Ares Games

Thread: Let's Talk Storage and Transport.....Help Me Out!

Default Let's Talk Storage and Transport.....Help Me Out!

I confess, I'm a miniature wargame nut.. I would collect and play them all if I could. I've got X-Wing, Armada, Star Wars Legion, Star Trek Attack Wing, 40k, Battletech, and now Wings of Glory WWII, some Wings of Glory WWI, and yes even Battlestar Galactica Starship Battles.

For most of these games I use Plano tackle boxes as a means of storage and transport.

X-Wing, Armada, and Legion all use Plano 7771 and they are outstanding, if large boxes. Unfortunately, they are not a good fit for models with the wing span of Wings of Glory planes.

Attack Wing uses a Plano Double Cover Two Sided Tackle Organizer and a Plano Double Cover Tackle Organizer. Regrettably, these are no longer available for purchase. They would work with most of the planes of WoG but not the larger bombers I believe.

I have a Battlefoam PACK 720 for my 40k army, and on a whim I snagged a Battlefoam 1520XL (it was too good a deal to pass up). In all likelihood Armada, which is by far my largest collection, will move into the 1520 for storage.

Now we get to the point.......

What do YOU use for storage and transport of the models?

Any highly recommended options? (It looks like I missed out on the accessories store selling foam trays)

What did/do you use to transport the trays in? (I'm not opposed to some good ol' pluck foam and making my own trays)

I'm considering options in hopes of making a decision soon since my orders are starting to arrive and I have nowhere to put them!

Tyler - I've tried a few options and settled on this (adapted from teaticket's ideas):

For scouts and two-seaters: photo boxes from Michael's. They often have sales where a case that has 16 of the 4" x 6" boxes is $16, or you can buy a big pack of 8. I've also used the "5 x 7" boxes but the ones I was sent were 4 x 6. No matter, they can hold 4 planes in each box for most planes, for the larger two-seaters, 2 to a box. I use peel and stick felt and line the bottom and edges with it, then rip these kitchen drawer dividers lengthwise (table saw) then trim to fit a "+" pattern in each box. The plane card and sometimes the stand are stored with the plane, although I've gone to mostly generic stands. These make for compact, stackable storage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0819210116_HDR.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	305325

edit 7/7/2022: It finally dawned on me that I could use heavy card stock for the dividers which are:
    * easier to cut and work with
    * cheaper
    * slightly roomier for larger planes
    * a bit more flexible and forgiving for custom painted planes

I used 120 lb, 325 g/m2 weight paper, the type that's too thick to cycle through most laser printers. Thinner stock would probably not hold up as well. I cut the pieces 6" x 4" and about 1 1/8" tall so that the lid pinches down a bit and holds the paper in place. Even 4 Hannovers will fit comfortably. The pair of Rumplers pictured (and other larger planes) obviously require a different barrier.

Name:	0707221409.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	316853

Maneuver decks are stored in these: card holders in which I build a grid using the same kitchen drawer dividers (left to their full height although I trim the top edges with scissors to help the case close more easily). I store about 6 or 8 of each deck then keep the unneeded spares elsewhere. Decks are alphabetical and separated by spare plane cards or generic mini euro cards. They transport well and don't spill.

Name:	0405211127_HDR.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	305326

I use a Game Plus Flagship bag and foam to store the larger bombers, balloons, big shapeways models, etc. Miniature Market has good prices and occasional sales on that stuff. The pluck foam is not the greatest but can be fixed with superglue if it comes loose. The bag also holds a Plano with the game tokens, consoles, rulebooks, stands in baggies, etc.

Name:	0819210114.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	305327

Damage decks: I have several of each stored in: a Broken Token case for mini-size cards - I just like the ease of drawing from it. It gets hauled around in soft-side tool case that's attached to the Game Plus bag with a carabiner. Yes, it's overkill.

Name:	IMG_20200708_125450.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	305328

Name:	IMG_20200708_205547.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	305329
    Last edited by malachi; 07-07-2022 at 11:31. Reason: picture and description of card stock dividers

Talk about a thorough reply!!! Thank you very much these are some great ideas! I've been looking at a game plus bag plus their pluck foam so it's good to know that the bombers will fit there (even if they take up an entire foam brick themselves). What plano box have you found fits in them well for tokens? Since I'm mostly WWII I'm going to have quite a few damage tokens to tote around with me!

KR Multicase

https://www.krcases.com

Name:	KR trays.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	305343

The Wings trays hold either

8 scouts (ideal for Shapeways/AIM, which come without deck, base, pegs etc.
    4 scouts + decks, base, pegs
    2 scouts, 2 two-seaters + deck, base, pegs
    balloon + base, pegs, counters
    WW2 3 twin-engine planes + bits
    WW2 2 Medium bombers + bits

the list goes on and on
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Tyler, for WWII I use the Ares draw bags to hold damage chits. For Plano almost any will work for tokens. I use the Plano 2-3601-00 Thin Stowaway because it's thin to store in the Games Plus bag.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ECQPSO...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by malachi; 06-17-2022 at 05:16.

Dunno what I'm gonna do now that Keith's out of the game. Right now most of my planes are in their original boxes in Panera catering boxes, where they've been ever since Nexus died.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Lightbulb

Storage of Minis
    I am using Feldherr Pick and Pluck foams in combination with their bags for them.
    There is even a very old How To article "How to make a box for minis from Deluxe Set" about it (in those times I had very few minis so I could use original DeLuxe Set box.

Storage of maneuvre decks and bases
    Originaly I have all decks in thick foam inside the bag with my minis, but they started to be quite heavy for foam and I also need more space for my tiny preci...uhm, minis. Ladinek,LGS owner, came with an idea that our cards fits perfectly into boxfrom Codenames box and there are also a special wooden insert for it. Works very well I must say!

Organizing of card decks
    Soon I had a big trouble with finding a proper deck between others, so I created special set of stripes for the game. There are four types: WGF, WGF with bases, WGS and WGS with bases. There are also How To articles for plain version and version with bases.

Others
    I have also a fine experience with "Tim's" KR Multicases that I use for my SoG collection (with a backpack) + they really helped me with my questions and with designing what I should buy (= high level of client service). I can recommend them? A+

Post Scriptum: I can not take a photo or two right now (my colection is simply elsewhere), but I will upload photos later. Some of them are in linked How To articles.

KR Multicase for my entire collection of Wings WWI & WWII and Sails of Glory.

Thanks to all info given above. I'm a Flagship Container/Aerodrome Trays guy, but all of those are good options. (And something I'll have to look into if Drome trays are not available going forward.....).
    Thanks to Von Scharf for showing his storage on the Drome, a solving my storage dilemma first.

Hmm, I have two game bags from years ago, one holds 4 trays I think and one holds 8, and I have a box full of the cut foam trays, some place one for balloons too . . . if they are of interest I will put them up for sale or trade . . . haven't played in over 10 years now and the way things are going here in Clipperdom I may need to thin the herd a bit . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Hmm, I have two game bags from years ago, one holds 4 trays I think and one holds 8, and I have a box full of the cut foam trays, some place one for balloons too . . . if they are of interest I will put them up for sale or trade . . . haven't played in over 10 years now and the way things are going here in Clipperdom I may need to thin the herd a bit . . .
    I am very interested, shot you a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    KR Multicase
    I bought one of those but my collection quickly out grew the cardboard case.......I ordered more foam inserts and found these sturdy lockable storage cases at Wally World which are slightly bigger than the K&R box but can hold eight of the foam inserts. They also have a mesh pocket inside the lid that holds player boards, rulers crib sheets and damage decks

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vaultz-Lo...-Lock/32285825

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    I bought one of those but my collection quickly out grew the cardboard case.......
    I'm now at 21 standard cardboard cases, plus 4 double depth ones.
    Then there are my seven steel cases - 3 standard sized, and 4 double sized.

That's not just "Wings" WW1 and WW2 though...they also hold all my Future Wars, Wild West, D&D, X-Wing and Star Wars figures and models.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I have all my WWI aircraft (except balloons) in two of those Walmart boxes, one each allied and German

I really need to buy another for SWMBO's Gotha though!

I have 3 battle bags (2 for 16 trays and 1 for 8) purchased from the AA store years ago.
    I also have several (I'm not going to count them) 46 qt. Sterlite totes, which hold 16 trays apiece.
    The thread I posted about them is here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...orage%3B+trays

All my trays are AA made, both early and current models. Most of the various pluck foam trays should work with them, though the flexability
    of the trays may cause an issue.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I updated post #2 since I'm working on getting all my planes finally stored. It finally dawned on me that heavy card stock paper dividers were the way to go. Working great and makes the boxes easy to create with peel & stick felt.

Attachment 316854

Similar Missions

1. Apparently I talk too much as well!
    By Flying Helmut in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-14-2016, 12:36
  2. Apparently I talk too much.
    By Foz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 14:06
  3. Transport and Storage Box - The finished product
    By IronBravo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2015, 16:44
  4. My storage/transport solution
    By Suffern in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 10:08
  5. Now then, let's talk about your quality control......
    By Guntruck in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 18:44