Ares Games
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: online wings of war - testers and helpers wanted

Khan-Dam

Red face

Ok !

I've download the game, install it and try one time to play every thing is ok for me

I'm going to redraw movement cards

Last edited by Khan-Dam; 02-02-2011 at 14:48.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Hi all,
    new client and server were deployed.

New language (German) was added (thx to Vestifex)
    Fix in French localization (thx to Khan-Dam)
    Fix in Sopwith Camel description (thx to postal_bob)

Fix in server synchronization (really ugly bug) thx to all who reported it

....AND...
    Khan-Dam prepared new pictures of movements. Tasting is included in last release - red cross is replaced by his work. Other pictures will be shown when all decks will be ready.

You can download client on same place as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    A pregame chat would be good also a visual represetation for smoke and fire for the plane on the board. That way everyone knows who is smoking or on fire without waiting for the prompt and it would look cool.
    So Michal can we consider the following three items for upgrade:
    1. pre game chat
    2. smoke and flames on aircraft
    3. altitude visible in/on/near the aircraft in play?

I have also noticed the movement cards are not accurate for the Fokker D VII. Not all the stall cards for a D VII are steep maneuvers. It would appear that certain cards have been identified by the software as steep moves for all aircraft and then applied to all aircraft in the same way. This significantly changes the flight characteristics in the online game from the planes in the tabletop game. I wonder if this is the case for other aircraft. Perhaps the other play testers can provide input.

All in all very good. I tried some testing and a 1 on 1 fight last night.
    A couple of small things added would be nice:

1) Could you add a confirmation button after the last maneuver selected to show you are ready for the turn to process?
    If you are the last to play your 3rd maneuver and choose wrongly or want to test some options, the game processes the turn straight away and you're stuck with that maneuver.

2) Show the type of planes that players have selected in the "Lobby" - I saw my opponent had an allied plane, but I couldn't recognise it by the picture (I'm fairly new to the game) It turned out to be a Neiuport 17.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Hi all,

my TO-DO list:
    confirmation button (all 3 maneuvers are wanted) will be added (it should be simple, too)

pre-game chat will be added asap (I suppose next week is possible deadline)
    altitude (I wish add possibility to play without altitude and without explosion cards - it will be configurable and display planes that are not in shooting range lighter - similar to ghost feature)

adding plane type as string in lobby is again simple and should be added in next build
    smoke and flames is only visual thing (its priority is not very high but it could be simple - if someone create pictures)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I have also noticed the movement cards are not accurate for the Fokker D VII. Not all the stall cards for a D VII are steep maneuvers. It would appear that certain cards have been identified by the software as steep moves for all aircraft and then applied to all aircraft in the same way. This significantly changes the flight characteristics in the online game from the planes in the tabletop game. I wonder if this is the case for other aircraft. Perhaps the other play testers can provide input.
    I will check again maneuver decks to revalidate it.

Khan-Dam

Ok Missaak i work on graphical smoke and fire panache

A mistake in my translation:

start = > L apartita ha inizio!

is

start = > La partita ha inizio!

Michal in the login panel there's Register. I don't find it to translate. In Italian is "Registrati" if you can change it.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    A mistake in my translation:

start = > L apartita ha inizio!

is

start = > La partita ha inizio!

Michal in the login panel there's Register. I don't find it to translate. In Italian is "Registrati" if you can change it.

Attilio
    and:

join = Il giocatore {0} si č connesso al gioco con l'aeroplano {1}.

it's showed as

join = Il giocatore {0} si č connesso al gioco con laeroplano {1}.

there's also "Enable notificatio". I don't find it to translate. In Italian is "Abilita notifiche" if you can change it.

and:

join = Il giocatore {0} si č connesso al gioco con l'aeroplano {1}.

it's showed as

join = Il giocatore {0} si č connesso al gioco con laeroplano {1}.

there's also "Enable notificatio". I don't find it to translate. In Italian is "Abilita notifiche" if you can change it.
    and my mistake:

limit_left = SISTEMA: Timone immobilizzato, non puoi manovrare a destra.
    limit_right = SISTEMA: Timone immobilizzato, non puoi manovrare a sinistra.

are

limit_left = SISTEMA: Timone immobilizzato, non puoi manovrare a sinistra.
    limit_right = SISTEMA: Timone immobilizzato, non puoi manovrare a destra.

Anyone else having trouble launching any games today? (Feb 2nd). I can't get deathmatches or testing to launch. Could just be my connection and the weather here in the states.

I just tried it, and it doesn't work for me. After logging in I get the following error in the console:

Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 4, Si
    ze: 4
    at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.b.a.e(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.f.b.e.b(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.f.b.e.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.f.b.d.a(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.client.Client.a(Unknown Source)
    at net.skrdla.ww.client.g.run(Unknown Source)

Then, I can bring up the new match dialog, but pressing Login button just closes the dialog, and does nothing else.

Todd

Just tried reinstalling, but no luck. I can see a few other people with games, but cannot log into them.

I cannot see other games (no one may be playing) nor can I launch one and see it today. I have been having problem since this new release seeing games after game play, I often have to quit and relaunch before it lets me start or join another game. Wonder if this is a problem anyone else is having.

Works now! 13:15 PM
    Last edited by Canuck; 02-02-2011 at 10:15.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

hi all,
    it is caused by Khan who added in his installation new planes.. this plane is not known for server and other clients and it causes problems
    game is not proof agains outside modification. I wrote him to use existing files for experiments
    m.

Khan-Dam

sorry for that

Quote Originally Posted by missaak View Post
    hi all,
    it is caused by Khan who added in his installation new planes.. this plane is not known for server and other clients and it causes problems
    game is not proof agains outside modification. I wrote him to use existing files for experiments
    m.
    My bad, just changed the png file to see what an Me110 would look like, nothing else.

Sorry,

Dave.

All good, seems to be launching now, how did the Me110 look?

I would also love to try the demo!

Quote Originally Posted by Etairos View Post
    All good, seems to be launching now, how did the Me110 look?
    Looked good, in my ignorance I chose a Ufag so by accident I even had a rear gunner

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Khan-Dam View Post
    sorry for that
    it's my fault that I don't warn you before

I'm wondering how hard it would be to run my "Devil's Cloverleaf" non-historical event with this.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

confirmation button (all 3 maneuvers are wanted) will be added (it should be simple, too)
    adding plane type as string in lobby is again simple and should be added in next build
    these two things were added
    and also
    fixed to avoid today behavior (it is just more hacker proof )
    spanish localization (thx to my sister and nihay)
    fixes in italian localization (as wrote Attila)
    new status panel with info about connection status and server version

please update your clients - zip file is on same place as before
    Last edited by missaak; 02-02-2011 at 14:59.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'm wondering how hard it would be to run my "Devil's Cloverleaf" non-historical event with this.
    hard to tell.. what would you expect?

these two things were added
    and also
    fixed to avoid today behavior (it is just more hacker proof )
    spanish localization (thx to my sister and nihay)
    fixes in italian localization (as wrote Attila)
    new status panel with info about connection status and server version

please update your clients - zip file is on same place as before

Looks good, although the third manuever doesn't show up now as a 'ghost'.

Tested today again a bit, the third manuever showed up using Kirschs DR1 after selecting the confirmation button, but when I tried other planes and went back to that particular one I could not repeat it.
    Last edited by Etairos; 02-03-2011 at 09:28. Reason: More Info

hard to tell.. what would you expect?
    Well, I'm thinking the Hard Part would be the pylons the planes have to race around -- contact with one is an A-deck draw for each movement which enters, passes through, or exits the space it occupies (the pylon takes no damage). They are placed in a square pattern, one range-ruler rim-to-rim, and cannot be moved. So: Is there a function in the program which allows this to be done?

Also, there's a start/finish line which has to be accounted for -- this being a race, it is important who crosses the line before whom.

It would appear everything else is adequately covered. :)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Well, I'm thinking the Hard Part would be the pylons the planes have to race around -- contact with one is an A-deck draw for each movement which enters, passes through, or exits the space it occupies (the pylon takes no damage). They are placed in a square pattern, one range-ruler rim-to-rim, and cannot be moved. So: Is there a function in the program which allows this to be done?

Also, there's a start/finish line which has to be accounted for -- this being a race, it is important who crosses the line before whom.

It would appear everything else is adequately covered.
    Collisions between pylons and planes will be problem becase WoW counts only center of plane.
    I'm not sure about this campaign :-o What I will add is possibility to make campaigns with ground units.

Colmarekblack

How long do people have to wait to get a game? I've been online for an hour and not been able to get one . I'm logging in correctly and there is no option highlighted other than new game. I clicked it and selected my aircraft but nothing is happening.

What am I doing wrong?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarekblack View Post
    How long do people have to wait to get a game? I've been online for an hour and not been able to get one . I'm logging in correctly and there is no option highlighted other than new game. I clicked it and selected my aircraft but nothing is happening.
    What am I doing wrong?
    nothing but you chose wrong time.. when nobody is here you cannot play against somebody

Colmarekblack

What is the best time then?

Hit and miss really. I try late at night Europe time, after dinner NA times and weekend afternoon. Find someone about 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarekblack View Post
    What is the best time then?
    I'm online right now if you want to test it out. My username is J33pfan.

Todd

I try to be on a lot, even if it's only for 10-15 minutes at a time. You never know when people will hop on. Even if anyone sees me testing, feel free to "watch" and send me a message, usually I just do that to kill some time and test some moves. Hopefully when a chat lobby gets made we'll be able to see how many people might be on, but don't want to launch a game!

Quote Originally Posted by Etairos View Post
    I try to be on a lot, even if it's only for 10-15 minutes at a time. You never know when people will hop on. Even if anyone sees me testing, feel free to "watch" and send me a message, usually I just do that to kill some time and test some moves. Hopefully when a chat lobby gets made we'll be able to see how many people might be on, but don't want to launch a game!
    same here. when I usually try to get on there is nobody on. I jump into test and mess around. If you see me on feel free to jump in and we can start a new game

Michal,

I haven't the original english of mostra la fantasma but I think the best translation could be mostra effetto movimento (you show with a ghost(?) a preview of the next locations of the plane)

Mostra la griglia (my translation) could be better as Mostra griglia

German could be translated in Imperi Centrali and Allied in Alleati

Michal,

if I try to observe a game I don't see anything I receive only notifications... I update the client this morming

Vestifex

Collisions between pylons and planes will be problem becase WoW counts only center of plane.
    This leads me to the question, how you calculate the ranges for the hits?
    As in the original rule you just have to hit any point of the enemy planes card.
    Did you add some bonus like card-width/2 to the ranges of the ruler?

It happens quite often to me that, I think I should have hit, as the enemy plane is under the firing preview, but I didn't get to the middle of the plane.

I can't find where to download the program.It's possible to have a link? thanks

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Vestifex View Post
    This leads me to the question, how you calculate the ranges for the hits?
    As in the original rule you just have to hit any point of the enemy planes card.
    Did you add some bonus like card-width/2 to the ranges of the ruler?

It happens quite often to me that, I think I should have hit, as the enemy plane is under the firing preview, but I didn't get to the middle of the plane.
    Hm, next rule that we play in wrong way. We played firing that center of opponent's plane must be in firing range. So my program computes hits in same way.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

hi all,
    I deployed new version on server and updated client on my website - please download this new client.

what's new:
    chat in lobby
    login dialog redesign

reorganization of moves + new pictures (thx to Khan)
    updates in localization (some new messages were added and I'm waiting for complete translation)
    some bugs were fixed (displaying of third ghost, observing games, clearing limitations)

Looks good, now just need people to log on!

Michal: Thanks for getting the lobby chat implemented. That will make it a lot easier to find opponents.

Thanks also to Khan for the new movement cards. They look great!

It's turning out to be a really cool, and very addictive, game! Keep up the good work.

Todd
    (WOW Online: j33pfan)

Is the new client in the same place as before? I tried to update it and I see no changes.

Hey all,
    Skullduggery and I care going to try to set a blanket time to play weekdays starting around 11pm. EST. (-5 GMT). May not be everynight, but we'll try. So if anyone wants to show u we can try some bigger games. You may see us on Noon-2 pm depending on the week day as well.

Hope some pilots can try to make it!

Look's and sounds great from what the other players say. This truly does make the game international, however being computor dyslexic I am going to have to get my son's (yes it will take all 3 of them) to teach me how to play! So I will abstain from joining in at so moment, but definitly do want to have a go!

Michal,

if I try to observe a game I don't see anything I receive only notifications... I update the client this morming
    I found a reason for it. If the wingmen are choosing their movement card when you connect to the game as an observer you can't see the airplanes until they end to choose them. If it's a multi-player game you wait minutes without any apparent response from the server

Quote Originally Posted by Von Pupp View Post
    I can't find where to download the program.It's possible to have a link? thanks
    As Missaak wrote send him a PM.

Attilio

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by toddwf View Post
    maybe someone could propagate our version on BGG

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michal Skrdla
    Sorties Flown

I found a reason for it. If the wingmen are choosing their movement card when you connect to the game as an observer you can't see the airplanes until they end to choose them. If it's a multi-player game you wait minutes without any apparent response from the server

yes, it is true but I can send previous state for watchers.. no problem.. in next version ;-)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Big Online Stores Showing WWI DRS Releasing in Feb '11?
    By Super Handley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 22:40
  2. Site: Back online at the new host
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 18:58
  3. Wanted: Aussie airforce ideas
    By Riot in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 03:02
  4. Wings of War PBEM Flyers wanted