Ares Games

Thread: Card deck for Resolution of Crashes/Wounds in OTT Campaign

Default Card deck for Resolution of Crashes/Wounds in OTT Campaign

Hello friends,

I did card version of Resolution of Crashes/Wounds and Escape/Evasion as played in receant OTT Campaign rules. Original rules uses dice rols.

(FILES EDITED after post number 5) Here are the cards:
    kill deck1-2.pdf
    kill deck2-2.pdf

There are three types of cards.
    1. cards with black number 1-12, lets call them "draw deck"
    2. crash and wounds modifier cards (with red numbers and text), lets call them "CW deck"
    3. escape and evasion cards (with blue numbers and text), lets call them "EE deck"

How to use the cards:
    1. draw random card from "draw deck"
    2. choose cards from "CW deck" acording to your crash situation and add their value to the number drawn in first step to calculate your final number.
    3. look at the table on card drawn in the step 1. and see your result according to your final number.
    4. repeat steps 1-3 with "EE deck" instead of "CW" deck if needed.
    Last edited by bigpetr; 08-26-2021 at 07:04.

And I forget to add:

Boom symbols on "draw deck" cards are for "Forced return to base". If you draw one of them you crashed while force returning to base. They substitute doubles on dice when you do 2d6 roll.
    Last edited by bigpetr; 08-25-2021 at 14:07.

This looks interesting, Petr.

One thing, though.
    After rolling for the C&W result, there is usually another separate roll on D6 or D3 or D2 to determine the severity and resulting number of missions to skip.
    Yours does not seem to take that into account.

Thank you Pete.

I left out separate roll on D6,D3,D2 on purpose to make it as few steps as possible to resolve the crash. Resolve table on each draw card simulates this rolls as I tried to distribute number of skipped missions on them to somehow reflect outcome of the rolls as much as possible. I know it does not simulate the rolls to full extent mathematicaly, but the idea was to join two random rolls (D12 and resolve roll) to just one card draw for simplicity.

If there will be interrest for them I will be happy to add cards to substitute D6,D3 or D2 rolls. One imediate solution is to take just 1-6 cards from "draw deck" and random draw from them to simulate D6 roll. Similarly for D3 and D2 rolls. For me it was to much handling with the cards so I came up with the reslove table on the "draw deck" cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    .. the idea was to join two random rolls (D12 and resolve roll) to just one card draw for simplicity...
    They look amazing Petr but I could only see me using them in conjunction with the dice rolls at the moment.
    It's not a D12 roll but a 2D6 roll, so chances are 1:36 not 1:12. A previous player used a D12 (despite it clearly written in the rules) and lost a number of pilots before we understood where it was going wrong (when he rolled a 1 for C/W !)
    This could be accommodated by adding extra cards that make up for the numbers between 2 and 12 but I'd still find a dice rolls much quicker especially to determine the severity of injury.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thank you for the coment Dave.

I heve to beef up the number of cards to corect the chances.

Dice rolls are quicker for sure - I made this card as a possibility for guys like me, who are trying to avoid dice rolls in WoG .

Edited files attached to first post. Now there is 36 cards in "draw deck" to correctly simulate 2d6 roll. Thank you again for noticing my error, Dave.

Nice job, Petr.
    REP for your effort.

One minor nitpick ...
    In English it's Sea not See

Oh , I See the Sea. Corrected in the first post.

Missed this, when posted. Wow! Really well done.

I'll have to give them a detailed look, and compare them to the playtest version from the Campaign and Scenario Pack (still in development, AFAIK).

The playtest version is really minimalist, so the finished look will change, but the look of these cards is terrific.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    ...I'll have to give them a detailed look, and compare them to the playtest version from the Campaign and Scenario Pack (still in development, AFAIK)..
    Is the the Campaign and Scenario Pack using OTT's Resolution of Crashes/Wounds and Escape/Evasion then ?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Is the the Campaign and Scenario Pack using OTT's Resolution of Crashes/Wounds and Escape/Evasion then ?
    I don't think so. It uses a card deck to do several things: shot down resolution; crew fate; escape/evasion. The comparison will be interesting.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I don't think so. It uses a card deck to do several things: shot down resolution; crew fate; escape/evasion. The comparison will be interesting.
    Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what they're doing. Maybe they'll get it published in the next five or ten years !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what they're doing. Maybe they'll get it published in the next five or ten years !
    Please note: I won't be able to post a detailed comparision, as that might give away proprietory info. But, I will be giving Andrea a heads-up about this thread.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. California Help I lost a card Need the sharp right turn card N deck.
    By Legendmaker in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 22:01
  2. I card deck
    By tikkifriend in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 09:13
  3. Strategic Campaign with tactical WoG resolution?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 21:44
  4. pilot wounds
    By radzak in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 10:18