bags

So... Ares games is going great guns, lots of boardgames in production, lots more in the pipeline.

The Wings of Glory lines are basically a sideline, and with the pandemic, releases have been thin recently. Thin, but not nonexistent. The basic WW2 game sets, some with aircraft, some not, have been replaced by the Battle of Britain starter set, which includes 4 aircraft and the complete rules.

Many of the aircraft you see photos of on this site are not currently in production.... BUT some are from 3 different print runs, one Nexus, two Ares, and reprints of one or more series have happened every year. Once you have one aircraft of each type, with some modelling experience, you can buy unpainted 3D models of that type and have many aircraft usable one at a time. Moreover, there is a list of unofficial aircraft, with printable images of cards. Buy one aircraft with the right maneuver deck, and one flight stand, and you can use many different aircraft types.

Examples of 3D printed official aircraft types, but different paint schemes.

Name:	338282_2915301155042_297113478_o.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	307285

Name:	IMG_20190126_160109~2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	307286

This one is a 3D print for an aircraft only produced by Nexus as a card, never a model.

Name:	FB_IMG_1503979874487.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	307287

This is a mix of 3D printed unofficial, and repainted Ares models.

Name:	Photo0437.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	307288

To some degree, this game is "open". Not open source, but owners are free to add models or repaint existing ones.

Name:	FB_IMG_1599379145275.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	307289

I will support what DB said; keep an eye on the market place threads here on the Aerodrome.
    Things come up all the time, and sadly, there will be collection purging and estate sales.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

If you're willing to paint them yourself, there are -- at current count -- 308 different 1:144 WWI airplanes with models available! See https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Cate...h_1:144_Models (I don't have a count for WWII.)

And that's not counting minor variants or when the same plane is available from multiple sources or paint schemes or modelers (i.e. the R.A.F. S.E.5a is only counted once.)

Ken

Meeple Mart in Toronto carries Wings of Glory. As mentioned there are other ways to get planes, but Meeple Mart has the all important ‘Rules and Accessories’. I’m in Ottawa and I get stuff from them by mail in a couple of days. I see your in Toronto so you could even pick up stuff. Link here:

https://www.meeplemart.com/store/c/1...30.aspx?ps=120

Hi Ken

Am I Too Late?

It's never too late, though it may become more difficult and more expensive as time goes on.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. A bit late but ....
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2020, 21:15
  2. Late for Eight ... to the bar !
    By flash in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-11-2018, 00:44
  3. A Day Late
    By skyking20 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-24-2017, 22:44
  4. A little gem! Look before it's too late...
    By HTRAINo in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 14:15
  5. I know this is late...
    By fast.git in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 13:27