Ares Games

Thread: Jasta 18 Shapeways Colour Print

Default Jasta 18 Shapeways Colour Print

I got my D.VII today and am quite happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	306590

Name:	Jasta 18 D.VII.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	306591

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	306592
    The droop looks worse in the photo than on the table

Name:	IMG_1266.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	306593

And the Card for Shultz

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	306594

Now to save up some to get the other model Daryl has produced.

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	306595
    Might decide to splurge and get some DH.2s as well

Beautiful job, Daryl.

Looks really nice! Think about this one myself!!!! Need to stop drinking coffee or eating and save some money!

Thanks for posting the photos! Now I gotta decide what to work on next while waiting for the SPAD 13 camo scheme magazines to arrive...

If the request door is open, I would love some Jasta 5 Albatros D.Va. There are a lot of cool Albatros Schemes out there!!! Siemens-Schuckerts would be great as well since they are hard to find.

Right now anything the size of a two-seater is too expensive (even more so a big flying boat). I did a full color R.A.F. F.E.2b and it came out around $100 -- I didn't even make that available on Etsy at that price. I had a talk with a Shapeways representative about it though, and he's looking to see if there is any way to make it work. Lessons learned though... for now I'll focus on one-seat fighters with "difficult" paint jobs.

Daryl simultaneously crushing our dreams and making them come true.

I would love to see a Rumey Jasta 5 Albatros.

Name:	179301057_5356749561062916_203664050131981189_n.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	306603

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would love to see a Rumey Jasta 5 Albatros.

Name:	179301057_5356749561062916_203664050131981189_n.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	306603
    I don't have very good documentation on the "monster head" Rumey, but I did paint his black-and-white spiral-striped D.V. Getting the spiral to wrap around the model was.. challenging.

Name:	AlbD5-Rumey.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	308278
    You would think -- as the fifth-leading German ace -- there would be more documentation on his aircraft.

HHmm....You would think. Interesting looking. I may have to do some reading tonight.

Thanks!!!!

Well, Thank goodness for Jagdstaffel 5 Volumes 1 and 2. Great books. Yes, that Rumey flew some pretty darn neat looking planes. I have to say, that striping had to be some serious work!!!!!

Responding to an older suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post

Name:	PfaD3a-Siempelkamp.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	310071

<<B.S.G.>> Gods-dammit!

Want!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I received the other 3 Jasta 18 models today.

Here are all four in flight:

Name:	IMG_1480.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	314572

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	314573

Well, three of them look good, but the Dr.1 is wrong; needs a white cowling, and blue interplane struts....

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-02 110015 Raben Triplane.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	314574

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-02 110355 Raben Triplane.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	314575

Pete, those are some nice ones! Not sure which ones I want to get next.

Great pictures; thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Well, three of them look good, but the Dr.1 is wrong; needs a white cowling, and blue interplane struts....
    I used the picture on the front of the Windsock Datafile. It's hard to keep up with the most recent findings!

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    It's hard to keep up with the most recent findings!
    I agree!
    My Jasta 2 Research Project has uncovered DOZENS of clashes/errors/updates, and I'm sure that even now I haven't been able to find them all.

I agree!
    My Jasta 2 Research Project has uncovered DOZENS of clashes/errors/updates, and I'm sure that even now I haven't been able to find them all.
    I have noticed with my own research that the pilots sometimes went through many many planes. The markings were not the same from plane to plane. So, depending on when the photo was taken sometimes it is difficult to determine what marking scheme was the dominate variant. Lots of contradictions and mistakes in all the books and articles that I have looked through. Which is understandable. We are dealing with black and white photos from over 100 years ago. I am pretty sure that there are very few people who understand how the colors diffused through the light filter of those old glass plate cameras.

I mean look at Nungesser. He has several Nieuport 17 planes that he flew. That, or he like repainting the darn thing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I have noticed with my own research that the pilots sometimes went through many many planes. The markings were not the same from plane to plane. So, depending on when the photo was taken sometimes it is difficult to determine what marking scheme was the dominate variant. Lots of contradictions and mistakes in all the books and articles that I have looked through. Which is understandable. We are dealing with black and white photos from over 100 years ago. I am pretty sure that there are very few people who understand how the colors diffused through the light filter of those old glass plate cameras.

I mean look at Nungesser. He has several Nieuport 17 planes that he flew. That, or he like repainting the darn thing a lot.
    True enough, but there are "unforced" errors.
    Raben's Triplane is one such.

He only ever had one Triplane - 479/17

It never had a red cowling - only white.
    All the contemporary planes in Jasta 18 (Pfalz D.IIIa, Albatros D.Va, Fokker D.VII, Hanover CL.II, Airco DH4) ALL had a white "face", with Vermillion Red abaft this (even Raben's Fokker D.VII). All known photographs show this - I can't find a single one showing a non-white "face". Yet, somehow, the mistake was created. A simple careless mistake by an aeroplane enthusiast gets published, and is then propagated all around the world, despite the evidence against it being readily available. Take the Blue/White 'Raben' Triplane, now positively disproved - it NEVER EXISTED, but publications showing the erroneous colour profile continue to circulate...

True enough, many pilots went through multiple aircraft, and/or multiple colour schemes - but Raben didn't.
    He had just ONE Triplane, in just ONE colour scheme (the National Crosses on white fields were converted to late-War "bar" crosses at some point in mid/late 1918, though) - and yet we are confronted with multiple erroneous schemes, with no way to correct/eliminate all the incorrect information circulating in the information ether/printed publications.

It's so frustrating.

Good - that's the most important thing.

... we are confronted with multiple erroneous schemes, with no way to correct/eliminate all the incorrect information circulating in the information ether/printed publications.

It's so frustrating.
    If copyright didn't get in the way, an enterprising person running a WIKI could post the most-current images, paintings, and photos of the known planes. Then there would be a way to correct things as new knowledge comes to light. But alas that's not possible.

As a person who grew up when the publications on WWI aircraft were much more sparse than today, I am glad that we've got a lot more information at our fingertips. (Albeit it's not cheap, or I'd own all the Aeronaut books). When I got started, there was little more than Profile Publication pamphlets, the Harleyford books, Grey & Thetford's book on German aircraft, and similar.

I did correct the Raben 3D print. (Though you can barely see the white nose from this angle.)

Name:	FokDr1-Raben.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	314813

Much better!

The experience of putting together my Jasta 2 Research Project led me to list multiple errors from multiple sources, and the work was exhaustive!
    Even now, I haven't access to everything, so some of my conclusions may well be wrong.

Similar Missions

1. 3D Print Console
    By Mike Wyant in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2020, 10:13
  2. Where can you find Jasta colour schemes online?
    By Popsical in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-01-2018, 13:01
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 13:40
  4. Dr.I decal sheets, Jasta 11 or Jasta Boelcke?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:41
  5. Re-Print Due?
    By nheather in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 11:16