Ares Games

Thread: Introduction dates of various British fighters post-1940

Default Introduction dates of various British fighters post-1940

So I'm working on a set of rules for "rhubarb" patrols, ranging from December 1940 to sometime in 1943, and I wanted to have it be so that you can choose any month within that time period and have more aircraft at your disposal as a result. However, it's quite hard to find the specific introduction dates for specific variants, and some sources are contradictory.

So far, the list I have for British fighters after 1940 (but not after 1943) is as follows:
    • Spitfire Mk. Va (February 1941)
    • Spitfire Mk. Vb (February? 1941)
    • Spitfire Mk. Vc (October 1941)
    • Hurricane Mk. IIC (June 1941)
    • Typhoon Mk. Ia (May 1942)
    • Spitfire Mk. IX (July 1942)
    • Typhoon Mk. Ib (July 1942)
    • Hurricane Mk. IV (May 1943)

If anyone who knows more about this sort of thing could let me know where I've A) left out variants or B) gotten dates wrong could lend me a hand, that would be great!

After more research, I can more safely conclude that "rhubarbs" continued until July 1944, so I will have almost certainly missed out on some planes then!

If you really want to pin down specific dates its probably best to look at individual squadrons you know operated that aircraft and when they converted to type. Lots of higher level sources will generally just have a first flight of first production delivery date. For quite a few types (Spit V and IX) in particular it took quite some time for the relatively high number of converted aircraft to filter back to squadron service (the actual modification of the airframe was the quicker part of the process).

Depending on the level you want to research, the UK national archives still have free digital access due covid and you can find the actual Sqn operational record books there https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...oks-1939-1945/

Hi Aidan, the Whirlwinds of 137 and 263 squadrons did a lot of rhubarb and mandolin ops 1941-1943.

Lest we forget

Similar Missions

1. 3D printed peg for F-Toys fighters or any 1/144 fighters
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-28-2020, 15:51
  2. Austro-Hungarian Army Fighters Part 3 the Phonix fighters
    By john snelling in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 16:14
  3. U.K. WW2 Release dates.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing