Ares Games
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DONCASTER 2022

Back in the day when we had a more organized PNW presence, Enfilade was the big one. But the PNW regional crew scattered and everybody went their own way... after Greg Bond dropped out I had to be the one who filed the papers to disestablish Washington Squadron and Seattle Flight.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Finished the last of the essential models for my game for this weekend, I'm travelling from now until Friday night so just in time. Does anyone have a model wind sock that I could borrow? Not essential but handy if there is one I could use

Not the request you see every day Dave... alas I have no wind socks

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Well, Paul (Tikkifriend) and I have met in the bar, and have broken the Doombar!

They have promised to have plenty more for tomorrow.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Hope so Tim otherwise you will all be Doom-barred.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

TALLY HO CHAPS... SEE YOU IN A FEW HOURS.
    Safe journey to all those en route.

Setting off in next hour should be in Donny 40 mins after that.

Have a grand weekend chaps, look forward to the AAR

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Well, Paul (Tikkifriend) and I have met in the bar, and have broken the Doombar!

They have promised to have plenty more for tomorrow.
    They lied! No Doom Bar. Reduced to drinking chemical fizz
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Where are you Steve

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Not the request you see every day Dave... alas I have no wind socks
    I have a pair of socks spare I think

Sad news, the Biggles ground crew are all down with the lurgy so no caravan this weekend. I'll be wombling up solo tomorrow morning as I am now fine having Manley'ed the others

Lest we forget

Gutted.... I will be looking out the solo rules at this rate, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    They lied! No Doom Bar. Reduced to drinking chemical fizz
    FFS!!!!!

Have arrived btw, drying out after getting a soaking on the North York Moors this afternoon. I'm just putting the finishing touches to my stuff for tomorrow

Well that’s another year done and dusted... there were a few friends missing but those that made the journey seem to have had a good time. On Friday (weather and traffic were both shocking) many folk were delayed or scheduled to arrive in the evening, however Zombicide made another appearance whilst I dug out my old copy of Kingmaker... (it’s good to be the king, those pesky Yorkists deserved the good thrashing they received).

Into Saturday and Rob kicked off proceedings in the naval room with a stunning Dubrovnik game... much port was drunk and many ships were sunk. Across the floor Mark (Woof) had the players chasing V-1 rockets. I tried to analyse the differences between the tabletop game and its digital version by running the tabletop version of the digital version of the tabletop game. Then Simon (Strangely Brown) and Juliet fired up their tablets and tried to replicate our game, thereby giving us a digital version of the tabletop version of the digital version of the tabletop version (I think). Next up was what appeared to be the most amusing game of the weekend (judging by the laughter coming from that table) as Dave Manley ran his air race game. Over on the WW2 table Guus and his Dutch contingent gave us Holland in 1940, alas for us non Dutchmen flying a mixture of planes I’d never heard of we failed miserably but did somehow manage to prevent the German paratroopers from landing at their target airfield (despite horrendous losses... mostly mine to be honest, I mean how can you draw 2 consecutive boom chits from the A bag?).

The boaties seemed to be having fun running their ships aground whilst downing yet more port. Tim’s air race proved to be a real scrap whilst Neil finally ran his Shanghai 1938 game, lifting the curse that has beset his attempts over the past 4 years. (I found a few more boom chits in that game as well). In the watery room some boats were sunk...

Despite the local hostelry having a non functioning booking service we had the usual evening of beer, food, awards and a bonus of multiple birthday cakes, courtesy of some sneaky behind the scenes operating by the ladies in honour of Steve’s (Guntruck) 70th.

Saturday saw the usual noisy chaos of the all in Ace of Aces game, won in spectacular fashion by Dave Manley. We then finished with the traditional prize giving which culminated in Andy (Hawkhurst) clawing the overall Ace trophy for an unprecedented second time.

I am sure there will many AAR’s and countless photos uploaded over the coming days which will show the true flavour of the weekend. So it just leaves me to say a massive thank you to everyone who made the effort to attend, all those who ran the games and all those that generously contributed to the prize tables. Great team effort everyone.

Here’s to next year....

Great indeed! Glad that you had so much fun, and eager to see pictures!

What was really good was the incredible variety of games on offer, real ingenuity and creativity.

I had a great time as always.
    Thank You to everyone who makes this weekend happen, you are absolute stars.

Lest we forget

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    I had a great time as always.
    Thank You to everyone who makes this weekend happen, you are absolute stars.
    Couldn't agree more John and I could only manage two of the three days this year.

Fantastic weekend in the company of some great friends. If Dave put on his race game again I definitely want to give it a go next time.

Fantastic weekend in the company of some great friends. If Dave put on his race game again I definitely want to give it a go next time.
    Ditto!

Maybe I actually AM "Steve", eh Neil?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Ditto!

Maybe I actually AM "Steve", eh Neil?
    I'm Spartacus!

I'm Spartacus!
    No! I'm Spartacus.

The Motley Crew

We're ALL Spartacus!

..Despite the local hostelry having a non functioning booking service we had the usual evening of beer, food, awards and a bonus of multiple birthday cakes, courtesy of some sneaky behind the scenes operating by the ladies in honour of Steve’s (Guntruck) 70th...
    Result ! Happy birthday old chap

"He is wise who watches"

Good to see a great turnout. Want to make next year.

wish to thank all the organises of this event well planned as always

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 ace of ace.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	319693

nice together

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Result ! Happy birthday old chap
    Thank 'ee kindly, sir.

Well said Tim

,Race of Glory shall return

I'd like to echo the comments above, an excelle t weekend with a fantastic group of friends

Users Country Flag

Name
    Arjan
    Sorties Flown

Agree and copy/paste all of the above!
    Somehow I survived my first Tour of Doncaster

Some personal highlights of this weekend (far from complete):
    - sound of Spitfires at Duxford
    - participating in an analog digital game
    - flying Ju 52's through clouds of defenders as if they were flying fortresses and almost making it to The Hague
    - skimming rooftops iand somehow getting back in the race (next year retry)
    - not becoming last in the Ace of Aces game
    - sneaking up on on and shooting down a certain French plane...
    But above all: the great company!

We want PICTURES! And they could be very appreciated on BoardGameGeek too.

Eager to know what exactly made that game session "an analog digital game"!!!

I tried to analyse the differences between the tabletop game and its digital version by running the tabletop version of the digital version of the tabletop game. Then Simon (Strangely Brown) and Juliet fired up their tablets and tried to replicate our game, thereby giving us a digital version of the tabletop version of the digital version of the tabletop version (I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Eager to know what exactly made that game session "an analog digital game"!!!
    Chris Hedeby's post above!

We tried to play the game on the table top, whilst simultaneously having the exact same game being played on the Online tablet............
    The results were NOT identical by any means!

The Analogue Digital game was where we took the digital version... exact planes, rules, altitude, points and ace skills and played it on the table. We then had Simon and Juliet trying to mirror exactly what we were doing on their tablets to see how much the outcome varied (a lot as it turned out)

Very interesting experiment!

Tim beat me to the reply, lol

Thanks Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Very interesting experiment!
    Time consuming as well as I had to create 80 ace cards from scratch...

Tim beat me to the reply, lol

Thanks Tim
    Cut/Paste!

That certain French plane will be looking for Revenge next time we meet

Great to see you chaps all again and make a couple of new friends. Thanks for all the work you put into the games for this year. I will try to get my pictures up tomorrow. This morning I have gone down with a rotten cold, and just spent my time checking cards were in the correct sets ready for Partizan on Sunday. I am now going to retire to bed with the bottle of gin which Guus so kindly donated to my supplies.

Rob.

Gin is the answer Rob. Take it easy.

Well that worked Paul.
    I can now divulge to the world Snoopy's finest hour!
    Rob.

Snoopy and the Ace of Aces.

For five years our hero had doggedly sought to bring Flying Helmut the German Ace to account. He was known as the Rued Barron because any pilot who chanced across his path rued the day if he lived to tell the tale. In five encounters Snoopy had been unable to bring him to action. Today was to be different! For once the cards had fallen out right and Lady Luck had him directly opposed to his arch nemisis. Unfortunately this also placed him directly in the Rude Barrons sights.

Two moves in and the cards were dealt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	319777

Boom! and down goes our hero.

Undeterred he takes to the sky once more and sets out to cover the whole table length to sniff out his enemy once more.

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	319786
    Last edited by flash; 10-05-2022 at 08:13.

Before he can reach the Barron.

he is boom, boomed by Herr Guntruck.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	319787
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2022 at 07:33.

Undeterred Snoopy returns to the fray only to be taken down by Mr Manley

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	319788
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2022 at 07:39.

Having flown the whole length of the table he finally comes face to face with his Nemisis and Booms him in revenge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	319789
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2022 at 07:41.

In the next encounter he is forced to take to the silk again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	319790
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2022 at 07:56.

He finally makes it to the area where the Baron is dealing out death, and has a bit of luck himself on the approach dealing with Mr Manley at last and dealing Reg the Boom card, after firstly getting a double miss.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	319784
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-05-2022 at 07:53.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. National Beachhead 2022
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 02-15-2022, 06:34
  2. Lend Lease for Origins 2022
    By rhodie80 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2021, 11:42
  3. National Doncaster
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing