Ares Games

Thread: 9/11 Boston Harbor Memorial Services

Default 9/11 Boston Harbor Memorial Services

Marking the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States, the USS Constitution held memorial ceremonies and did a "turnaround" cruise around Boston harbor to honor the 2,997 Americans killed that day. During the cruise an overflight of F-15 fighter jets passed over the ship underway in the harbor. Please see link for more details. Twenty years ago I, my wife, and four children were preparing to fly to Italy out of JFK airport in New York City. I am an academic and I had one of 65 papers accepted for presentation at a special conference at the Vatican on Humanity and Work, the conference to begin on 9/12. Presenters and their families after the conference were to be taken to the Pope's summer residence outside Rome for a private audience. Obviously, we never got off the ground that day. The college at which I teach lost 6 alumni that day in the World Trade Center, 2 of whom were father and son working for the same financial institution. A man I had as a student when I was a high school teacher was also killed that day -- I remember him as a quiet 18 year old, although he was in his 40's on the day of his death. I live in the Hudson River Valley about 90 miles North of New York City -- hundreds of cars were towed away from the commuter train stations in the Valley in the days following -- cars of people who went to work that day and did not return.
    It is a sad and very somber day for all Americans who remember so vividly what happened on 9/11.

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/events/september-11/
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 09-12-2021 at 07:38.

Here is a little known story of that day -- the great boat lift (a mini Dunkirk, if you will) -- how civilian boats converged on lower Manhattan to rescue an estimated 400,00 people. Please see story:

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/09/the-...=pocket-newtab

Humbling thoughts there Bill. Thank you.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by NewFlyBoy View Post
    Here is a little known story of that day -- the great boat lift (a mini Dunkirk, if you will) -- how civilian boats converged on lower Manhattan to rescue an estimated 400,00 people. Please see story:

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/09/the-...=pocket-newtab
    Amazing story - one I had not heard about before.
    Thanks for sharing, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Amazing story - one I had not heard about before.
    Thanks for sharing, Bill.
    Thanks, Pete. Here is the Smithsonian Museum's account of the boat lift:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ety-180978614/

another dramatic story from that time was how many gracious canadians opened their arms and homes to many an american traveler stranded by the grounding of commercial flights.

Though the vast majority of casualties were American we should remember that more than 90 countries lost citizens in the attacks of 9/11.
    It's sad to think that people are still dying from causes attributed to the after effects of that day, many of them just doing their duty.
    Remember them and their families.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash
    It's sad to think that people are still dying from causes attributed to the after effects of that day, many of them just doing their duty.
    Remember them and their families.
    This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    another dramatic story from that time was how many gracious canadians opened their arms and homes to many an american traveler stranded by the grounding of commercial flights.
    Yes -- in fact the musical "Come from Away" touches on this subject

Similar Missions

1. Pearl Harbor Memorial Closes Indefinitely
    By NewFlyBoy in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-04-2018, 13:19
  2. Douglas A20 Boston found in Italy
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 04:57
  3. Boston marathon
    By Baron Rolf in forum Officer's Club