Ares Games

Thread: Gauging Interest in Resin 3D printed aircraft

Default Gauging Interest in Resin 3D printed aircraft

I have seen several posts here from folks customizing their own planes using 3D printed resin models. I know there are several suppliers already out there, but I'm wondering if there is any demand for these resin planes at a reasonable price. I'm very likely going to pick up one of these printers over the next few months for reasons not related to Wings of Glory. If there is some interest in getting good quality prints from this community I would be happy to help fill the demand. I have my eyes on some good STL files and the printer I am buying would be very high resolution so prints would be very detailed. I'm not looking to start a business doing this, but rather to help offset the cost of the slicer software required to turn STL files into resin printable files.

I would ship from the US, but I could always use Ebay private listings (so we could take advantage of their low cost global shipping program) to facilitate cheaper international shipping.

Regardless of demand here I will move forward with the printer, I'm mostly asking here and now to see if I should begin sourcing STL files and if so which planes are the most desired.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by IronOkie View Post
    I have seen several posts here from folks customizing their own planes using 3D printed resin models. I know there are several suppliers already out there, but I'm wondering if there is any demand for these resin planes at a reasonable price. I'm very likely going to pick up one of these printers over the next few months for reasons not related to Wings of Glory. If there is some interest in getting good quality prints from this community I would be happy to help fill the demand. I have my eyes on some good STL files and the printer I am buying would be very high resolution so prints would be very detailed. I'm not looking to start a business doing this, but rather to help offset the cost of the slicer software required to turn STL files into resin printable files.

I would ship from the US, but I could always use Ebay private listings (so we could take advantage of their low cost global shipping program) to facilitate cheaper international shipping.

Regardless of demand here I will move forward with the printer, I'm mostly asking here and now to see if I should begin sourcing STL files and if so which planes are the most desired.
    I would be interested, especially if the quality is one that I could paint. While I like the fact that pieces come pre-painted, I think it would be fun to have some customized ones, especially if there is enough detail. I remember ordering from Shapeways once and not really doing much with them because the models lacked that definition I wanted.

It also boils down to price...but I think it's a smart idea to make a little side money from the printer if you have, even if to pay for materials. best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fashion View Post
    I would be interested, especially if the quality is one that I could paint. While I like the fact that pieces come pre-painted, I think it would be fun to have some customized ones, especially if there is enough detail. I remember ordering from Shapeways once and not really doing much with them because the models lacked that definition I wanted.

It also boils down to price...but I think it's a smart idea to make a little side money from the printer if you have, even if to pay for materials. best of luck.
    Thank you, obviously I don't know for sure until I go to work but everything I'm seeing from the new 4k resin printers makes me believe the quality would be as good, if not better, than the injection molded planes from Ares. The only downside would be a lack of clear canopies. Of course a skilled painter could mimic that effect with blue and white paint, but it's not easy to do. Personally I'd just do a black scheme for a tint effect.

Appreciate the feedback!

Hi Tyler - there are a few of us here with that experience so feel free to ask around.

Personally, I've printed an sold a few models directly which paid for the couple more resin bottles but the learning curve to get to that point is quite steep - it took me 2-3 months to get confident.
    I've been using a free copy of the Chitubox slicer software, though the printer does come with it's own slicer.

The models are equivalent to the shapeways detailed plastic but it can take several tries to get the orientations correct and the supports to work properly.
    It's also quite a messy process.
    e.g. ww2 monoplanes often end up with extreme washout at the wingtips unless you add more supports to the middle and top faces at the ends of the wings. The support attachment points also make small dimples in the models but those can be carefully sanded off.

From what I read, the 4K printers mostly just bigger 2K printers, the resolutions are about the same but you can print more in a single run.
    I can manage 5 or 6 1/144 WW1 planes on a single run of 3-4 hours so a 2K printer is more than adequate for my work. (anycubic mono)

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Hi Tyler - there are a few of us here with that experience so feel free to ask around.

Personally, I've printed an sold a few models directly which paid for the couple more resin bottles but the learning curve to get to that point is quite steep - it took me 2-3 months to get confident.
    I've been using a free copy of the Chitubox slicer software, though the printer does come with it's own slicer.

The models are equivalent to the shapeways detailed plastic but it can take several tries to get the orientations correct and the supports to work properly.
    It's also quite a messy process.
    e.g. ww2 monoplanes often end up with extreme washout at the wingtips unless you add more supports to the middle and top faces at the ends of the wings. The support attachment points also make small dimples in the models but those can be carefully sanded off.

From what I read, the 4K printers mostly just bigger 2K printers, the resolutions are about the same but you can print more in a single run.
    I can manage 5 or 6 1/144 WW1 planes on a single run of 3-4 hours so a 2K printer is more than adequate for my work. (anycubic mono)

Awesome! I may need some help in the near future! I don't plan to make money with the printer I'm just hoping to offset some of the costs of my own projects. It seems like many of the newer printers are going with subscription models for the slicers and giving you a year free, and then it's on you after that. I'd love to find a free one that can be used without needing a license but I have not dug into that part just yet.

Re 2k vs 4k, whether it's an increased resolution or not depends on the size of the LCD. Most of the 4k printers have bigger LCDs, so like Paul said, it's more space at the same quality. However, there are a handful of 4k printers with smaller screens – those so have the potential to print in slightly higher detail (one of my printers, the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k, is an example of that sort). And don't forget that the LCD resolution only applies to the XY axis.

Personally, I want to print more for the game, but I'm still waiting for more high quality WWI era aviation STLs to become available for purchase. There are surprisingly few out there!

I would be interested. Depends on the models and how they look.

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Re 2k vs 4k, whether it's an increased resolution or not depends on the size of the LCD. Most of the 4k printers have bigger LCDs, so like Paul said, it's more space at the same quality. However, there are a handful of 4k printers with smaller screens – those so have the potential to print in slightly higher detail (one of my printers, the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k, is an example of that sort). And don't forget that the LCD resolution only applies to the XY axis.

Personally, I want to print more for the game, but I'm still waiting for more high quality WWI era aviation STLs to become available for purchase. There are surprisingly few out there!
    Do you happen to have a good source of ww2 STL's?

Quote Originally Posted by IronOkie View Post
    Do you happen to have a good source of ww2 STL's?
    I don't, I've stuck to WGF to keep the collection reasonable, so I haven't been on the lookout for anything after that era.

lots of free WW2 STL's here https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/c...?orderby=price
    They're all 1:100 but you can resize them in the slicer.

I may put a couple of my WW1 models on Thingiverse shortly for those with printers.

EDIT:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4940264
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4940260

Happy printing...
    Last edited by decapod; 08-24-2021 at 05:57.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Paul, oh nice, thanks. I can add a load of those to my printing/painting queue, so many models so little time.

Tyler, as Paul said earlier I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can offer lots of help and advice from our experience of 3D printing.

i have a couple non wings items id be interested in.

AEG Bomber 1/144 scale 3D printed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new stuff 016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	308557

Name:	new stuff 004.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	308558