Ares Games

Thread: Magnetic Gimbal Mounts

Default Magnetic Gimbal Mounts

I have a project where I could really use some magnetic gimbal mounts - ring and spherical magnets. Can anyone suggest a suitable supplier in the UK?

Don't know if this helps, but I've used these people before. They have a .co.uk web address, but they may actually be in Germany.

https://www.magnosphere.co.uk/strong-neodymium-magnets/
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

ebay

Search "Magnets" and Shape "Countersunk" under "UK only" and you get 147 listings!

There are even more listings for steel ball-bearings.

For spherical magnets, there are currently 30 listings.

Two of the sellers are

magnetsmagnetsmagnets

first4magnets

I have used both sellers, and had great service from both of them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for the tips - another question for those with magnetic gimbal mounts, what diameters do you use for the ring magnet and the ball bearing?

Tim could you please share a link to the ones that you use for either one of those UK suppliers of gimbals and mountings? As I am interested in getting some for my plane's.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Thanks for the tips - another question for those with magnetic gimbal mounts, what diameters do you use for the ring magnet and the ball bearing?
    Dave my original balls were 5mm as here, but they didn't hold the bigger planes, I roughed them up a bit but that didn't help. Dave (Flash) suggested I coat them with super glue which brought tears to my eyes but improved things a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 P1470346.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	308228

But now I am the proud possessor of 7mm balls and they are much much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010 P1470423.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	308229

The ring magnets have a concave hole rather than being a true ring, which might or might not help. I've not tried a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    Tim could you please share a link to the ones that you use for either one of those UK suppliers of gimbals and mountings? As I am interested in getting some for my plane's.
    Hi Mark
    Sorry, none of the current ebay listings match the ones I bought - it was at least 5 years ago, and I managed to get more than a dozen packs of Gimbal Mounts from Keith; these are the ones I use for "Wings", and I still have unopened packs ready to use.
    The ebay magnets have gone into other projects, and I now have very small magnets and ball bearings for adapting my Battlestar Galactica range.
    I've looked for my ebay magnets, but can't find them just yet.

The best match I can find so far is on Amazon - 6mm diameter magnets with a 3mm inner diameter, matched with 4mm ball bearings. Does that sound OK?

An update. I ordered the 6mm magnets and 4mm ball bearings and they work fine. I double-stacked the magnets to get a bit of extra depth which has also helped the attraction so my "special" planes have worked out nicely. Hopefully getting a run out at DonnieCon next year when I get all the other bits and pieces for the game sorted out

Here's the magnets I bought:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the ball bearings:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I spotted magnets from Green Stuff World in Entoyment last week whilst looking for other things - there are multiple sizes available and the prices look reasonable for 15 gimbals.
    https://entoyment.co.uk/?s=magnets&post_type=product

"He is wise who watches"

Good spot Dave.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Those 'Green Stuff World' include 3mm magnets, which are small enough for me to use with my BSG minis.

Just sent an order for the 10mm ones myself. Might be just right for the two seaters.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

This really works well. No reason to go back to the 'ball and ring'.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-your-aircraft

Similar Missions

1. Gimbal Mounts
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 04-09-2023, 18:32
  2. LOOKING FOR Gimbal Mounts
    By Walter Nowotny in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 16:14
  3. Magnetic Mounts
    By Baxter in forum Hobby Room