Ares Games

Thread: Yeovil Model Show 24th October 2021

Default Yeovil Model Show 24th October 2021

Good evening all. I do not wish to tread on anyone's toes here but the organisers of Yeovil model show have again sent me the forms to complete, should we have members who want to attend again this year.

Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that I'll be travelling in Canada at that time, so two questions:

1) Can anyone else take this on?

2) Who is interested and can commit? I'm happy to do the paperwork if nobody else wants to.

Meanwhile here are the details:
    The venue has changed - Now to be held at "Westfield Academy", Yeovil. There is apparently good access, disabled toilets and free parking. It will be in a sports hall and a "Dome", the latter slightly larger than the hall. A range of refreshments will be on offer at reasonable prices including bacon and sausage butties, cakes, snacks, soft drinks, tea and coffee.

The show opens to the public from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm - site open from 7.30 am (earliest) to 6.00 pm.

Each exhibitor will have 12 feet of table space and five free entry wristbands. Additional wristbands are available at half price - ie £2.50 per adult.

In the past we have put on just a WWI demonstration game, but if somebody wants to add another table for WWII I'm sure they would be open to the suggestion.

If there is someone else willing to take on the admin I'll let you have the info and form via e mail. Just pm me please. My contact is Ken Bugler and he has requested a quick reply

Finally, I have added this show to the calendar.

Chau for now,

Mike

Definitely interested in this, but won't know if my work rota will allow it for a few weeks yet.

Week after Flight Club but I should be able to manage it. Do you wanna send me the paperwork Mike & I'll let Ken know.

Westfield Academy is in Stiby Rd, Yeovil BA21 3EP for info
    Last edited by flash; 10-14-2021 at 23:38.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Cheers Dave - I'll send you the paperwork this evening - have to go out now.
    laters and thanks

Paperwork sent to Ken.
    There are 5 wristbands with the game apparently - I will ask if we need more but don't hold your breath.

We have a table - details will follow I'm told.

I'll keep this one in mind; having already committed to "Flight Club" the week before, and with weekend work shifts to accommodate, I might not be able to attend, but we'll see.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This is the info I've received.

I am pleased to let you know your stand will be in the DOME.
    Wristbands can be collected on the day from the door.

Open from 7.30 am till 6.00 pm (There will be no one at the Academy until 7.30 to let us in)
    Please be set up by 9.45 am - Please do not dismantle stand till after 4.00 pm.

Open to public 10.00 am till 4.00 pm
    Bacon/sausage butties from 8.15 am

Here's the address again: Westfield Academy is in Stiby Rd, Yeovil BA21 3EP

They also sent directions:
    How to get to Westfield Academy

From Dorchester:
    Take the A 37 to Yeovil then you get to the roundabout at the top of Hendford hill (the quicksilver mail pub is directly in front of you ) take the 2nd exit down the hill A30 at the bottom of the hill at roundabout take the 2nd exit A30 along the duel carriageway to the next roundabout ( hospital in front of you ) take the 1st exit A37 at next roundabout take 2nd exit A37 toward Ilchester up the hill at traffic lights turn left on to Stiby road, ¼ of a mile to roundabout with co-op on the right, straight across roundabout and Westfield Academy is about ¼ mile on the left.
    When on the site follow the one-way system, to the sports hall and dome to unload.

From Sherborne:
    Take the A30 to Yeovil at the bottom of Babylon hill at the roundabout take the 2nd exit A30 into Yeovil past the Pen Mill Hotel on your right to the traffic lights, then straight on A30 bearing right up over Reckleford duel carriageway to the hospital roundabout take the 3rd exit A37 at next roundabout take 2nd exit A37 toward Ilchester up the hill; at traffic lights turn left on to Stiby road, ¼ of a mile to roundabout with co-op on the right, straight across roundabout and Westfield Academy is about ¼ mile on the left. When on the site follow the one-way system, to the sports hall and dome to unload.

From the A303 north or south:
    Take the turning to Ilchester A37 at the roundabout take the 2nd exit A37 to Yeovil follow the road to the next roundabout take the 2nd exit A37 toward town centre, past Tesco express on right hand side until you get to traffic lights turn right onto Stiby road, ¼ of a mile to roundabout with co-op on the right, straight across roundabout and Westfield Academy is about ¼ mile on the left.
    When on the site follow the one-way system, to the sports hall and dome to unload.
    Last edited by flash; 10-22-2021 at 08:43.

Well, a quiet show for us as usual but it was a nice gentle start to getting back into events.
    Fortunately I had Sean with me and the day passed quickly enough as we had a few laughs.

Here's the set up - next time I'll ask for a couple more tables as there is much more room at this new location.
    Name:  SAM_3572.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  143.7 KB

Sean and I had a go at intercepting the recon
    Name:  SAM_3573.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  147.7 KB

We were successful - engine damage is marked with thin trailing smoke
    Name:  SAM_3574.JPG
Size:  157.4 KB

As you'll see we didn't get it all our own way - I even collided with the darn thing !
    Name:  SAM_3575.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  152.8 KB

A second run through intercepting a bomber went well too
    Name:  SAM_3577.JPG
Size:  155.1 KB

After this run & a cuppa we entertained a couple of youngsters with intercepting the recon under the watchful eye of the ladies of the family, maybe they saw this in my go box !
    Name:  Kids show sign 2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  112.1 KB

Sean piloted the RE8 for us.
    The older lad did very well.. Sean regretted letting him off the jam !
    Name:  SAM_3576.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  155.4 KB

Later we played a couple of bounce scenarios:

I flew Voss' F.1 aginst Sean's Camel bouncing him from 8 o'clock - managed to set him on fire with the first attack
    Name:  SAM_3578.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  157.4 KB

Avoided worst of his reversal - at least he'd got it over before fire kicked in on the next turn.
    Name:  SAM_3579.JPG
Size:  162.7 KB

I scored with my reversal as he broke away
    Name:  SAM_3580.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  165.7 KB

He slipped away as I recovered
    Name:  SAM_3581.JPG
Size:  141.0 KB

He reversed again and we exchanged greetings once more - my guns jammed
    Name:  SAM_3582.JPG
Size:  150.4 KB

I reefed into a tight turn but he caught me at close range at +1 with no return
    Name:  SAM_3583.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  139.8 KB

It was enough !
    Name:  SAM_3584.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  147.5 KB

We played it again with his camel bouncing my F.1 from 11 0'clock
    Name:  SAM_3585.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  163.7 KB

We both turned left in some sort of weird head on avoidance move !
    Name:  SAM_3586.JPG
Size:  156.6 KB

I managed to nip round on him with a close range burst
    Name:  SAM_3587.JPG
Size:  159.9 KB

My second effort was frustrated as we overlapped
    Name:  SAM_3588.JPG
Size:  154.6 KB

But my next turn onto his tail brought me the result I sought
    Name:  SAM_3589.JPG
Size:  156.1 KB

Had the pleasure of meeting Simon (Syborg3d) who was visiting the show and chat about his 3D printing, seems he's otherwise busy replenishing his stock he sold at Partizan.
    Last edited by flash; 10-25-2021 at 08:59.

Nice photos. What is a "bounce scenario"?

Well done, nice displays

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Nice photos. What is a "bounce scenario"?
    I have developed scenarios for shows Dom, for the bounce scenario you roll to decide who gets bounced - the loser starts in the middle and the attacker rolls for where on the clock the attack comes from. It's an alternative to starting opposite sides of the table.

Similar Missions

1. South England Yeovil Model Show
    By mikeemagnus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2020, 15:01
  2. South England Yeovil Model Show
    By mikeemagnus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-04-2019, 12:05
  3. South England Yeovil Model Show 2019
    By flash in forum UK Wing