Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Aug 2021

Post Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 Aug 2021

AAR #1 CrashCraig brought his official Wings of Glory mats, so we laid two of them out and set up for a balloon hunting expedition. John had two AA machine guns mounted on trucks and a captured Sopwith camel against Craig with a Nieuport 17 and I flew a Nieuport 11 with rockets. I did not mind that John had the trucks pointing towards the sides of the mat. I figured our two airplanes could get by his single aircraft in the middle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800-IMG_0925.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	304972

Craig and I are waiting to start, but Todd arrived just as we were about to move so he joined the German side with an Albatros D.III.

Name:	800-IMG_0926.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	304973

Craig got past John and I gave some smoke to Todd. The Nieuport 11 may be slow and only B-firing, but it can be deadly.

Name:	800-IMG_0927.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	304974

Unfortunately, Todd and John decided to concentrate on the airplane with no rockets and Craig went down in No Man's Land.

Name:	800-IMG_0928.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	304975

Trying to be clever and get two rocket attacks on the balloon, I fired after half my rockets after a stall. However I had planned a second stall and one cannot have consecutive steep maneuvers. I had to replace the second stall with a straight and draw an A damage card. That card had special damage (engine damage) so my rockets went haywire. Todd was able to close the gap and gave me two A-damage cards at short range. It was all over for the French.

Name:	800-IMG_0929.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	304976
    So how many books are in your personal library?

AAR #2 Since that game went rather quickly and I learned a valuable lesson about balloon attacks, we tried again. John adjusted the trucks so the machine guns were pointed directly ahead of the balloon. Todd switched to an Albatros D.II to slightly balance the game. A similar start as the previous game with Craig and I flying up the middle of the mat. Here Todd got a little too close and his airplane card is under my model.

Name:	800-IMG_0930.jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	304977

I maneuvered to get in front of the balloon to launch my rockets and Craig fired his A machine guns at long range.
    "Does my shooting count?"
    "Of course it does."
    "Do we show balloon damage"
    "Yes, we do"
    And what damage it was! That was fortunate, because I looked at the D-damage card for my rocket attack and it was a zero.

Name:	800-IMG_0931.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	304978

AAR #3 Since the balloon attacks were 1 win and 1 loss for the French, I asked Todd if he wanted to go for a tie-breaker. No dice. So we played a very long dogfight scenario. John, still with his captured Sopwith Camel, and Todd with a Fokker D.VII against Craig with a Sopwith Camel and I with a SE5.a.

Airplanes that pass in the sky.

Name:	800-IMG_0932.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	304984

Long range head on attack for Todd and myself.

Name:	800-IMG_0933.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	304985

Amongst all the bobbing and weaving going on, CrashCraig takes too much damage and noses down.

Name:	800-IMG_0934.jpg 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	304986

Now it is two on one and I am smoking. Not in a good way. We that had about 30-45 minutes of darting about the sky with Todd taking pot shots at me with little effect. I had to be careful of my planned maneuvers since about half of the SE5.a's cards are steep maneuvers. Not so the the nimble Fokker D.VII.

Name:	800-IMG_0935.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	304987

Unfortunately, I caught a fire damage card. Todd decided to get out of my way and let the three fire damage draws do their dirty work. And they did. But I had a nice collection of zeroes and ones before that fire started.

Name:	800-IMG_0936.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	304988

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    AAR #1 ... However I had planned a second stall and one cannot have consecutive steep maneuvers. I had to replace the second stall with a straight and draw an A damage card. That card had special damage (engine damage) so my rockets went haywire...
    Think you were too harsh on yourself there, Robert, the rules specify 'enemy fire' to cause the special damage that ruins a launch but I can see the logic. Great to see you chaps in action, well played all.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Great photos Robert! I hope to join the picture parade next monh!

Great stuff!
    Thanks for posting.

I do like the little flags (and the repaint Fokker D.VII is a corker!)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 June 2021
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-06-2021, 22:11
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 6 May 2021
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 09:06
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 6 Feb 2020
    Replies: 10