Ares Games

Thread: Hello from a new member!

Default Hello from a new member!

What ho, one and all!

My name is Martin and I live in Mid-Devon in a little village I like to call Much-Piddling. I am one quarter (approximately!) of a small group of war-gamers named The Gentlemen of Much-Piddling. I am the youngest of the group (only by a few months) and I am approaching my mid-sixties. The other chaps are positively ancient by comparison. Two more of the Gentlemen are members of this forum, Vagabond and Hu Rhu.

Here is the Mission and Vision Statement of said Gentlemen:

The foibles, pettifogging, quirks, idiosyncranicities, waffling and hyperbole of four charming, sophisticated and erudite gentlemen of distinction, who rise above the hoi-polloi and riff-raff to bring a touch of style and class to wargaming.

As you will probably have guessed from my soubriquet, I am a Terry Pratchett fan, although my favourite author for fiction is P. G. Wodehouse.

I bought Wings of Glory some years ago and have had a massive amount of fun with it. Played lots of small solo games and a couple of larger games with Vagabond. I am currently collecting Fokker Dr.I’s and as most of them come from the Duel Packs, I have a few Camels too. I am certainly not an expert, so looking forward to learning a lot here and getting to know some of you.

I hope you will forgive my rather eccentric style of gaming and I want to post some AARs in the future. I have one to post soon, starring Sub-Lieutenant Roger Toastrack RNAS, which I played some time ago.

Pip, pip,
    Lord Snapcase RFC
    Cadet Pilot, South West Command

Welcome from a Kentucky hillbilly, Martin! You're certainly in good hands and I would think membership in such a distinctive group has provided you with more than enough training and thick skin to manage things here Looking forward to seeing you around the forum

Welcome to the Aerodrome Martin from another pilot across the pond. You guys over there are so organized with gaming clubs, must be wonderful. Looking forward to your AARs.

Hi Martin, welcome from Essex.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome, Martin, from Portland, Oregon.
    Looking forward to your AARs

One of the most amusing intros made by any new pilot Martin. Knowing John, I'm not that surprised, but as another Pratchett lover, I know we are in for some further very good posts from yourself.
    So feel free to stow your gear, have a good scout around and then join us all in the Mess for a few drinks and a chinwag.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

(welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States. Be srue to check the files section for scads of ad-ons, such as "unofficial" aircraft, scenarios, house rules, that sort of thing.

And if you have further questions, ask away, we're a friendly bunch here.

Welcome! There is a huge collection of wisdom and information here, but you may have to ask around to find some of it. It's like an old used book store.

Welcome to the 'drome from 'just next door' in Dorset, Martin. Surprised that neither John, nor Gary, mentioned being Gentlemen of Much Piddling but I suppose that's something you'd normally keep to yourself !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Welcome Martin from me in Bristol, good to have you aboard.

Welcome to the Drome Martin from another Dorset based flier.

Thank you everybody, for the very warm welcome. I moved to Devon from Dorset in 2006, so I know Dorset well.

Great intro Martin, welcome aboard from a sunny (for once) Yorkshire.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Hello Martin. I also am one of a group of four who are lucky enough to play this game regularly. Not sure about Pratchett but did enjoy Tom Sharpe.

Hello Martin - And a warm welcome from Newton Abbot, just down the road, as they say in these parts. Look forward to meeting up someday in the not too distant future and if you, Vagabond and Hu Rhu are ever down this way, why not pop in and say hello. The WWI table is always at the ready. Mid Devon huh! My last address was just outside the village of Sandford, but then perhaps that's nowhere near you. Anyway, enjoy and good to have you on board

Welcome to the 'Drome' Martin from up here in sunny West Yorkshire. Fly safe and always watch your six!

Hi Mike,
    Would be delighted to meet up once Covid is out of the way. Sandford, just outside Crediton? I get my cider there from Sandford Orchards! Much-Piddling is, in reality Chawleigh, just east of Chulmleigh, up on the hill above Eggesford. Do you know it?

Thanks all, for your very warm multiple welcomes! Much appreciated.

Much-Piddling is, in reality Chawleigh, just east of Chulmleigh, up on the hill above Eggesford. Do you know it?
    Know it well Martin. Used to love walking in the woods out Eggesford way. Look forward to meeting up, as you say, after Covid thing sorted

Hi Martin, really pleased you've joined the forum, lots to see and learn here. Looking forward to re-reading of the adventures of Toastrack.

Have a look at this section of the forum.

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/fo...r-the-Trenches

Lots of AAR's from our ongoing WWl campaign I know you'd fit in well, with lots of good company. Gary has just enrolled on the other side so Toastrack would be able to join our band of brothers and say:-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Bienvenue from Brittany Martin. Lived in Plymouth for 8 yrs in the 80s 90s and ended up with a Plymouth Maid for a partner. Surely do miss those strange sounding villages.
    Pray tell which of these fine fellows is your goodself ?
    https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125918.0

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I am the one on the right (the good-looking one!) wearing the British cap.

welcome to the drome Martin i do hope youll forgive me for most likely being one of the hoi-polloi and riff-raff. alas, i do sort of make up for it with a quirky and sometime entertaining personality!

Phillip, thanks for the welcome. I am certain you are a gentleman of distinction and not numbered among the hoi-polloi or riff-raff! Quirkiness is a very desirable quality!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Martin!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by MadLordSnapcase View Post
    Phillip, thanks for the welcome. I am certain you are a gentleman of distinction and not numbered among the hoi-polloi or riff-raff! Quirkiness is a very desirable quality!

oh you are too kind by far good sir! good show i say!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Martin, from here near Norwich.

Hello Martin

What Ho old chap. Pratchett and Woodhouse, a gentleman of distinction (well in reading matter) Dive in and enjoy yourself, lots of good eggs on here willing help with lots of information. Watch out for Aunt Agathas on your six. Toodle pip

Similar Missions

1. National: New member saying hello from DE!
    By Max Von Below in forum US Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 09:09
  2. New Member
    By Arkonstorm in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 07:56
  3. 2013 Origins member's tribute to 2014 member one
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 08:37
  4. New member looking for some help