Ares Games

Thread: Quitting on BSG?

Default Quitting on BSG?

I've picked up on a few threads here and elsewhere on the interwebs that some players are quitting BSG and selling up because of the loss of the licence, some commenting that its a "dead" game. I've never really subscribed to the dead game theory - we hear it in other stands of wargaming, particularly historical where there are claims that classic sets such as the various WRG sets are "dead" because nobody is publishing new editions, scenario books etc. (and that despite the rules still having thousands of followers, active discussion sites on FB and elsewhere.

So I wonder, is BSG really "dead"? Sure, it will become increasing difficult to pick up models and components, and we never got to see the "original series" ships as official prints. But there are several sources of 3D printed models out there (I've printed all the OS and Chrome ships that I'm likely to need), Nicolas Massicotte on the BSG FB group has been producing models and getting movement decks printed so I'd say its not dead, just morphing into a new form of delivery.

What say we all?

I've heard it from others, some of whom have sold their collections (three to me!).

As I understand it, 'Ares' are forbidden from selling or promoting/advertising the game or its components.
    Retailers will not be able to replenish any stock, so it will quickly become very scarce (indeed, it already has).

To that end I have swept up as much stuff as I could find, often at discount prices, so that if anyone expresses interest in purchasing stuff "The Shop" will be in a position to provide (in the same way as I do now for WGF and WGS).
    I currently have eleven Starter Sets, and around sixty boxed models still in shrink, besides the combined collection.

In anticipation of the now-deleted "Original Series" models, I have acquired eight Battlestar kits and nine Cylon Base Star kits, and have found some 3D print Cylon fighters in flights of 9 (still awaiting Viper Mk.Is) to try a modified version of the game allowing attacks on large ships.

I will continue to play BSG (except when I'm busy playing something else) and am happy to supply others who wish to take up the game.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It is only dead if you stop playing it! Just because a game isn't supported doesn't mean is isn't fun. That is what I don't understand. A fun game is a fun game! Why stop playing it because it isn't an active product anymore?

It's dead for the potential new (casual) players who would see the game is unavailable and that the company has abandoned development. No new expansions, rulesets, and promotion. Most potential new players will chuck the idea and move on to something else.

It's not dead for determined grognards who will 3D print or proxy models, search out old stock, and make their own house rules going forward.

It's almost dead. We need a miracle. It's for a noble cause.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miracle-Max.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	306270

The reason I am getting out of BSG is mainly because no-one in my gaming group wants to play it, rather than me thinking it is a dead duck. I have plenty of kit to put a game on so the fact Ares has dropped it is irrelevant to me.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I have collected my share and then some. I will keep playing BSG as long as I can find others interested in it. Not sure how it will be received at conventions once people know it is a dead end. It's a fun game and as Dan said just because it's not supported anymore doesn't mean it's no longer a fun game. If ARES stopped producing Wings would we quit, move on to something else? Not me. I'm in it for the long haul!

As long as there is a ruleset and a will to play it people will adapt and overcome one way or another to get a game on.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I currently have eleven Starter Sets, and around sixty boxed models still in shrink, besides the combined collection.
    My six starter sets now pales in comparison.

I picked up 21 other ships and enough control panels to pair them with, so I think I am good to go.
    I would like to get some of the other unofficial models at some point.
    Mine are currently in shrink wrap waiting to get to the table.

I signed up for the cards that Nicolas Massicotte is getting produced as well.
    The Thursday Night online group is thinking about giving it a go, so I am looking forward to that.

I was originally in a "No BSG" state of mind, but decided to go full out when Ares was forced to abandon the series after seeing some of the posts from Doncaster.
    Like WGF and WGS, the game will live on with Shapeways or STL models.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

I signed up for the cards that Nicolas Massicotte is getting produced as well.
    Pray tell, what are these cards of which you speak?

Tim

I think I will let Chris (malachi) respond. He's the one I got info from.

It looks like the order is now closed:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	306280

Sent Chris an email and he has responded to you, Tim.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 09-03-2021 at 12:46. Reason: Update

As long as people want to play the game, I will do what I can to support the players.

Need custom ship cards, or pilot cards? Need new ship cards? Need pilot trait cards? I will try to do those up, until I get a legal stomp.

If people find 3D printable ships that need supporting game material, I will try to assist.

There are very few people in my local area that play tabletop miniature games of any sort. Wings of Glory, even rarer. BSG? I think I'm the only owner of the game within 150 kms (Vancouver notwithstanding). I can't remember ever seeing any other people put it on a table within eyesight.

I snapped up a second starter set and a few fill-in ships to even out a moderate furball (eight per side), if they ever put on a gaming convention on the Island again. I plan to have a few Mk I or II Colonial Shuttles 3D printed, as targets or scenario objectives. I have mixed feelings about hosting a game at a convention that is Out-of-Print. Even if I think it is hands-down the best space combat game I've ever played.

Out-of-Print games are never dead, if people want to play them. I hope that when Universal reboots the BSG series, this game gets rebooted along with it!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'm with you Mike. I hope when BSG gets it's Universal reboot they will reissue licenses and ARES can get back in the game.

Our group has mixed reviews. But I love the inertial movement aspect and I like the BSG theme, so I'll probably keep playing when I can. A friend of mine prefer WOG WW1.

I'm gonna take another swing at a Solo Android app, despite my old brain's resistance to learning new tricks.

However, all the nice graphics I did up to emulate the game and licensed IP will have to go.

I'm gonna label all my future production with something like this:

Name:	StarshipBattlesLogo-1.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	306317

The stars are not supposed to represent the USofA, so I might have to reconsider them.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I'm gonna take another swing at a Solo Android app, despite my old brain's resistance to learning new tricks.
    However, all the nice graphics I did up to emulate the game and licensed IP will have to go.
    Mike - as long as you aren't planning on selling your app there should be no problem keeping your nice graphics.

anyone know why ares lost the license? i was under the impression the game was a popular seller.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    anyone know why ares lost the license? i was under the impression the game was a popular seller.
    HERE

Mike - as long as you aren't planning on selling your app there should be no problem keeping your nice graphics.
    It depends, I suppose. I was going to put out an app with all the appropriate credits to Ares and Universal (even using their logos). Now that Universal wants lots of money for their IP, I was just going to avoid that issue, even if I only shared the app by PMs to a Dropbox links from this Forum. Not "selling" something doesn't necessarily stop the legal hammers from smashing you flat.
    Mike

My understanding was that Universal wanted much more money to licence their IP than Ares was likely to get from selling the product. That was the biggest sticking point, I think. Ares wasn't selling this game at the same volume as Fantasy Flight's "X-Wing" game, nor was Ares going to devote as much money and resources to advertising and tournament development as Fantasy Flight has. BSG also doesn't have the same demographic/popularity as Star Wars, and Universal was probably not being realistic about their existing (minor) demographic.

Someone had far bigger dollar signs in their eyes than was ever going to come from BSG spin-offs. I don't know what other games or products were out there for BSG, but I suspect the producers of those products may have run into the same problem.
    Mike

Its a great game, I never had the pocket money to dip my toe in the water (which is a shame) but lets hope it lives long and prospers...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    lets hope it lives long and prospers...
    << face-palm >>
    That comment was deliberate, wasn't it?

It was, couldn’t help it...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    My understanding was that Universal wanted much more money to licence their IP than Ares was likely to get from selling the product. That was the biggest sticking point, I think. Ares wasn't selling this game at the same volume as Fantasy Flight's "X-Wing" game, nor was Ares going to devote as much money and resources to advertising and tournament development as Fantasy Flight has. BSG also doesn't have the same demographic/popularity as Star Wars, and Universal was probably not being realistic about their existing (minor) demographic.

Someone had far bigger dollar signs in their eyes than was ever going to come from BSG spin-offs. I don't know what other games or products were out there for BSG, but I suspect the producers of those products may have run into the same problem.

ok thanks. yeah there was no way it was ever going to compete with star wars. it just didnt have the fan base. im guessing universal though they could get a quick cash infusion from ares to make up for flagging movie ticket sales and the like. ssssssiiiiiiigggghhhh so basically greed ruins another ip.

ok thanks. yeah there was no way it was ever going to compete with star wars. ..
    Makes me think how different X-Wing would have been if Andrea had carried the project through.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"